Trying to tweak out right performance out of rift

Jyge

I updated my rig some time ago. I have i7 8700K, 16 GB Ram and 1080 ti. Basically with 2D I get some 120+ fps if I drop out MSAA and SSAA? I noticed that SSAA is a greater hog than MSAA. Here I do not know actually what they are and what they do.

I noticed that with MSAA off I get sort of flickering edges on building and stuff. I also googled and got the impression that they are exclusive . does not really make sense to use them simultaneously?

So with I have following - Caucasus - Free Flight in Harrier (just start nothing extensive):

MSAA & SSAA off ~120 fps

SSAA 1.5 x ~ 90 fps

SSAA 2.0 x ~ 60 fps

MSAA 2 x ~110-120 fps

MSAA 4 x ~ 90 fps

MSAA 2x and SSAA 1.5 ~ 60-70 fps

So SSAA seems to be the hog here.

Never mind anything here is playable for me. Then I go to rift. Whatever I do

I get some 45 fps always. If I set the pixel density to 2.0 I get about 30 fps once I use MSAA 4x or MSAA and SSAA simultaneously.

Now everything here is entirely playable for me. Frankly, I hardly notice any difference in any setting above MSAA 2x (in quality, I mean - probably need to take a closer look somewhere). However, there is another issue I now tried Oculus Tray Tool and the Visual HUD.

Here I notice that my performance headroom is in about -80% with PD 1.6 and MSAA 2x. In fact I haven't found any settings whatsoever where I would even get anything positive for performance headroom, nor do I see any significance with the whole figure.

So can someone clarify why I am roofed at 45 fps - is it the ASW? (Whatever it is? Antisubmarine Warfare?) or what? Are these normal figures with my hardware?

I was also thinking that I have the huge Samsung 49" screen connected with 3960x1080 resolution, does not that eat up some performance of the GPU?

Yes depending on settings, map and mission that's pretty much all I get with similar spec PC.

ASW :lol: nah More info here.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

You can disable ASW in game by pressing CTRL+Numpad 1 to see more actual framerates.

Do not use SSAA in VR.

Set MSAA to 2X.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well from what I have gathered disabling ASW is not a worth the effort.

Why should I disable SSAA? I think it looks smoother with SSAA on?

I made my first low level flying with Mi-8 and lightpoles and stuff smoother with SSAA - I am still going around 40 fps. For me it is still smooth going...

Well from what I have gathered disabling ASW is not a worth the effort.

Why should I disable SSAA? I think it looks smoother with SSAA on?

I was just basing my suggestion on your comment below...Unless something was changed, SSAA was more for monitor use.

I use 2x MSAA and no SSAA.

I updated my rig some time ago. I have i7 8700K, 16 GB Ram and 1080 ti. Basically with 2D I get some 120+ fps if I drop out MSAA and SSAA? I noticed that SSAA is a greater hog than MSAA. Here I do not know actually what they are and what they do.

I noticed that with MSAA off I get sort of flickering edges on building and stuff. I also googled and got the impression that they are exclusive . does not really make sense to use them simultaneously?

So with I have following - Caucasus - Free Flight in Harrier (just start nothing extensive):

MSAA & SSAA off ~120 fps

SSAA 1.5 x ~ 90 fps

SSAA 2.0 x ~ 60 fps

MSAA 2 x ~110-120 fps

MSAA 4 x ~ 90 fps

MSAA 2x and SSAA 1.5 ~ 60-70 fps

So SSAA seems to be the hog here.

Also did you try it without ASW? I always keep it disabled for my combat flight sims, I seem to get smooth results with no prop artifacts or graphic anomalies.

Different folks seem to get different results with this. I would encourage all Rift users , if they have not yet , to try it both ways and see which they like better.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

SSAA doesn't do anything in VR.

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

SSAA doesn't do anything in VR.

I disagree, it hits the framerate, at least ;)

However, in my case it really smoothens the graphics on low level flight. I did not check MSAA x 4 (and no SSAA), but with MSAA x 2 only, telephone poles and stuff like that have quite jagged lightining effects, SSAA smoothens it out, maybe MSAA x 4 would accomplish the same...I am still testing on actual gaming, once I have figured out the coarse parameters.

In some other discussion it said that SSAA is nothing else than pixel density for screens, go and figure.

I still can not say if it makes any difference to set the pixel density in Oculus Tray vs. setting it directly in the game...

I disagree, it hits the framerate, at least ;)

However, in my case it really smoothens the graphics on low level flight. I did not check MSAA x 4 (and no SSAA), but with MSAA x 2 only, telephone poles and stuff like that have quite jagged lightining effects, SSAA smoothens it out, maybe MSAA x 4 would accomplish the same...I am still testing on actual gaming, once I have figured out the coarse parameters.

In some other discussion it said that SSAA is nothing else than pixel density for screens, go and figure.

I still can not say if it makes any difference to set the pixel density in Oculus Tray vs. setting it directly in the game...

That's really strange. I did some careful tests using the Oculus Tray tool HUD to monitor performance and switching SSAA of and on had absolutely no effect on display or performance.

I seem to remember a few months one of the devs saying that SSAA is actually disabled in VR.

Edited by Lensman
new info

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Okay this is what works for me mostly low level stuff trying to learn to fly helicopters. :)

DCS_Settings.JPG

PD @ 1.1

5930 i7 @ 4.7Ghz

1080Ti @ 1.97Ghz

64GB DDR4 @ 2.4Ghz

SSD

Rift mostly 45FPS with ASW on NTTR, Caucasus other maps not so good.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Trying to tweak out right performance out of rift

I’m getting 30 fps. Uggggg

My setup:

i7 8700k (not overclocked)

1080ti gpu

32 g ram

Pd: 1.4

Samsung Odessey plus vr

I get 120 FPS on my 55” 4K monitor.

Here’s my settings:

28f4ed84100a410646869c99114105b3.jpg

Can someone assist ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My setup:

1080ti gpu

32 g ram

Samsung Odessey plus vr

Here’s my settings:

Can someone assist ?

* Visible range medium or low

* MSAA turn off

* Anisoptric filtering turn off

* preload radius slider all way to left

TRY and report back! :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

MXAA off alone will make quite a difference . You prolly don't need it with your pd setting .

It is also possible to inadvertently "lock" 30fps if you have headset set for 60hz and ASW forced on .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

MXAA off alone will make quite a difference .

It is also possible to inadvertently "lock" 30fps if you have headset set for 60hz and ASW forced on .

Ok...couple questions. How do I unlock or check to make sure headset isn’t set for 60hz and ASW is forced on ?

Sorry new to PC and DCS.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Refresh rate should be in WMR setup screen . ASW setting can be found in the file referenced here .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3619100&postcount=113

I should point out that i have no direct knowledge of the Odessey . Rather , i did a LOT of research before settling on my soon-do-be delivered Rift . You may find posts located in the WMR thread at the top of this forum helpful , and the Odessey+ posts as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Refresh rate should be in WMR setup screen . ASW setting can be found in the file referenced here .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3619100&postcount=113

I should point out that i have no direct knowledge of the Odessey . Rather , i did a LOT of research before settling on my soon-do-be delivered Rift . You may find posts located in the WMR thread at the top of this forum helpful , and the Odessey+ posts as well .

Thanks. What should the HZ be set too ?

Dependent on system , and subjective . I expect an owner's advice to be more helpful here .

My setup:

1080ti gpu

32 g ram

Samsung Odessey plus vr

Here’s my settings:

Can someone assist ?

I`m using the shader mod. I have a i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, 24 gigs of ram, RTX 2080 OC`ed and rift. I have a PD of 1.4 with the same as above but with high-water, and 16x anistropic filtering. I also have a lot of the nvidia panel maxed as well. On the Nevada map I have a least 45fps, and ~75fps probably a few hundred feet altitude, above that it settles at the 90fps. The Normandy map is the worst for performance. At airports it`s cpu bound due to poor optimization, hovering around 40fps. The game engine needs a big revamp to use multicore, the gpu is choked to about 35% load,

Edited by Zoomer

I`m using the shader mod. I have a i7 4790k @ 4.6ghz, 24 gigs of ram, RTX 2080 OC`ed and rift. I have a PD of 1.4 with the same as above but with high-water, and 16x anistropic filtering. I also have a lot of the nvidia panel maxed as well. On the Nevada map I have a least 45fps, and ~75fps probably a few hundred feet altitude, above that it settles at the 90fps. The Normandy map is the worst for performance. At airports it`s cpu bound due to poor optimization, hovering around 40fps. The game engine needs a big revamp to use multicore, the gpu is choked to about 35% load,

Interesting..hows the stock map that comes with DCS.

I played around with alot of the suggestions here and I’m still getting 30 fps

Interesting..hows the stock map that comes with DCS.

I played around with alot of the suggestions here and I’m still getting 30 fps

i said anistropic filter OFF :doh:

lever clutter to left

your pc can't handle the pixel amount in odyssey + not to the max...

Play nevada map!

Last tip set pd between 1.0 and 1.3 .... 1.0 gives more performance but less clarity.

hmm... succes.. junior and welcome to the club! :D

Edited by boedha68

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

i said anistropic filter OFF :doh:

lever clutter to left

your pc can't handle the pixel amount in odyssey + not to the max...

Play nevada map!

Last tip set pd between 1.0 and 1.3 .... 1.0 gives more performance but less clarity.

hmm... succes.. junior and welcome to the club! :D

Ok. I’ll give Nevada map a try and turn off anistropic filter.

Thanks and will report back.

For me it is about finding a nice balance between the CPU and GPU load while retaining a good image and high framerates. I have tried so many ways optimizing for VR and finally found a great balance!

Schmidtfire's mini-guide:

Select the VR preset

It will be a great starting point.

Then go:

Textures: Medium

Terrain Textures: High

Civ. Traffic Low

Water: High

Visib. Range: Medium

Heat Blur: Off

Shadows: High

Res. of cockpit displays: 1024

MSAA: OFF

Depth of field: OFF

Lens Effects: None

Motion Blur: OFF

SSAA: OFF

Clutter/Grass: 750

Trees Visibility: 50%

Preload Radius: 100000

Chimney Smoke Density: 0

Gamma: 1.6

Anisotropic Filtering: 8x

Terrain Object Shadows: Off

Cockpit Global Illumination: Off

Rain droplets: ON

Full Screen: ON

VR TAB:

PD: 1.6

SET IPD adjustments as desired. I have 61 or 62 (can't remember now)

Do mind that this is on an older i7 @ 4Ghz and 1080TI. But should be a solid start. Rule of thumb: Keep the MSAA Off and up the PD instead.

So for it has been a buttersmooth experience in multiplayer.

Good luck and happy tweaking :)

Edited by Schmidtfire

My setup:

1080ti gpu

32 g ram

Samsung Odessey plus vr

Here’s my settings:

Can someone assist ?

The shadows are killing you. Turn them all off and try it. Shadows are the most expensive thing. Even flat.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/