Sound - High pitch whine

RogueRunner

Aye.

I can link to a testimony from another who says the complete oposite.

Please do here's mine.

http://www.mustangsmustangs.us/thehangar/index.php?topic=958.0

I taped up the barrels and just went for a quick flight and guess what? ..............No whistle!!

Not all Mustangs have the same whistle as some do it at high speed or in a dive, but this one whistles at high angle of attack which is why I suspected the inner gun barrels. The most noticable was at around 4g pulls and on landing if you put all three on the ground at the same time. Just did both, and it was quiet. Before you could definitely hear it from the cockpit and that means it must really be loud from outside!

Guys I think the barrels are the source. Yesterday I completely taped them and sure enough no whistle. So there we have it. I still can't figure out why Frenesi doesn't whistle in spite of the same gun setup? Jim

Nate

I know Ferocious Frankies' cheif engineer and he's confirmed that it is gun port whistle at +G's. It's not the supercharger and not the ram air..... It's the Gunports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd8Q3dxQ5KY

That video is pretty solid proof that the whistle is strongly AoA-dependant. At least above a certain speed. BTW, great pilot.

But also in the previous video of Miss America there's a whistle (a weaker one, that's true) in horizontal flight, and MTFDark Eagle posted a picture that suggest it doesn't have any gunports.

Now I really don't get it.

Please do here's mine.

Here you go ;)

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=14842

Most importantly, the sound you are hearing is augmented by the air passing through the radiators beneath the airplane coupled with the above. There are 2 doors under the scoop. One controls the oil temperature and the other the coolant temperature.Usually, during a demonstration where you might be viewing a low flying Mustang , the oil and coolant shutters are selected automatic, but if the temps are high due to extended power settings at Meto or above, the pilot might have both shutter doors open manually. The actual position of these two shutter doors at any given time will change the sound you are hearing and most certainly are responsible in large part for the famous Mustang "whistle".

Our 51 had custom plugs in the gun ports. Whistled just fine icon_smile.gif)

I've seen that before (I think we must've had this dance before :) ) - so your 1 source v my 2 and that isn't including Nick Grey at TFC.

Anyway I am of the opinion that there are 2 sounds the Whistle and the Screaming sound. One of the posts in your thread tried to make that distinction too.

Can you find me a really loud level flight screamer that has no guns? That would go a long way in finding the mian source for that scream.

Nate

You all know what it is... It's the pilot inside screamin like a girl cuz what he's flying is sooo DAMN COOL! :thumbup:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

The clearest example of there being two different whistles is here:

There is the very loud howl which appears to be related to angle of attack (the one people suspect is the gun ports whistling,) the second is the relatively quiet and higher pitched whine.

The clearest example of there being two different whistles is here:

There is the very loud howl which appears to be related to angle of attack (the one people suspect is the gun ports whistling,) the second is the relatively quiet and higher pitched whine.

Yep spot on - the two sounds are quite distinctly heard there.

BTW - how do you link directly to a time in the vid like that?

Nate

I suspect the high RPM of the propellor, modulated by the doppler effect.

Please compare it to the sound of Hind's rotor blades. .

Have on mind that Pony's propellor has a lot more RPM than Hind's rotor blades, so it is logical, that Pony has a higher whistle...

Thats all IMHO :music_whistling::smartass:

Whatever the correct answer is, I find it very entertaining everytime the subject comes up.:D

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I suspect the high RPM of the propellor, modulated by the doppler effect.

Have on mind that Pony's propellor has a lot more RPM than Hind's rotor blades, so it is logical, that Pony has a higher whistle...

Thats all IMHO :music_whistling::smartass:

Hmm I find this logic hard to understand - surely all prop aircraft would exhibit this behaviour then.

Nate

Hmm I find this logic hard to understand - surely all prop aircraft would exhibit this behaviour then.

Nate

Every propellor is different, different shapes, angles, rpm...

The pony sound reminds me Stuka siren also...

So the concluson is that everyone is right and that the scream is from the gunports and the thingies......

Vodka and coke please Suchacz.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

It's the canopy, its the planes paint, its the radio antenna, its the left wing, maybe the right wing. What about the seat cushion...:music_whistling:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, they can certainly make something out of you"

-Muhammad Ali

WIN 7 64-bit SP1 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 | 8.0 GB RAM | NVidia GeForce GTX 550Ti | CH Pro Throttle | CH Fighterstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR5

Yep spot on - the two sounds are quite distinctly heard there.

BTW - how do you link directly to a time in the vid like that?

Nate

Right click on the video and select Copy video URL at current time.

Found two other nice videos of whistling P-51's:

On the comments for the first video someone claim it's the ammo ejector ports whistling, which seems plausible. Do they fill those in on the planes without guns, or are they left open?

Nice videos.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

On the comments for the first video someone claim it's the ammo ejector ports whistling, which seems plausible. Do they fill those in on the planes without guns, or are they left open?

Oh lovely, they're both Ferocious Frankie videos.....LIKE!:megalol: Oh and Miss Velma too

[sIGPIC]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic90244_1.gif[/sIGPIC]Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on OCZ SSD, (AM3)AMD955BE x4 3.2GHz - GPU AMD6950 x2Gb - 16Gb Ripjaw G-Skill DDR3 PC12800 1600MHz

https://www.facebook.com/#!/FerociousFrankie

Now that is how a mustang should sound! :thumbup:

I haven't read the whole thread but it sounds like a supercharger to me.

Maybe you should read the whole thread then. :)

If it was the supercharger (which it isn't), you'd hear it more than just when there is high AOA on the airframe.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

Thinking about my years as a commissioned mechanic in GM dealerships, I was usually troubleshooter in Wiring harness shorts and "noises" in newly delivered automobiles.

All you need for air "whistles" is a gap between two surfaces big enough for air to get into and cause turbulence within that gap. It can even be a gap that is part of the body design. So it could be anything .

Win 10 64 bit

Intel I-7 7700K

32GB Ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gig