VAICOM PRO plugin for VoiceAttack

Hollywood_315

I've just started using Vaicom again but I'm having CTD issues. The voiceattack app just crashes when I execute a command. Not all the time but enough to ruin my mission!
Any ideas?
Domestos

Is it CTD or does VA just close leaving you in DCS with no voice commands?

If the second one then try using the Vaicom app to start VA - if VA then closes during flight this will automatically restart it

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

22 hours ago, hornblower793 said:

Is it CTD or does VA just close leaving you in DCS with no voice commands?

If the second one then try using the Vaicom app to start VA - if VA then closes during flight this will automatically restart it

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Thanks... I just spotted that you can now do that and it's much better!

Just got Vaicom Pro and purchased the bundle, got it all working, the Kneeboard loads up fine but when calling any tab the Kneeboard closes.
I am using the correct words link Anvil, Show Notes and Sarge, just get a beep and Kneeboard closes.
Try rolling back to VAICOM version 2.5.24

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Seems I found out the what was keeping kneeboard from working, After pushing the PTT button i was leaving it on and giving multiple commands.

If i turn it off after every command and back on for the next command it works fine.

So push to turn on give command re-push  turn off.

Is there a way to have it work like Push and hold button give command and release button to close.

So it works like " push & hold  to talk  then release to close             not push for on...... talk,...... and push to close.

Edited by Rubber Biscuit

Seems I found out the what was keeping kneeboard from working, After pushing the PTT button i was leaving it on and giving multiple commands.
If i turn it off after every command and back on for the next command it works fine.
So push to turn on give command re-push  turn off.

Is there a way to have it work like Push and hold button give command and release button to close.

So it works like " push & hold  to talk  then release to close             not push for on...... talk,...... and push to close.
Yes, you configure both the TXx press and release. And in the release make sure "only invoked..." is checked.
Cheers!

On 7/26/2021 at 3:40 AM, MAXsenna said:

But even so, the training you really want to do anyway, is the core training of the Microsoft Speech Recognition, because MS Speech Recognition, is what is actually doing the recognition, neither VAICOM nor VoiceAttack.

BUT I really trained MSSR. The recommended number you'll find anywhere is three. But I did both "paths" 10 times, meaning I did it 20 times. Yes, boring as hell. But worth it for me as a non native English speaker. I also did half of it in a monotone voice like MSSR instructs you too, and the other half in a natural way.

Thanks for your reply!  IIRC, the MSSR only has two sets of reading material for the training?  Is there more?  I would've thought there would be more to greatly train the speech program.

- Ice

Thanks for your reply!  IIRC, the MSSR only has two sets of reading material for the training?  Is there more?  I would've thought there would be more to greatly train the speech program.
Well, yes there are only, sort of, two different documents one reads through. But you can do it as many times as you like.

7 hours ago, -Ice said:

Is that going to help?  Or is it placebo?  It's the same words, what difference does it make reading 2x or 10x?

I imagine there is some amount of diminishing returns, but multiple reads of the same material does improve as the system gets more used to your accent sounds and can predict similar sounding words more easily.  But using speech recognition period trains the system little by little.  you could dictate known commands to text the MSR and it will train it to better understand your VAICOM commands.

• Like 1

Is that going to help?  Or is it placebo?  It's the same words, what difference does it make reading 2x or 10x?
It's definitely not placebo, as it was impossible for me have it understand "ground" or "airsupply" etc. before, without adding it to the dictionary. (Those two words wouldn't be understood even after that). Now I have only three entries in the dictionary vs. 2000+ before.
I probably need to add some more airfields, when I find some troublesome. But it's about two months since I did everything from scratch with a fresh setup.
Like @Dograw78 says. The recognition will get better and better the more you use it too, especially if you start dictating word documents for it, especially with VAICOM word and phrases. My guess is that this is what the VAICOM training tries to do, but for me that is too much hit and miss, but I know others have had success with it.
Cheers!

Hi.

I have a weird thing that's happening whereby if I press my PTT button once, it works fine and I can use commands through VAICOM as per normal. The second time I press it, it goes straight from listening resumed to listening suspended. If I press it a third time, works fine. Fourth time drops through to listening suspended and so on and so on. Every second press of the PTT, it drops through.

I must have something set wrong but I've no idea what. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi.
I have a weird thing that's happening whereby if I press my PTT button once, it works fine and I can use commands through VAICOM as per normal. The second time I press it, it goes straight from listening resumed to listening suspended. If I press it a third time, works fine. Fourth time drops through to listening suspended and so on and so on. Every second press of the PTT, it drops through.

I must have something set wrong but I've no idea what. Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!
Edit the profile.
Edit the TX release. Click on the joystick and make sure "only invoked when released" or something check box is checked.
Also make sure that you don't have configured a PTT in VoiceAttack that will conflict with the TX.

Random fyi based on some troubleshooting I went through recently.. if you have the NS430, make sure that module is disabled.

I've been having trouble with recognition for a while. Almost like it'd recognize every other command. Worked great every time, 60% of the time. Did a lot of voice trainings but that didn't help. Also the comms menu starting popping up... but ONLY for the Ka-50, and redoing the export.lua didn't fix it like it has before when that's happened generally. Also a few other miscellaneous things I had chalked up to bugs or config problems I couldn't figure out.

Was re-reading troubleshooting section, and noticed "The Garmin NS340 module must be disabled in DCS module manager."

I think I had noticed that before but disregarded it because I don't have the NS430 enabled for any planes... but I did still have the module enabled.

Disabled it, and now not having any problems. Working great every time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MAXsenna said:

Edit the profile.
Edit the TX release. Click on the joystick and make sure "only invoked when released" or something check box is checked.
Also make sure that you don't have configured a PTT in VoiceAttack that will conflict with the TX.

Thanks for your responce Maxsenna. I've just gone through and checked and all that is set as you describe.

It's weird because on the VoiceAttack output window on the first button press it lists:

Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 press'
Listening Resumed
Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'
Listening Suspended

Which is as you would expect. The second press lists precisely this:

Listening Resumed

--------------------------------------

DCS mission | Georgia

Player TLicense entered module F-16C Viper, unit callsign Enfield 11

Nearest ATC:Kutaisi.

Listening suspended

Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

I'm guessing something has become corrupt somewhere?

Edited by TLicense

1 hour ago, TLicense said:

Thanks for your responce Maxsenna. I've just gone through and checked and all that is set as you describe.

It's weird because on the VoiceAttack output window on the first button press it lists:

Listening Resumed
Joystick : 'Transmit TX2 release'
Listening Suspended

Which is as you would expect. The second press lists precisely this:

Listening Resumed

DCS mission | Georgia

Player TLicense entered module F-16C Viper, unit callsign Enfield 11

Nearest ATC:Kutaisi.

Listening suspended

Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

I'm guessing something has become corrupt somewhere?

No that is not what you would expect. The "release" on the first press should be for TX1, not TX2. This implies that somehow you have the button assignment for TX1 release not configured properly, and possibly have a problem with TX2 as well. Furthermore the second press shows "listening resumed" just as it should but with no "listening suspended" afterwards, which is different from what you described in your original post.

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your VA window trying these keypresses when not in a mission since behavior can be module dependent. Say something in each case while the button is held so that we can get verification that VA is listening (or not). Also, since VA can be configured to have the more recent messages at either the top or the bottom, please indicate which of those options you have selected when you post your screenshot. Also, what is the setting of the rotary switch on the PTT tab of the VAICOM widget? This can matter since PTT behavior is somewhat module dependent.

If all else fails you may need to load a clean VAICOM profile and remap the TX keys per instructions in the VAICOM manual.

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

1 hour ago, sthompson said:

No that is not what you would expect. The "release" on the first press should be for TX1, not TX2. This implies that somehow you have the button assignment for TX1 release not configured properly, and possibly have a problem with TX2 as well. Furthermore the second press shows "listening resumed" just as it should but with no "listening suspended" afterwards, which is different from what you described in your original post.

It would be helpful if you could post a screenshot of your VA window trying these keypresses when not in a mission since behavior can be module dependent. Say something in each case while the button is held so that we can get verification that VA is listening (or not). Also, since VA can be configured to have the more recent messages at either the top or the bottom, please indicate which of those options you have selected when you post your screenshot. Also, what is the setting of the rotary switch on the PTT tab of the VAICOM widget? This can matter since PTT behavior is somewhat module dependent.

If all else fails you may need to load a clean VAICOM profile and remap the TX keys per instructions in the VAICOM manual.

Apologies, I made a typo in the first button press. The release is TX1. The first button press always works.

I think there's some confusion because the second button press follows what I described, or at least it does from my point of view (woods for trees maybe...)

I'll number the lines as they appear in VA for the second button press (effectively new messages appear at the bottom - simply because as I've typed them it makes more sense to put them in this order...)

1.Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 press'
2. Listening Resumed

3. --------------------------------------

4. DCS mission | Georgia

5. Player TLicense entered module F-16C Viper, unit callsign Enfield 11

6. Nearest ATC:Kutaisi.

7. Listening suspended

8. Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

9. --------------------------------------

As you can see line 7 shows the listening being suspended prior to line 8 where the button is being released.

I've tried another module (FA18) and it exhibits the same behaviour, but it only does it in mission. It does it in both single player and multiplayer.

In the images below, the more recent messages are at the top of the list.

PTT rotary.png

VA list.png

PTT settings.png

TX1 press.png

TX1 release.png

VA general.png

VA hotkeys.png

VA joystick options.png

If there's any other things that I can grab that might help anyone with diagnosing this, just let me know.

Many thanks for your help so far!

-Tony

Edited by TLicense
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, TLicense said:

Apologies, I made a typo in the first button press. The release is TX1. The first button press always works.

I think there's some confusion because the second button press follows what I described, or at least it does from my point of view (woods for trees maybe...)

I'll number the lines as they appear in VA for the second button press (effectively new messages appear at the bottom - simply because as I've typed them it makes more sense to put them in this order...)

1.Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 press'
2. Listening Resumed

3. --------------------------------------

4. DCS mission | Georgia

5. Player TLicense entered module F-16C Viper, unit callsign Enfield 11

6. Nearest ATC:Kutaisi.

7. Listening suspended

8. Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

9. --------------------------------------

As you can see line 7 shows the listening being suspended prior to line 8 where the button is being released.

I've tried another module (FA18) and it exhibits the same behaviour, but it only does it in mission. It does it in both single player and multiplayer.

In the images below, the more recent messages are at the top of the list.

PTT rotary.png

VA list.png

PTT settings.png

TX1 press.png

TX1 release.png

VA general.png

VA hotkeys.png

VA joystick options.png

If there's any other things that I can grab that might help anyone with diagnosing this, just let me know.

Many thanks for your help so far!

-Tony

All of that looks correct to me. Here are a few suggestions: (1) Test when DCS is not running so that no module or mission is loaded. If you still have a problem then it has something to do with module or mission interaction, although this seems unlikely. (2) Test with the rotary switch on the PTT tab set to NRML. Possibly the use of INV is related to the issue. (3) Bring up the "Edit a command" window in your profile for command "Transmit TX1 Release." Then click on the box with three dots to the right of the "when I press button" line and provide a screenshot of the dialog that opens so that we can see that you have the button correctly configured to only activate on button release. 

• Like 1

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

6 minutes ago, sthompson said:

All of that looks correct to me. Here are a few suggestions: (1) Test when DCS is not running so that no module or mission is loaded. If you still have a problem then it has something to do with module or mission interaction, although this seems unlikely. (2) Test with the rotary switch on the PTT tab set to NRML. Possibly the use of INV is related to the issue. (3) Bring up the "Edit a command" window in your profile for command "Transmit TX1 Release." Then click on the box with three dots to the right of the "when I press button" line and provide a screenshot of the dialog that opens so that we can see that you have the button correctly configured to only activate on button release. 

Without DCS running, it behaves 'normally'. In the image below, DCS is closed, I've then closed and re-opened VA then pressed the PTT button twice.

I've checked with the rotary switch in NRML and behaves the same.

I've attached the image of the TX1 release showing that the "Shortcut is invoked only when all buttons are released" is ticked.

Could it be that the profile is corrupt somehow?

VA_2_button_presses.png

select joystick buttons.png

12 minutes ago, TLicense said:

Without DCS running, it behaves 'normally'. In the image below, DCS is closed, I've then closed and re-opened VA then pressed the PTT button twice.

I've checked with the rotary switch in NRML and behaves the same.

I've attached the image of the TX1 release showing that the "Shortcut is invoked only when all buttons are released" is ticked.

Could it be that the profile is corrupt somehow?

VA_2_button_presses.png

select joystick buttons.png

Turn on VAICOM debugging to see if you get any better information in the VA window. Try moving your rotary switch to NRML to see if that makes a difference. Also enable the keyboard button 1 on the press and release definitions and try using that instead of your joystick. (That should verify that the issue is not related to something in your joystick setup outside of VA.) If none of those makes the problem go away then I'm out of ideas. Everything you've shown so far seems correctly configured. I doubt if it's a corrupt profile since the press and release commands seem correctly set up. The actual "listening" on/off commands are being executed by the plugin.

Edited by sthompson
added a suggestion

Solved!

OK, so if you click the "Visit VAICOMPRO thread at ED Forums" on the VAICOM Pro panel (as I did) it bring you right here. Well, if you go up one 'level' on the forum and take a look around then there is this thread:

Turns out that VAICOM Pro and DiCE have some compatibility issues, so I've binned off DiCE and now all is well!

Thanks for all your help!

Edited by TLicense
  • Like 1

Solved!
OK, so if you click the "Visit VAICOMPRO thread at ED Forums" (as I did) it bring you right here. Well, if you go up one 'level' on the forum and take a look around then there is this thread:

Turns out that VAICOM Pro and DiCE have some compatibility issues, so I've binned off DiCE and now all is well!

Thanks for all your help!
Glad you solved it.
I keep forgetting that DiCE might interfere, as I have uninstalled it.
Cheers!