The seesaw in DCS

Alpenwolf

I was just in the game; release version, and found out that there were some servers missing and as such players too. Around 270 players were online. So I went to OB to find out about the update from yesterday. Over 500 players were online.

After the last "bundle" of updates we had over the last months, I was relieved when it was finally moved to the release version of DCS so that we can all be online in one game. That didn't last for long, as you know. Not after an update was released yesterday for OB resulting in splitting the multiplayer community once more.

I'm totally aware of the concept of this modern marketing strategy, having a product released in stages like that. I'm not a fan of it and can only hope that ED goes back to having one DCS product.

If an update causes problems then it does so. Obviousley players don't bother much, otherwise they'd wait for the update to be released for the release version instead of having the OpenAlpha and/or the OpenBeta versions of DCS. They'd probably download the whole Greek alphabet of versions if you'd do that just to enjoy DCS.

The point is; you have a strong community behind you of avid virtual pilots who will always be loyal customers no matter what. Therefore one DCS game will do. Heck, the community is even growing bigger. And if newcomers or maybe some older members complain about the way you work or handle your products, then let 'em. You can't please everyone. Name me one game where players don't complain about anything. Especially one with a high level of fidelity and complexity like this one.

Even though "bugged" updates can be annoying sometimes, but I'm never gonna be unappreciative.

Keep up the good work, and as always... God bless! :thumbup:

Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Absolutely right

I was just in the game; release version, and found out that there were some servers missing and as such players too. Around 270 players were online. So I went to OB to find out about the update from yesterday. Over 500 players were online.

After the last "bundle" of updates we had over the last months, I was relieved when it was finally moved to the release version of DCS so that we can all be online in one game. That didn't last for long, as you know. Not after an update was released yesterday for OB resulting in splitting the multiplayer community once more.

I'm totally aware of the concept of this modern marketing strategy, having a product released in stages like that. I'm not a fan of it and can only hope that ED goes back to having one DCS product.

If an update causes problems then it does so. Obviousley players don't bother much, otherwise they'd wait for the update to be released for the release version instead of having the OpenAlpha and/or the OpenBeta versions of DCS. They'd probably download the whole Greek alphabet of versions if you'd do that just to enjoy DCS.

The point is; you have a strong community behind you of avid virtual pilots who will always be loyal customers no matter what. Therefore one DCS game will do. Heck, the community is even growing bigger. And if newcomers or maybe some older members complain about the way you work or handle your products, then let 'em. You can't please everyone. Name me one game where players don't complain about anything. Especially one with a high level of fidelity and complexity like this one.

Even though "bugged" updates can be annoying sometimes, but I'm never gonna be unappreciative.

Keep up the good work, and as always... God bless!

Alpenwolf

Just no.

I remember when there was one release build, one minute DCS was stable and the next, a bad patch was pushed that broke MP or .lua scripting or SAM radars or ... etc. - just like today, bugs get past internal testers or only show once released to a wider base.

Now people on the release branch, don't need to worry about broken RWR's, etc. on day one.

And if Open Beta bugs make it into the release branch - at least users and server admin's have some for warning of what might be coming.

When users/admin's choose to play on Open Beta because that's where the latest toys and fixes are (along with the new bugs), that's their choice and their feedback helps keep the release branch stable.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

When users/admin's choose to play on Open Beta because that's where the latest toys and fixes are (along with the new bugs), that's their choice and their feedback helps keep the release branch stable.

You're right. But it divides the MP community, which is my point. I'd rather have one game where we fly and test simultaneously. What good is the release version if players are most of the time on OB? Despite the bugs they still rather fly in OB with the new added features. That's my point here in my main post.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Hmmmm, no!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

You're right. But it divides the MP community, which is my point. I'd rather have one game where we fly and test simultaneously. What good is the release version if players are most of the time on OB? Despite the bugs they still rather fly in OB with the new added features. That's my point here in my main post.

I think being divisive is a choice. If the MP Community is flying OB for the latest and greatest then install OB and fly with the community. As a developer, you should have a stable version and a separate version for testing new features/updates. Using OB also helps ED with finding bugs. To me, it's a win win.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

No one forces you to run either version, no one forces server owners to run either version. It's up to the users to make good and reasonable use of the provided tools. Release to play, Beta to test.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."

• 2 months later...
No one forces you to run either version, no one forces server owners to run either version. It's up to the users to make good and reasonable use of the provided tools. Release to play, Beta to test.

Well, I am forced to move my server to OB. Because many multiplayers fly there. Many not all. That means the multiplayer community will always be divided. And since it's a small community anyway, having two versions makes it smaller.

From the comments above, it seems like singleplayers were mostly replying. I'd totally write the same if I had been a singleplayer, although I did fly all the campaigns of all the modules I have. But that's my way of individual training before hitting the servers.

Seems like server admins have it in their hands, after all. Best we all host in release and be done with it, which is what I used to do for a long time, until more and more players started switching over to OB.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

This doesn't matter. As has been stated many times, it's no different than servers requiring specific mods in dozens of other games. If you want to play on a specific server, then meet their requirements or don't, simple as that.

Guess what, having privately owned servers divides the community into dozens of tiny half communities. It has many advantages over 'match making' though. Every time somebody creates a new server, it further dilutes the community into smaller and smaller segments, too.

Just suck it up and deal with it. People will play the version they want, on the servers they want. End of story.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

People will play the version they want, on the servers they want. End of story.

Nope! Certainly not everyone can afford both versions. Hence the discussion above. So, it's not only about what they want.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Alpenwolf, you have a valid point.

The art of running a business is to listen to both sides and come up with something so no one leaves the party. That aint easy and it will not always be the same answer for both to please.

I wish MP had more players and I wished STABLE really was stable, it's just another version of OpenBeta imho. Stable means all functions work, and that never was the case, not that I can remember, back from Flanker days till today, it's constant evolving, fixing old bugs, bringing new ones in, some bugs dont get fixed for a felt eternity, some get fixed you never felt & thought they were there. This is how ED handles it, I am not the biggest fan of that model but I do understand the need that mandates it, if I like it or not.

Still, you are right. MP should be ONE pool of players.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Good thing you don't need both, then, huh?

It's not about me. It's about the players who fly on my server. Got a good number of those who can only afford the release version. Having one version would bring all players together.

You seem to either misunderstand the point or just intrigued to argue.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Everyone should use release except for testing.

Stop blaming community split on ED, and stop using OB to play, problem solved!

ED can't help if users misuse the tool.

"You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to your level of preparation."