OK, I'm going to put my ego down and ask

aw33com

What causes this idiotic Maverick error?

1930444816_harriererror.png.e65d447fdb5f998c7a24665cef818638.png

40% of my flights result in this error. I lock the target with TPG and boom the screen goes black. I sometimes manage to fix the problem by going back to Nav mode, and then back to A2G mode again. There must be something I am doing wrong.

Anyway, any help would be appropriated. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Edited by aw33com

1. You disagree with the early access model.

I agree, it sucks, I've learned my early-access lesson, but dude, nobody put a gun to your head and forced you to buy in early access.

I bought this module fully knowing that it still wouldnt be "released" for maybe another year, maybe two.

You have been offered the chance to play in-progress versions of the software as it is developed.

2. Im....pretty sure they do. Software development is just not how you think it is. The bugs arent there because the developers think the software is perfect. Its not in early access because the software is perfect.

You've bought and paid for an incomplete game in development, thats all.

What you've got is a piece of software infinitely more capable than no software, a year or more before you would normally see it.

Its a well known, very old and not yet fixed bug. You press TDC Action while useing the Tpod. That instantly throws you to the INS/TV/LST.while it shouldn't.

You should not press TDC Action when using the target pod. Because of that, you also cannot use axis to slew... (Also a bug, slewing with the axis does not designate a target when stop moveing).

Just use the tdc direction keys to find a target, uncage the maverick, press SSU to select the mav mfd and press TDC Action until you have a lock. Then rifle.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

Its a well known, very old and not yet fixed bug. You press TDC Action while useing the Tpod. That instantly throws you to the INS/TV/LST.while it shouldn't.

You should not press TDC Action when using the target pod. Because of that, you also cannot use axis to slew... (Also a bug, slewing with the axis does not designate a target when stop moveing).

Just use the tdc direction keys to find a target, uncage the maverick, press SSU to select the mav mfd and press TDC Action until you have a lock. Then rifle.

Got it. Do you have any idea why it works sometimes and sometimes it does not even though my behavior is the same each time?

Obviously I only use the Tpod. Will try your way.

Edited by aw33com

Because it not always rejects you to the INS/TV/LST screen when pressing TDC Action while useing the pod.

Right, but why is that?

I'm asking cause I noticed this happens mostly when I'm under pressure and I'm in a steeper dive. Trying to find the cause for going into INS.

The cause is simple:

TDC Action should have no effect when useing the tpod. Unfortunately it is bugged and randomly rejects you to the INS/TV/LST page when pressing it. More unfortunately Razbam does not loose a word on the bug or any intention to fix it.

Steam user - Youtube

My tip is to use DMT and only equip TGP for missions with laser guided munitions or recon flights. I find it unreliable at the moment. Especially in stressful situations it can really throw you off.

So how to find targets without the TGP? Use NAVFLIR in hud (even in day missions) in conjunction with the DMT. Your SA will be more limited, but it is reliable.

If all you want is TGP. Put TDC action on a hard to reach button.

What causes this idiotic Maverick error?

Anyway, any help would be appropriated. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

I can not see what the problem is you are refering to?

Can you post a short track showcasing the issue?

No need to left the TPOD at home, works fine and I use it all the time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Tpod is unfortunately still messed up very much, if you read all the posts and take a look at the screenshot, you will understand whats the problem...

Anyway, the tpod is still useable, but since the ASL is fixed (or kinda), i really like to drop Mk82 with the DMT in Auto mode, thats something special you can do in that way so precise only with the Harrier. Makes a lot of fun...

Steam user - Youtube

Yeah there are weird bugs with the TPOD, this being one of them. Alsong with the DMT slew bug. The other is the laser on but not guiding "bug". I've seen it with both Lmav's and GBU's, you just turn it on/off to get it to work, but its a mystery to me why the laser guides sometimes and not others.

Its usable but buggy...

And yes with the fixed ASL line the DMT/Navflir combo works fairly well. If only we had the actual hotspot tracker. I use this on the cold war server when I can fly the harrier there since the TPOD would be absurdly anachronistic.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

My tip is to use DMT and only equip TGP for missions with laser guided munitions or recon flights. I find it unreliable at the moment. Especially in stressful situations it can really throw you off.

So how to find targets without the TGP? Use NAVFLIR in hud (even in day missions) in conjunction with the DMT. Your SA will be more limited, but it is reliable.

Or if all you want to use is TGP. Put TDC action to a hard to reach button.

If you press TDC down (action position) you are telling the aircraft:"I want to attack this" Since the aircraft gets its most accurate targeting information from the DMT, it will try to switch to it. If the TGP is on the right MFD, DMT will supersede it.

How to avoid this?

- Don't press TDC down (action) is not needed to target with TGP

or

- Have TGP on Left MFD

or

- Do not press TDC down (action) withing DMT Field Of View (FOV, i.e. Target 90° offset from the nose)

The way I do it:

- Aircraft on A/G mode

- Find target with TGP in HMS mode. Just have the target at the center of the TGP screen (crosshair) no need to press TDC down (action)

- IRMV Rdy

- Switch TGP to TDC

- maneuver aircraft so target is in HUD FOV

- Uncage IRMV

- Select IRMV as your main sensor

- Change FOV zoom in IRMV page if needed

- Press TDC down (action position), if target have high enough contrast IRMV will lock to it (crosshair collapse on target). If IRMV does not lock, continue to fly towards the target ( no need to dive, just stay withing IRMV FOV )

- Once IRMV locks, press and hold weapons release until missile fires.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

OK, I'm going to put my ego down and ask

Easier fix: if you have a TGP equipped, then turn off the power to the DMT. Then when you depress TDC action it does not throw you into the DMT mode.

Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz // Nvidia GTX 1080Ti // 32 GB DDR4 RAM // 1 TB SSD

Easier fix: if you have a TGP equipped, then turn off the power to the DMT. Then when you depress TDC action it does not throw you into the DMT mode.

Thats a really good suggestion actually. Thanks!

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Or if all you want to use is TGP. Put TDC action to a hard to reach button.

Part of the reason the TPOD is so popular is that most MP servers I'm on, have either no JTAC lasing at all or its really limited. Part of this are the various limitations "in game" but if it could be fixed. I.e. having some possibility for "troops in contact" type scenarios or a SF team lasing a strike target for example. This would a) actually be realistic b) enable tons of other aircraft that don't have TPOD's to allow them to effectively use PGM's. Which is actually the way most PGM's were employed up through the 90's due to limited numbers of TPOD's, you relied on guys on the ground or in some cases buddy lasing, when that was possible (lower threat environments).

Figured it out. It's not a bug. It was me doing it.

What happened was I was taking down ground units around big SAMs, or taking out SAMs using Mavericks. In order to not get shot down, I would have to sneak in and maneuver a lot. I would slew the TPOD to my target from far away and then and I would maneuver the aircraft towards that target. Then, I would uncage the Mavericks and press Sensor Select Forward. Problem was I would uncage the Mavericks and press Sensor Select Forward while the Maverick field of view would be outside of the slewed target.

It's not possible to target the Mavericks to something they don't see. Hence the error message on the right MPCD. I just tested it now and it seems to fix the problem. So it's not a bug, but rather lack of patience from me while under S300 or other big SAM.

I hope this helps for those that had this "bug". I'm sure some of the suggestions above could work, but I don't imagine flying the Harrier without TPOD. It's not efficient for me.

Few notes:

1. My DMT power was always off.

2. "Don't press TDC down (action) is not needed to target with TGP" - This is not possible. In your description you switch from TPOD to DMT and even then you say you actually do press TDC down. With TGP you do need to press TDC down, otherwise it won't fire.

3. "Have TGP on Left MFD" - you can't do that. It's true Mavericks are ACCIDENTALLY wired for the RIGHT MPCD but they won't fire. That is a bug for sure. The real Harrier is not wired for Mavericks on the right MPCD.

Long story short all works with TPOD. Can't uncage when the field of view for the Maverick is not there. That's all.

Edited by aw33com

Unfortunately, this does not work. Still throws you into the turned off DMT.

Its a 50:50 chance if it works, or if it puts you to DMT mode.

Few notes:

1. My DMT power was always off.

2. "Don't press TDC down (action) is not needed to target with TGP" - This is not possible. In your description you switch from TPOD to DMT and even then you say you actually do press TDC down. With TGP you do need to press TDC down, otherwise it won't fire.

3. "Have TGP on Left MFD" - you can't do that. It's true Mavericks are ACCIDENTALLY wired for the RIGHT MPCD but they won't fire. That is a bug for sure. The real Harrier is not wired for Mavericks on the right MPCD.

1. Does not make a difference

2. You mess something up:

Slew with the Tpod to the target.

Press uncage to uncage the maverick. This also automaticly activated the Maverick FOV on your left MFD.

Press now SSS UP to change you controls from the TPod to the Mav MFD.

Now press TDC Action to lock the Mav.

You have to press TDC action while on the Mav screen to get a lock with the Mav, not to designate a target while on the TPod.

3. Has nothign to do with anything here.

Edited by viper2097

Steam user - Youtube

Tested it yesterday and today once agin for being sure:

DMT is not useable when turned off.

It can only be switched between INS and LST. LST is also turned off, the X stays in the middle of the screen.

Useing the Tpod and then pressing TDC action leads to two possibilities:

1. It happens nothing if you have slewed before with buttons. Or, if you have slewed before with axis, it designates now the point and show you the coordinates.

2. It designates a target with the DMT. It does it either the DMT is turned off, or on.

It also throws you to the TV/LST or INS screen and the designated target gets kinda stuck. It won't undesignate with NWS.

You have to switch between DMT and TPod, or do some other things, to get it working again.

I have not found a reason yet what could lead to 1 or 2. Seems pure luck or whatever...

According to another thread, according the NATOPS, pressing TDC action is not required when useing the TPod, however, also it should have no effect if it would be done.

So, beside that disgracefully implemented pointtrack and laser designating while masked, and also that the laser is just stopping lasering without any reason, the TPod is still pretty well messed and / or bugged up.

Don't know if that is accurate, but I also wonder how the Tpod gets its target coordinates when the laser is safed (how does it meassures the distance to a target 5nm away, 3000ft down and on my 5 o'clock position when the laser is safe?).

There are so countless bugs in the Harrier and so many missing features, I really have no more trust in Razbam that they will get the things where they should be...

Its so a pitty because it really is such an amazing aircraft...

Steam user - Youtube