Anyone running DCS on M.2 SSD?

Hi

Actually the title is the question itself.Instead of messing with the OS which is on SSD, i'm planning to get 120-256 gigs M.2 SSD drive just for DCS.As my rig has a slot ready for it , would be real easy.I just have to migrate DCS.But I'm a noob when it comes to Windows ( using Mac normally).

I read lot of threads what i've learned is always useful to have OS and DCS separately.(or the other way around? :cry:) M.2 SSDs look quite fast and budget friendly.

What do you suggest?

There is no difference in Windows between SSD Types. So yes, you can use an M.2 Drive without problems. Just keep in mind, that if you decide to use an NVME drive, it'll take 4 PCIe lanes from your CPU.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

What motherboard do you have? IIRC an M.2 drive will operate fine but slower if used as a normal SSD Using it with NVME is utilising the PCI(E) bus

Using 2x M.2 will need to disable 2x SATA

This is something I found on the net

2 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280(PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) and type 2242/2260/2280/22110(support PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode) storage devices support *

* When the M.2_1 Socket 3 is operating in SATA mode, SATA port 1 will be disabled.

* When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is operating in PCIEX4 mode, SATA port 5. 6 will be disabled.

I would study the mobo manual and see what it says about it

:)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

4 pcie lanes? Can you elaborate? You mean, i’m gonna need more cpu power?

Each CPU has a set amount of PCIe lanes in his "pool". From this pool are 16 Lanes for your Graphics Card and another 4 would go to the NVMe Drive. My 6700k for example has 20 Lanes and I have used them all. If I'd add another device that uses PCIe lanes then I have to force the NVMe drive down to two lanes so I have 2 lanes back for the new device.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

What motherboard do you have? IIRC an M.2 drive will operate fine but slower if used as a normal SSD Using it with NVME is utilising the PCI(E) bus

Using 2x M.2 will need to disable 2x SATA

This is something I found on the net

I would study the mobo manual and see what it says about it

:)

Well i have Asus GR8 II playstation look-a-like rig.i5 7th gen (7400 i guess) no idea what the motherboard is but i have one 128 ssd (OS) one 7200rpm 1 tb hard drive.I have one slot ready on the board for M.2 SSD.That's for sure.I don't want to migrate whole ssd to a bigger one i will just use for DCS.That's the only game which stutters.I'm hoping it will be a cure for it.I will just get one 120-240gb. this disabling 2xsata thing is mambo jambo for me, really sorry about that.

Shortest question is: will it be plug&play?

Short Video which showing the M.2 SSD upgrade:

Each CPU has a set amount of PCIe lanes in his "pool". From this pool are 16 Lanes for your Graphics Card and another 4 would go to the NVMe Drive. My 6700k for example has 20 Lanes and I have used them all. If I'd add another device that uses PCIe lanes then I have to force the NVMe drive down to two lanes so I have 2 lanes back for the new device.

Oh man thanks for detailed explanation.But i'm gonna need to attend a technical school in order to connect everything you said to my situation.Thanks a lot.Honestly.

I suspect it will be plug and play but have drivers to get the best from it. But I will be keen to hear how your stuttering goes. This is the reason for my upgrade that I am busy sourcing parts for, based on an 8600k. Sick of stutters in 2.1 Normandy, NTTR is not too much a problem. Keep us posted please :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I suspect it will be plug and play but have drivers to get the best from it. But I will be keen to hear how your stuttering goes. This is the reason for my upgrade that I am busy sourcing parts for, based on an 8600k. Sick of stutters in 2.1 Normandy, NTTR is not too much a problem. Keep us posted please :)

Drivers are not a problem.I share your feelings about stutters and i can't believe thinking of uprading just because of this recently added trouble.Getting old i guess.:smartass:I'll get it next week and after the migration i'll keep you posted Cibit.Thanks guys.

I went through that exercise about two months ago. i.e bought a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD drive in the hope that it could improve DCS 2.1 performance, especially stutters and game freeze issues.

I had initially OS on a normal 6gb/s SATA SSD and DCS on an another 6gb/s SATA SSD drive.

Initially kept my OS on the old SSD and just DCS on the M.2 drive. Then installed OS on the M.2 drive and tried both having DCS also on the M.2 drive or DCS on a 6gb/s SATA SSD.

Nothing helped against the stutters or game freeze issues.

I did not see any noticeable in game performance increase between having DCS on 6gb/s SATA SSD vs. having it on M.2 SSD drive.

I have a feeling that having Windows and DCS on M.2 drive does give you a very slight improvement, especially on booting windows and starting DCS.

In my view M.2 drive is nice for benchmarking your system, but gives a very little, if any, noticeable in game performance increase.

Note, since the release of DCS 2.1 Normandy map, I'm suffering from very bad stutter and game freeze problems in DCS 2 alpha version, ...so your mileage may vary.

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | i7-8700K | 32GB DDR4 3600 | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE | EKWB custom loop water cooling | Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB SSD + 2 x Crucial 250MX SSD + 4TB HD | Asus PG348Q 3440x1440 | TrackIR5 | Oculus Rift CV1 | MSFFB2 w extension + Saitek X52 Throttle + MFG Crosswind | Windows 10-64

I went through that exercise about two months ago. i.e bought a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD drive in the hope that it could improve DCS 2.1 performance, especially stutters and game freeze issues.

I had initially OS on a normal 6gb/s SATA SSD and DCS on an another 6gb/s SATA SSD drive.

Initially kept my OS on the old SSD and just DCS on the M.2 drive. Then installed OS on the M.2 drive and tried both having DCS also on the M.2 drive or DCS on a 6gb/s SATA SSD.

Nothing helped against the stutters or game freeze issues.

I did not see any noticeable in game performance increase between having DCS on 6gb/s SATA SSD vs. having it on M.2 SSD drive.

I have a feeling that having Windows and DCS on M.2 drive does give you a very slight improvement, especially on booting windows and starting DCS.

In my view M.2 drive is nice for benchmarking your system, but gives a very little, if any, noticeable in game performance increase.

Note, since the release of DCS 2.1 Normandy map, I'm suffering from very bad stutter and game freeze problems in DCS 2 alpha version, ...so your mileage may vary.

That's bad news.:( And you have quite a powerful system.. I think I will wait then until 2.5 comes out. ( it will inevitably be early release probably problematic performance but hey.. :) )Thanks for the report RedShoes.

I have an M.2 it makes loading DCS faster but it aint going to fix anything

else with it

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

I did...I havent felt any difference, put it back on 850Pro and put my OS on NVMe instead.

It may load 1/3 second faster hehe, but that is minimal if at all.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I'm running both, Windows and DCS on a M2 SSD (although on different partitions) and it removed the micro stutters I had before completely. I couldn't be happier with it.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I may get a 2nd NVMe...but therefor will remove the last 2 HDD's from my system. Their noise is way too loud for my ears. zzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz hate it !

QuiGon, have you had DCS on a good Sata-SSD before that move to NVMe ? ..or was it still on HDD ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

HDD before

THAT is a mayor jump forward.

I have done numerous SSD upgrades across a wide scope of machines and it helped each one !

Those are sent from heaven, directly :megalol:

yes two comuters both installed with each one with two each Samsung EVO 1 TB RAID 0

they are damn faster than prior to put them on Raid 0

On these two comupters I7 7700k @5.3 and 5.2 from Silicon Lottery

they have both Titan x(Pascal) 2016 and asking myself to change on Msi gtx 1080 ti z or not?

mainboard are first computer Asus Formula IX and the othe Extreme with water block

both are watercooled with rigide tube custom watercooling ,EK and Bitspower

yes two comuters both installed with each one with two each Samsung EVO 1 TB RAID 0

they are damn faster than prior to put them on Raid 0

On these two comupters I7 7700k @5.3 and 5.2 from Silicon Lottery

they have both Titan x(Pascal) 2016 and asking myself to change on Msi gtx 1080 ti z or not?

mainboard are first computer Asus Formula IX and the othe Extreme with water block

both are watercooled with rigide tube custom watercooling ,EK and Bitspower

pic of computers

Very nice toys you have there gholi:thumbup:

Do you setup these custom rigs up for sale? Or is it just an expensive hobby of yours:D

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

All wrong !

Your 16x lanes are either all Slot1 bound or 8x + 8x for SLot-1 and Slot-2 of your PCIe 16x slots physical size.

The "other" 4 lanes are routed to your PCH and not avaiable for you to choose what you do with it, total misunderstanding of the clockwork at a fundamental part of the gears.

ALL your drives and more route through those 4 lanes, NVMe as well as Sata, yor other PCIe slots, USB3, Tbolt, Gbit, WLAN, LAN, etc etc etc..

It was nice if you were right

All wrong !

Your 16x lanes are either all Slot1 bound or 8x + 8x for SLot-1 and Slot-2 of your PCIe 16x slots physical size.

The "other" 4 lanes are routed to your PCH and not avaiable for you to choose what you do with it, total misunderstanding of the clockwork at a fundamental part of the gears.

ALL your drives and more route through those 4 lanes, NVMe as well as Sata, yor other PCIe slots, USB3, Tbolt, Gbit, WLAN, LAN, etc etc etc..

It was nice if you were right

Are you by any chance using google translate ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Are you by any chance using google translate ?

:music_whistling: naaah, good old germn english "denglish mix", if your ears don't bleed it wasn't properly denglished :megalol: