Let's talk the P-51 in combat in DCS - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #41
Shahdoh

And then I chase him down from below him, he has to come back down eventually. It is a matter of patience.

But the point I was making is that the Mustang does indeed have a top speed advantage. I would like to put that to the test.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #42
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdoh View Post
And then I chase him down from below him, he has to come back down eventually. It is a matter of patience.

But the point I was making is that the Mustang does indeed have a top speed advantage. I would like to put that to the test.
Still, i cant belive that engine model allowing to fly at this power settings 67"2700.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:53 AM   #43
Snapage

In my opinion the P51D is broken and not performing as the real thing did. I believe this because you can't fly it as the manual recommends without suffering engine failure. For example:

1. You can not use war emergency power as the P51D manual recommends because it will cause random engine failure.

2. The auto radiator setting does not open the radiators(oil and water) completely so you have to manually open them when temps start to rise(specially in a climb).

3. The drop tanks don't work.

4. The six .50 caliber guns underperform badly(new damage model will fix this).

Regarding P51D performance vs FW190D9, the P51D is faster while using WEP but WEP means your engine will fail. P51D is a little faster then the FW190 in a dive though the 190 maneuvers better at high speed.

The FW190 turns tighter at high speed but the P51D turns tighter at low speeds. The FW190s biggest edge is that it climbs better then the P51D but overall the two aircraft are evenly matched in my opinion.
Snapage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #44
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
In my opinion the P51D is broken and not performing as the real thing did. I believe this because you can't fly it as the manual recommends without suffering engine failure. For example:

1. You can not use war emergency power as the P51D manual recommends because it will cause random engine failure.

2. The auto radiator setting does not open the radiators(oil and water) completely so you have to manually open them when temps start to rise(specially in a climb).

3. The drop tanks don't work.

4. The six .50 caliber guns underperform badly(new damage model will fix this).

Regarding P51D performance vs FW190D9, the P51D is faster while using WEP but WEP means your engine will fail. P51D is a little faster then the FW190 in a dive though the 190 maneuvers better at high speed.

The FW190 turns tighter at high speed but the P51D turns tighter at low speeds. The FW190s biggest edge is that it climbs better then the P51D but overall the two aircraft are evenly matched in my opinion.
Agree,
Imo, when manual says 67"3000rpm WEP for 5 minutes, for me it mean that pilot have 5minutes of wep operation with very very very low engine fail chance.
You should be able to use wep much much longer but with high risk of engine fail.
I encounter engien seisure after much shorter time than 5 minutes.
I alwayes do things as manual recomends, warm up to 40 celcius oil, then run up at 2400rpm mags/fuel pump/gavernor check. Im alwayes t/o with radiator door full open, i noticed that when auto doors are on, engien overheats during t/o.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #45
Snapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafspee View Post
Agree,
Imo, when manual says 67"3000rpm WEP for 5 minutes, for me it mean that pilot have 5minutes of wep operation with very very very low engine fail chance.
You should be able to use wep much much longer but with high risk of engine fail.
I encounter engien seisure after much shorter time than 5 minutes.
I alwayes do things as manual recomends, warm up to 40 celcius oil, then run up at 2400rpm mags/fuel pump/gavernor check. Im alwayes t/o with radiator door full open, i noticed that when auto doors are on, engien overheats during t/o.

The P51D manual says that the basis for establishing the war emergency rating is to make available to the pilot in combat the absolute maximum manifold pressure at which the engine may be operated within reasonable safety limits, for a five minute period under emergency conditions.

Reasonable safety limits is not guaranteed engine failure in my opinion.

It also says that WEP reduces the lifespan of the engine and after 5 hours of accumulated WEP time the engine should be pulled for tear down inspection.

Also considering that the same engine was cleared for much higher engine ratings later on(with higher octane fuel) gives me the impression that 67" manifold pressure is not that close to the absolute limit of the aircraft/engine.

I see there are people asking for a 150 octane P51D which would be nice but I think just having the current P51D with realistic engine performance would be a nice to have.

Last edited by Snapage; 08-14-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #46
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapage View Post
It also says that WEP reduces the lifespan of the engine and after 5 hours of accumulated WEP time the engine should be pulled for tear down inspection.
5 hours of accumulated WEP operation.
Try this in dcs, Sometimes after 3-4 minutes there is nothing left for tear down inspection(unless you want to send team with shovels to dig engine from ground).
This is exactly what i trying to say for quite time already,
In p-51 manual which i have, there is 10 hour limit for tear down inspection.

Last edited by grafspee; 08-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #47
Aurelius

I can only speak from virtual combat experience on the Burning Skies server so far and the answer is very clear, .... I cannot catch a Dora down low. Once they engage MW50, that's it, ... they speed off and I might as well twiddle my toes. In the last three days I have shot down three people but I have sprayed long streams of bullets into perhaps 15 Dora flyers and many of them kicked in MW50 and took off seemingly without engine trouble. Amazing

ED Programmers and Admin, ... when possible, might you allow the P-51 to be laid out as a late 1944 version was, so that things are evened up?

Be careful when driving on the roads, almost half the people you drive past or beside have below average intelligence.

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - GTX 2080 Ti SLI - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog /CH Pro Throttle - Slaw RX Viper Pedals - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Index

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW

Last edited by Aurelius; 08-15-2019 at 11:43 AM.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #48
Mr_sukebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I can only speak from virtual combat experience on the Burning Skies server so far and the answer is very clear, .... I cannot catch a Dora down low. Once they engage MW50, that's it, ... they speed off and I might as well twiddle my toes. In the last three days I have shot down three people but I have sprayed long streams of bullets into perhaps 15 Dora flyers and many of them kicked in MW50 and took off seemingly without engine trouble. Amazing

ED Programmers and Admin, ... when possible, might you allow the P-51 to be laid out as a late 1944 version was, so that things are evened up?
Or in the short term ask eekz to remove MW50 from the server...
That should make things a lot closer, but will of course result in bleating from those more interested in their stats than gameplay.
Old 08-15-2019, 12:47 PM   #49
razo+r
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_sukebe View Post
Or in the short term ask eekz to remove MW50 from the server...
That should make things a lot closer, but will of course result in bleating from those more interested in their stats than gameplay.
If he removes it, then he should also drop in a notification that it is disabled. Otherwise a lot of people will smash their engines not knowing why it happened.
razo+r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:43 PM   #50
Snapage

The current match up is pretty even, if you remove MW50 the allies will dominate. The 109K4 will be more like a G6 and the G6 is not good versus its contemporary adversaries.