Question for Oculus Rift S users

OnlyforDCS

Im a total newb in VR thinking about getting the S. Can you use the hand controller to "virtually" hit switches and buttons in the cockpit?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes. The Oculus Touch Controllers is only official of those controllers that come with VR HMD. Otherwise you need to use various other means or by other devices like Capto Gloves.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

And to add.

The buttons on left controller will perform View Reset and then a Game Menu. The both Ministicks will work as Left when you move it Aft and as Right click when you move it Forward. When you move mini-stick to Left or Right you are performing various speed the wheel scrolling. But you can as well grab a knob or dial and then move hand up/down to adjust those.

You will probably not use the hand controllers but the mouse to hit the switches.

For the switch in front of you, the cursor moved with the head tracking and the mouse buttons binds to HOTAS is very efficient and feel relatively natural. For switches on the side, mouse is often better to don’t break your neck.

I use this combination with a mouse on my right and a small industrial trackpad with two physical button on my left, glued on the throttle arm support. It helps to reach the switches when I want to keep my hand on the stick. I also use it to enable the mouse cursor to move it with my head. The fact that I need to reach out the trackpad button and remove my hand from the throttle give some nice immersion at low cost

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2

You can use the touch controllers to flick switches... But you will probably stop after 10 switches and move back to the mouse. Dont even think about that CaptoScam... I mean CaptoGlove. Sorry :music_whistling:.

Yout want to use your hands to flick a switch? Look at PointCTRL. Otherwise stick to a Button Box, Mouse, Trackball, Trackpad for VR.

Edited by Gruman

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard

Im worried about not being able to see my keyboard and mouse, isn't that an issue?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You can set the Oculus Guardian wall just so you lean little forward and Passthrough+ activates, now you have a cameras showing your real room and you can see keyboard etc.

But mouse and keyboard are no where near as immersive as touch controllers. You have no problem to grab controller and then do your settings. And the immersion comes that you actually move your hands around cockpit instead turn your head and press hotas buttons to click.

You will learn ghat immersion is that in heat of battle, you are not to make anything else than focus for the combat. Why HOTAS is in first place so important. In middle of attack you are not inputting coordinates, adjusting your radios, you will learn that all that you are suppose to be done before you enter to combat zone and you are middle of fight.

The most natural, most immersive flying in VR you can do is when you use your hands around cockpit instead mouse or keyboard or functions binded to HOTAS that doesnt belong there.

Im a total newb in VR thinking about getting the S. Can you use the hand controller to "virtually" hit switches and buttons in the cockpit?

Have a look at this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=218861

Or you can use the mouse, that works well for lot of people. You can also assign left and right mouse buttons to a controller, joystick/button boxes.

I don't have the S, but most devices have enough gap in the nose so that you can peak through the bridge of your nose. Some people say it breaks immersion, but for me it doesn't.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have the Rift S and can use the controllers. But I want to use the mouse. I have a keybind for activate/deactivate the mouse in VR but I dont see the mousecursor. It does have an effect when I activate: I cannot flick switches with the touch controllers anymore.

How do I get to see the mouse cursor?

I have the Rift S and can use the controllers. But I want to use the mouse. I have a keybind for activate/deactivate the mouse in VR but I dont see the mousecursor. It does have an effect when I activate: I cannot flick switches with the touch controllers anymore.

Not really sure I understand why you do not see the mouse cursor in DCS VR.

I do with no problem, you have the mouse checked in the VR settings?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I found that I'd the controllers are enabled they grab the pointer at all times, so best way to make sure your mouse is the primary unselect "use VR controllers" in the VR menu.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

Not really sure I understand why you do not see the mouse cursor in DCS VR.

I do with no problem, you have the mouse checked in the VR settings?

Yes I checked it.

But now it works!

I had to uncheck the Rift controllers.... :music_whistling: