This is more of a community request....

Capn kamikaze

With all the changes to modules are the people who do instructional videos going to replace them with more up to date versions, or at least re-edit the relevant sections that are now out of date.

The vids are great, but having tutorials on youtube that are in some cases more than a year out of date causes a lot of confusion.

It's not so much that the old videos are wrong, just incomplete.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

You have a point there, but given how many people do tutorials for DCS (at that point: thanks to all of you), it's rather unlikely everyone is going to revise their videos. It is good to have a reminder for it, though, as hopefully some will do so once everything is more or less in place (as in: out of early access phase).

In all other cases, take the warning that old instructional films most often had in the beginning: always refer to your latest manual, as some information may have changed since the making of this film!

If only manuals were kept up-to-date...

I was checking and the Razban pocket guide seems outdated and the only updated manual is the chucks guide and only the one located in the mudspike web site.

https://www.mudspike.com/chucks-guides-dcs-av-8b-harrier-ii/

Sent from my Tornado IDS while on autopilot using Tapatalk Pro.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

As a new guy trying to learn DCS and the harrier I gotta second the notion. Its pretty frustrating watching videos, doing what they do, and then not having the same result. I've run into this with both cold start and Mavs now. And I managed to setup my own missions for landing, refueling bombing etc due to the lack of training missions. (I then found some of those in the "missions" tab).

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi Baltic Dragon,

Yes I saw your post, but as I understand it your missions are not available yet? As it is I'm kludging my way through learning the Harrier/DCS over the last month or so, and I've made good progress. The main frustration is not knowing if the existing vids and documentation is right or wrong, as well as trying to make my own very simple missions on how to learn things. I've done the "Training" missions but in some cases they are far more complex than I like (the tanking mission, which is good, but too long) And in the case of the short one, for some reason I can't find the tanker, I think I spawn under it, or ahead of it etc. So I just made my own, where I start 1 mi behind the tanker with 50% fuel on the right frequency to talk to it etc, since all I want to do is practice tanking, not worry about finding it using tacan or being off frequency as I find its much easier to break down complex tasks into a set of much simpler tasks first.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Hi Baltic Dragon,

Yes I saw your post, but as I understand it your missions are not available yet? As it is I'm kludging my way through learning the Harrier/DCS over the last month or so, and I've made good progress. The main frustration is not knowing if the existing vids and documentation is right or wrong, as well as trying to make my own very simple missions on how to learn things. I've done the "Training" missions but in some cases they are far more complex than I like (the tanking mission, which is good, but too long) And in the case of the short one, for some reason I can't find the tanker, I think I spawn under it, or ahead of it etc. So I just made my own, where I start 1 mi behind the tanker with 50% fuel on the right frequency to talk to it etc, since all I want to do is practice tanking, not worry about finding it using tacan or being off frequency as I find its much easier to break down complex tasks into a set of much simpler tasks first.

Well as you can imagine, as vids got outdated, interactive training would become so even more, hence my decision to wait with building it until we get a pretty decent state of the module. Having said that, you should get a pretty accurate set of missions with some remarks given by real world AV-8B pilots and some inside information here and there, plus it will be free with the module. The first ones out of the production line will be cold start, conventional take off, vertical take off and landing, stores management, guns and rockets plus mavericks and sidearms.

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

All stuff I now know how to do :) Tpod is the next thing I gotta figure out. Well, and to get better at refueling.

Maybe read the manual of the actual startup process could help?

I guess is not much of an effort and maybe you can do the video yourself and update the rest?

If you were replying to me, I did do that. The issue turned out to be how the controls were interfacing, ive got a 4 page thread on just that here on the first page. If i were to update chucks guide or the other refs id add in a caveat about what can go wrong and how to fix it. Reading the real manual would be worthless since you can easily check that the throttle is in the cutoff position, not so with the sim.