How does the future of DCS WW2 look if Matt Wagner is rights about a global map?

I think it would add immensely to replayability. Being able to setup a mission anywhere in the world outside of extremes like the poles would be grand.

The ED devs could contract the work out as to not affect their in-house module developments.

Civilian flight dev groups have done it using computer generated techniques with terrific detail so it is quite doable.

I am all for it.

• ED Team
I am in favour, but at $50 or so a section, it’ll be expensive & if it takes as long as Nevada, I won’t be on the planet that long. Still in favour though

It will speed up for sure, there are more maps in development than this time last year, some you guys haven't even heard about yet ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I am in favour, but at $50 or so a section, it’ll be expensive

I'd wager a part of that $50 pricetag is due to the development of the tools needed to make said map in the first place.

I bet prices will drop now (or at least I hope so). The Falklands map for example, that RAZBAM is working on, mainly consists of sea so I'd think that map won't take as long to make as some of the others, and will also be cheaper.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 2 weeks later...
Wags says that a "whole earth round model" is an aspiration for DCS. Given that the Normandy map is historically bound, and would not merge well with the modern maps (NTTR, Caucasus, Gulf etc..) for geographic, aesthetic and operational reasons, does this mean, effectively that DCS will not be producing any more WW2 maps?

I would expect that everyone can see some significant issues with "flying from . . the Caucasus on to Normandy" etc in such a model . . .

Obviously this "whole earth model" is probably a number of years away (so no need to panic right now), but if that is the long-term goal for DCS, then the question of other WW2 maps appearuing for us warbird customers is possibly answered already, no?

Additionally, does this mean that other historically-basde maps (Vietnam, Korea etc..) are not on the development agenda either, as they would potentially copnflict with the "whole earth model"?

Source:

I remember this concept from the early days of Oleg Maddox' Cliffs of Dover.

He posted a vid of a global map, zooming in on the local theatre. Very exciting stuff. Can't find the link, for some reason.

Anything is possible I suppose. Its simply a question of return on investment. Lots of money raised and then spent on development.

Witness 'Star Citizen', or better known as the 'Never Ending Story'.

How many people across the globe would spend the amount of money required to purchase a home computer capable of delivering the full experience?

Only a few. And there hangs the tale.....

The Solution to this problem is quite simple. Add a calendar to the mission editor on the user side. On the developer side add a timestamp to all objects with an "Service Entry date" and a "Service End Date". If the object whether a building, Air, Land, or Sea asset has a service date later than the date you choose for your operation, then it will not even show up in the mission editor.

This could even be done for complete airfields. Spitfires and Mustangs Still exist in the modern world, so you could leave the Service end date open. Buildings or airfields that no longer exist, you would use the "Service End Date" to exclude them from modern maps.

-Woog

I remember this concept from the early days of Oleg Maddox' Cliffs of Dover.

He posted a vid of a global map, zooming in on the local theatre. Very exciting stuff. Can't find the link, for some reason.

Anything is possible I suppose. Its simply a question of return on investment. Lots of money raised and then spent on development.

Witness 'Star Citizen', or better known as the 'Never Ending Story'.

How many people across the globe would spend the amount of money required to purchase a home computer capable of delivering the full experience?

Only a few. And there hangs the tale.....

That's not entirely true potentially, with ED developing it's own engine with (Vulkan api) that could deliver the possibility of the world in the future with this level of graphics.

DirectX 11/12, OpenGL, VulkanAPI Discussion

DCS Article about Vulkan

-

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I've been hoping DCS go in the World map direction for a long time now.

I understand that it would require a ton of work and a lot of the area wouldn't get used much.

I recon they could do a half and half.

I noticed on the Caucuas map in 2.5 that if you zoom all the way out you can see they applied a sat image to the shore line of the map. When you zoom in or get close it changes to a default texture.

How about a world with some what accurate height / elevation of the land mass, but no buildings, and default textures. Like we see with the Crimean Peninsulain, compared to how it used to look. Or the south area from Batumi. It's the flat land that I would like to see go.

We've got the unit assets, so we could create a target for ourselves. If they can create a temporary landing strip which we can land and take off from which works like the FARP's, then we can at least fly over the area and not pretend the Caucasus has become some where else.

Over time, DCS could create new terrains and theaters which get overlay-ed onto the default world map. Hopefully both modern and historical.

It would be interesting if I could start at Krasnodar and fly all the way to the Persian Gulf area and do a strike and then fly back. Flying high, lot's of clouds, a basic satellite image over the land mass. Or see how long it takes me to fly from Gelendzhik to Cairn in the SU-33 or Harrier.