Automatic fuel control?

Vino

I did a test flight yesterday with new drop tanks. I didn't have to use the drop tank switch at all, everything worked automaticly, I mean the plane switched from drop tank to main tank automaticly. Is that how it supposed to be? :music_whistling:

Edited by Vino

I have the same experience, i was able to take fuel from external tank, even i have valve closed.

Functionality of the lever which control valve for external fuel tank has not been implemented yet.

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Normandy 2 | The Channel | Sinai | Syria | PG | NTTR | South Atlantic 

F/A-18 | F-86 | F-16C | A-10C | FC-3 | CA | SC |

When ED first released the CW Spitfire they... didn't have the fuel-tank selection working correctly. No fuel was being taken from the external tanks.

I think with the last update they did a Quick-n-Dirty­™ fix, which basically allows fuel from all tanks to be used without selecting which one.

How that technically is working I have no idea. Maybe you automatically use fuel first from the slipper/torpedo tank, and then from internal, maybe not. I don't know.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

IMO fuel system is modeled correctly.

Only "Drop Tank Fuel Cock Control Lever" is not functional.

According to Fuel System Diagram, engine is feeded simultaneously from main and external fuel tanks.

Theoretically, if i switch OFF the Main fuel valve, engine will remain running feeded from external fuel tank.

CUt0t6m.jpg

we have mix of both fuel systems, Wobble pump and Booster pump, it change nothing.

"1" is "Main fuel valve" lever is placed under Dashboard

"2" is "Drop Tank Fuel Cock Control" lever is placed on RH cockpit side

F-15E | F-14A/B

P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB Mk VI |Spitfire | Fw 190D | Fw 190A | Bf 109K |  WWII Assets Pack

Thanks for the diagram @saburo_cz

That explains everything nicely.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Confirmed. I switched off the main fuel cock and turned the drop tank fuel cock on. It drained the drop tank in about 30 minutes sputtered and died. I switched the drop tank fuel cock off and turned the main fuel cock on and she relit and I was away to the races with full onboard fuel tanks and I jettisoned the drop tank. It works exactly like the diagram says and I would venture to say it works properly in that direction.

Draining the drop tank first works and would logically be the preferred method of use I should think.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

Thanks for the testing and clarifications :thumbup:

Does the Spitfire have an overflow return line to the lower main-tank, similar to the P-51D's return line to the left wing-tank?

If not, you should start on the drop tank, and only switch to the main tank when the drop tank is empty. Otherwise, you should start on the main tank, and a short time after takeoff, then switch to the drop tank.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Does the Spitfire have an overflow return line to the lower main-tank, similar to the P-51D's return line to the left wing-tank?

I think it is line from "de-aerator on carburettor" to Upper tank.

F-15E | F-14A/B

So I broke out the DCS Spitfire manual, and the diagram there differs from your, in that the de-aerator on the carburetor connects to a separator valve and a valve junction. From the valve junction, one line goes to the upper tank, and the other to the auxiliary fuel cock, just above the drop tank.

This configuration's function is described: "Air discharged from the separator is directed into the upper tank. When feeding fuel from external tanks, access to the air separator is shut off by a special valve in order to prevent the upper tank from overflowing. This valve is connected to the fuel intake valve of the external tanks".

So, if I understand correctly, the de-aerator also functions as the fuel overflow regulator, and the separator valve/valve junction send the over-flow to the upper tank, if the external fuel cock is closed, otherwise into the external tank.

So starting on the ground with a drop tank, one should start off using the drop tank right from the beginning.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

While we're on the fuel related subjects, anyone checked in this version if the engine can still be started with main fuel valve shut?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

lol I couldn't :music_whistling:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

So I broke out the DCS Spitfire manual, and the diagram there differs from your, in that the de-aerator on the carburetor connects to a separator valve and a valve junction. From the valve junction, one line goes to the upper tank, and the other to the auxiliary fuel cock, just above the drop tank.

This configuration's function is described: "Air discharged from the separator is directed into the upper tank. When feeding fuel from external tanks, access to the air separator is shut off by a special valve in order to prevent the upper tank from overflowing. This valve is connected to the fuel intake valve of the external tanks".

So, if I understand correctly, the de-aerator also functions as the fuel overflow regulator, and the separator valve/valve junction send the over-flow to the upper tank, if the external fuel cock is closed, otherwise into the external tank.

So starting on the ground with a drop tank, one should start off using the drop tank right from the beginning.

If the external tank fuel cock is closed according to your manual then the overflow goes to the top tank just like it does when there is no external tank. Although I can see no reason why anyone would save the fuel in their drop tank and not burn it first, I felt starting would be facilitated by drawing fuel out of the top tanks easier than an external under-slung tank which would require more pumping of fuel.

The valving in your example doesn't tickle my brain as having any difference as to when it is used.

What was the actual procedure regarding startup with an external Fuel tank equipped?

Is it started on the external fuel supply tank or on the mains and then switch to external?

Does the electric fuel pump need to be engaged before starting in this case?

What was the procedure on models with 6 fuel tanks. 2 mains, One behind the seat, 2 bladders in the wings and an underbelly tank?

The wording from that manual quote clearly indicates that if the external tank fuel valve is off, it behaves as it would with no tank as far as the de-aerator is concerned.

Regardless, I have been starting on the mains and then when running switching to the external tank right away when I remember or later on if I forget.

I would have no problem starting on the drop tank but is that truly how it is done?

Both ways seem to actually function and as long as one valve is off and one on (the one with fuel left in it) the one way check valves and auto valving appears as though it takes care of the rest.

What harm is there in starting on the mains and then switching? There is certainly no danger of fuel overflowing as long as one system is off and one on.

With both valves on, I can see an overflow problem.

At this point in time since fuel apparently will flow from the external drop tank even with the external fuel cock off, the idea of starting on the drop tank and running till dry is good advice. Fuel should not flow through a valve in the off position and so realism is lost.

Once the valve is repaired in the recall procedure, the danger of fuel overflow disappears again.

What was the actual procedure regarding startup with an external Fuel tank equipped?

Pilot's Notes from 1946 is perfectly applicable to DCS Spitfire, and has answer

Nj2GYHJ.jpg

F-15E | F-14A/B

Pilot's Notes from 1946 is perfectly applicable to DCS Spitfire, and has answer

Nj2GYHJ.jpg

Thanks saburo_cz. That makes sense and substantiates my own procedure as being proper.

It all seems very logical.