Report: Upgrade from Rift S -> Reverb, 1070ti to 1080ti

Lancezh

Upgrading an Oculus RiftS to Reverb

============================

Just a short Performance Report from my side

(i7 9700k, 3.6GHZ OC to -> 5.0GHZ)

I recently upgraded my Oculus Rift S to a Reverb (4320 x 2160) and...

my 1070ti to a 1080ti everything tuned and optimized (OC, Process lasso, Reprojection etc.)

Here's what changed / happened:

Oculus Rift S to Reverb: Big Resolution Boost, much more clarity than the Rift S, smaller Sweet spot though (noticable), got used to it after about ~30 min. Jagged lines more apparent due to the insane resolution, much more intense blacks for some reason. Spotting much much easier than in the Rift S, most noticable with instruments, they are crisp, no blurryness anymore end of story.

1070ti to 1080ti (on the Reverb): The 1070ti can definitely push a reverb but it's running into problems, thanks to reprojection it was playable, about 80% comfortable with apparent drops when the server was busy, average FPS between 30-40fps (Hornet), overall playable. Now the 1080ti was a huge performance boost. Average fps 60 - 90fps (Hornet), 99.9% of the time absolutely fluid and playable. Both cards were NOT overclocked for this test.

Tldr, if you have an Oculus Rift S and you look to upgrade it, i highly recommend the Reverb but wouldn't recommend it on anything lower than the 1080ti unless you play on empty servers only for yourself with the 1070ti. Personally i wasn't convinced by any of the other Headsets (to be good enough to replace the Rift S), the Reverb is now my 4th Headset and overall the best for DCS that i've owned by quite a margin, it's also quite affordable in my area atm (only 200$ more than the rift)

PS: Current optimization Changes i applied is what is suggested by most VR guides for the specific headsets here on this forum: https://vr4dcs.com/category/reverb-setup/

Edited by Lancezh
Added PS

Thanks for this.

It's a timely review because as much as I like the Rift S ( my first VR headset) I do struggle with the blurriness, and no matter what tweaks I make or how I try to position it on my head, I just can't quite seem to get the clarity I want, especially readability of the MFDs in the Hornet.

I'm not too sure how to trial a Reverb. Is it possible to get one from Amazon and if I'm not happy just return it?

Thanks

Intel i7 8700K @ 5Ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming5, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3000MHz, Nvidia 3080Ti FE, Samsung 970 NVME, Samsung 512GB EVO SSD x 2, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2, Windows 11 x64, DCS Modules = FC3, A10c Warthog, F14 Tomcat, F18 Hornet, F16 Viper, Persian Gulf, Syria.

Thanks for this.

It's a timely review because as much as I like the Rift S ( my first VR headset) I do struggle with the blurriness, and no matter what tweaks I make or how I try to position it on my head, I just can't quite seem to get the clarity I want, especially readability of the MFDs in the Hornet.

I'm not too sure how to trial a Reverb. Is it possible to get one from Amazon and if I'm not happy just return it?

Thanks

Amazon has the HP Reverb shipped and sold by Amazon, at least in my area (U.S.A.). I am an Amazon Prime member, I know I could order to try and would have 30 days where I could return it for refund or exchange with no problem.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Thanks for this.

Thanks

I have been with oculus from day one, DK1, DK2, CV1, and now the Rift S, and it starts to really annoy me. Constantly the Touch controllers being out battery, even though i dont use them, i use VR anyways 95% for DCS and nothing else... it really was time for me to say good bye at least in parts. I never had gamebreaking issues with the Rift and got lucky all in all, but yeah...

Just be aware that the Touch Controllers and WMR are not as good as oculus. You need a bluetooth capable pc or dongle to even use those bloody controllers. Saying that, they are still wrapped in my box that came with the reverb and i haven't touched them, so... i don't mind that at all.

In regards to return policies, i cannot help you as i'm in switzerland but i assume this comes down to the reseller, when in doubt, ask the specific retailer that sends them.

IF you do go for the reverb, remember to tune your rig as suggested in the article that i linked, it has a significant impact on performance, and just out of the box the reverb might look not like a big improvement compared to the rift, especially the smaller sweet spot was noticeable for me, but i got used to it afterwards.

Edited by Lancezh

Thanks for this.

Thanks

And the HP online store offers 30days return...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Thanks for this.

Thanks

parxuk, i just bought the Rift S, from Amazon UK (Prime member) its still in the box as im offshore, and i did lots of research before buying, but clearly not enough :) i have 30 days to return or exchange so plenty of time to give it a go and return if im not happy. My PC stats are on my signature so im hoping the RTX 2070 super will be up to the task.

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

Was debating purchasing the Reverb to replace my Rift S. I've tried OG Rift, Odyssey, Odyssey Plus, and Vive Pro. I've only used the Reverb for about 3 hours last night, and other than a clunky setup routine, all of the issues I've had with WMR have been addressed, and the three hour session I had last night with the Reverb was incredible. Long term reliability remains to be tested, but overall I'm HIGHLY impressed with both performance, comfort and resolution of Reverb. If it continues to work glitch free, I will definitely be selling my Rift S. I felt like i was looking at monitor last night and performance of reprojection seems even better than Rift S. I'm running 8700 at 5.1 Ghz, with 2080Ti so I'd hoped for a good performance and was not disappointed (pegged at 45 with no ghosting in cockpit, and immediately jumps to 90 when switching to external view). I'll try IL-2 tonight, but super excited about this headset. Sweet spot seems huge to me and overall comfort is really good. Cable sucks, but I don't notice it while flying. FOV seems on par with Rift S, maybe a little less FOV in the vertical? If you're on the fence, I'd say pull the trigger as this is NOTICEABLY better than Rift S IMHO.

Was debating purchasing the Reverb to replace my Rift S. I've tried OG Rift, Odyssey, Odyssey Plus, and Vive Pro. I've only used the Reverb for about 3 hours last night, and other than a clunky setup routine, all of the issues I've had with WMR have been addressed, and the three hour session I had last night with the Reverb was incredible. Long term reliability remains to be tested, but overall I'm HIGHLY impressed with both performance, comfort and resolution of Reverb. If it continues to work glitch free, I will definitely be selling my Rift S. I felt like i was looking at monitor last night and performance of reprojection seems even better than Rift S. I'm running 8700 at 5.1 Ghz, with 2080Ti so I'd hoped for a good performance and was not disappointed (pegged at 45 with no ghosting in cockpit, and immediately jumps to 90 when switching to external view). I'll try IL-2 tonight, but super excited about this headset. Sweet spot seems huge to me and overall comfort is really good. Cable sucks, but I don't notice it while flying. FOV seems on par with Rift S, maybe a little less FOV in the vertical? If you're on the fence, I'd say pull the trigger as this is NOTICEABLY better than Rift S IMHO.

Exactly the same about Odyssey, Index etc... just not THAT of an upgrade

I'm doing the same, if this persists for a week, (currently i feel like having more eyestrain) then i'll sell my Rift. Can i ask what IPD setting you have in DCS ?

My measured IPD by optometrist is 68.5. I have it set to 67 in WMR settings (because that's as high as it goes with the slider) and set it to 68 in DCS - which is really just for world scale. I do notice a bit of eyestrain, but it almost feels like it's because the visuals are SO good - like looking at high resolution monitor up close or something? The sweetspot for me (area where headset can sit on face with things still in focus) seems pretty big to me, but it can be difficult to see switch names when looking down and behind. Sometimes I have to physically move the headset down on my face when looking down and behind me so everything is in focus.The other thing I experimented with was removing facial interface foam which allows the headset to sit closer to your face, drastically improving the field of view. I did a similar mod with my Rift S and I think I will do it for reverb as well, by adding some craft foam or weather stripping along the forehead.

I have been with oculus from day one, DK1, DK2, CV1, and now the Rift S, and it starts to really annoy me. Constantly the Touch controllers being out battery, even though i dont use them, i use VR anyways 95% for DCS and nothing else... it really was time for me to say good bye at least in parts. I never had gamebreaking issues with the Rift and got lucky all in all, but yeah...

Just be aware that the Touch Controllers and WMR are not as good as oculus. You need a bluetooth capable pc or dongle to even use those bloody controllers. Saying that, they are still wrapped in my box that came with the reverb and i haven't touched them, so... i don't mind that at all.

In regards to return policies, i cannot help you as i'm in switzerland but i assume this comes down to the reseller, when in doubt, ask the specific retailer that sends them.

IF you do go for the reverb, remember to tune your rig as suggested in the article that i linked, it has a significant impact on performance, and just out of the box the reverb might look not like a big improvement compared to the rift, especially the smaller sweet spot was noticeable for me, but i got used to it afterwards.

When I do a long gaming session with just flight sims, I remove the batteries from my Touch Controllers and leave them out till I need them again.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

My measured IPD by optometrist is 68.5. I have it set to 67 in WMR settings (because that's as high as it goes with the slider) and set it to 68 in DCS - which is really just for world scale. I do notice a bit of eyestrain, but it almost feels like it's because the visuals are SO good - like looking at high resolution monitor up close or something? The sweetspot for me (area where headset can sit on face with things still in focus) seems pretty big to me, but it can be difficult to see switch names when looking down and behind. Sometimes I have to physically move the headset down on my face when looking down and behind me so everything is in focus.The other thing I experimented with was removing facial interface foam which allows the headset to sit closer to your face, drastically improving the field of view. I did a similar mod with my Rift S and I think I will do it for reverb as well, by adding some craft foam or weather stripping along the forehead.

Yeah i was referring to the worldscale setting, i have it on 55 ipd normally, just trying to figure out what's giving me eyestrain

Your description let me think to this thread: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=259662

If my memory is good and not confused, Wicked has also a true IPD that is not possible to reach with most of the HMD on the market and can't have confortable vision with the Reverb for 1mm difference between it's true IPD and setting available. For him, only the Valve Index seems to works well.

He could probably give you more info if I am not wrong or try to read his feedbacks in the Valve Index thread as a hint

i7 12700k, RTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, M.2 512Go, Quest 2