Training Missions updates and downloads

baltic_dragon

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys, I've added a set of PDF documents from the training missions for download in the first post, ready for download. Tomorrow I will publish M10 - Advanced Handling!

At the risk of sounding a bit thick betwixt the ears, I actually don't know what to do with the PDF Kneeboard documents.

Should they be installed in a custom-created "Kneeboard" folder in Saved Games/Open Beta/.. ... ? Or do they go somewhere else ?

Furthermore, should they remain in the Folder called "__MACOSX" ? Or should I Unzip the PDF's from this folder to the newly created Kneeboard Folder (because I don't already have a Kneeboard folder) ?

And finally, with regards to the PDF's, should there be any issue with the PDF File Names starting with "._Kneeboard" ?

The ._ portion of the name seems odd AND when I try to open the file directly by double clicking on it, Adobe Reader gives me a bit of a hard time (and message) regarding the File Type or File Name .... Adobe says it can't read it or open it because it's not an Adobe File (or something to that effect.

So as usual, I'm completely confused although I managed to follow the instructions to install your Training Files to the Main DCS Install Folder.

SnowTiger:joystick:

So I said I'd get back to you about the Maverick Tutorial.

I completely reinstalled all of the Tutorial Missions and tried re-flying the Maverick training (short ?).

I still don't hear any voice-overs. Or more accurately, I hear only the very first comments and then no others after that.

Furthermore, after firing my First IR Mav, the tutorial suggests that by pressing the TDC that the Mav will switch from one target to another. Mine doesn't work that way.

First of all, my TDC down/press (not fwd, aft, left or right) is my TDC ACTION (not action/no action). When I hit it, it just resets the Mav Camera back to Boresight requiring me to have to go through the whole procedure again from scratch (for each target), starting with Sensor Select Aft x 2, pan the camera using TDC slew to find a target, uncage and lock when within range (which often requires more slewing using the TDC).

The part that suggests that the TDC Press (assuming that is TDC Action) does Not change the target the seeker head is looking at but rather resets it as if I hit the NWS button.

TDC Depress (Action) & Kneeboard

I have just gone through the tutorial again ... a few times.

Again, there is no voice-over beyond the initial comment/statement.

I have also attached the Note (and since there was no voice) which states {paraphrased} that repeatedly depressing the Action or TDC Press/Down switches between Tanks/Tgts. It does not change from target to target. At best it moves off the one target I slewed to myself and automatically slews miles away to seemingly nothing OR it just goes to boresight position (on the HUD).

And finally, I have yet to see any pages in the Kneeboard beyond a single 1st page.

That is to say I cannot change pages using [ or ] bracket keys.

It is like this in every mission tutorial I have tried.

I realize that I have the PDF's to go along with the tutorials but it would be handy to see them in the KB as well as being able to see the WP's. Especially when (at least in the few tutorials I have tried) we seem to be flying in the wrong direction when the mission starts and therefore have to turn around or switch WP's and turn to that direction BEFORE doing anything related to the mission.

EDIT .. PS> I concede that the problems I am having are due to both my inexperience as well as the possibility that things that worked previously, no longer work.

I'm still grateful for all the work you have done for the Tutorials. Trust that I am not criticizing your work but rather simply trying to point out what appear to be issues or discrepancies OR my ineptness when it comes to more complicated weapon systems etc.

TDC-Depress.jpg.eb45662ed408b02b54cb784e57464e8a.jpg

Edited by SnowTiger

Thanks. It may be a bug with TDC part. Once I release the remaining few missions I will revisit the previous ones and update them / squash remaining bugs and add some more Easter Eggs. It is possible that the short version of mission got broke somehow, will check and update that too. Thanks!

As for the kneeboard - do you have all the default pages and only one custom? Or you cannot change the pages at all?

Edited by baltic_dragon
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Is it possible to download individual files when there is an update rather than the whole 'training ready.zip' file?

EDIT: Sorry, I realise that would be a pain because of the lessons.lua file!

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Is it possible to download individual files when there is an update rather than the whole 'training ready.zip' file?

EDIT: Sorry, I realise that would be a pain because of the lessons.lua file!

You can always open them as single missions - or run them from ME. But to have them listed under training you need LUA file. But you can just D/L individual ones from the Zip I think and just update LUA, should work too!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Thanks BD, I guess it's no big deal. I'll just download them all on each update.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

As for the kneeboard - do you have all the default pages and only one custom? Or you cannot change the pages at all?

I apologize for the slow reply. I didn't see this question.

The answer is, the Kneeboard only shows me 1 page (of map). I cannot switch between pages using the Bracket [] Keys aka I cannot change the pages at all.

I have tried a couple different tutorials where this is the case and yet my Kneeboard works just fine (or as fine as it gets anyway !! lol) in both SP and MP.

• 3 weeks later...
Added TM13: SENSORS AND TARGET DESIGNATION, including TPOD tutorial. Mind you, there are still some small bugs that need to be addresses (mainly slewing in INS HUD mode and TPOD not slaving to sensors in one of the control modes).

Hay Dragon,

is it just me, or is the SSS functions still very much unfinished? In TM 13, I couldn't reproduce most of the SSS functions from the kneeboard. Also the TDC down/action pushbutton and or the TDC action no action toggle function is a bit confusing. "TDC down" press and release designates target under the velocity vector, but TDC toggle function doesn't. Also, SSS double tap in 0.8 seconds didn't bring up TDC HOTAS mode for me at least. No problem to remain patient about them, just your tutorial seemed to have them already functioning properly...

Hay Dragon,

is it just me, or is the SSS functions still very much unfinished? In TM 13, I couldn't reproduce most of the SSS functions from the kneeboard. Also the TDC down/action pushbutton and or the TDC action no action toggle function is a bit confusing. "TDC down" press and release designates target under the velocity vector, but TDC toggle function doesn't. Also, SSS double tap in 0.8 seconds didn't bring up TDC HOTAS mode for me at least. No problem to remain patient about them, just your tutorial seemed to have them already functioning properly...

See here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=240548.

Too many issues with the TPOD functions. However, getting the HTS mode to work should be ok, but what isn't mentioned is that you need to be in TPOD screen, i.e. PB18 then 13. From there, double pressing the SSS brings up the HTS mode.

As far as I remember, you need to be in HTS mode to make the SSS functions work. Some work and some don't.

Edited by imacken

Thanks for keeping us informed, BD.

@baltic_dragon

Do you happen to know if the Kneeboard Issues are related specifically to your Tutorials or is this a DCS/ED thing ?

The reason I ask is because I don't think I have had any issues with the Kneeboard while online in MP or any SP flights. It seems to only affect me in your tutorials.

This makes several of your tutorials a bit lacking simply because some of the pertinent information is said to be on the Kneeboard.

The issue I have found in all of the tutorials (that I have done to date) is that I am unable to Change ANY Pages. I get the First Page ONLY.

Again, this issue may exist in other scenarios but I am not aware of them.

Had same issue, disappeared yesterday. Indicator for it was in the control setup if you searched for Kneeboard commands, almost all of them was orange, sying "Same description, different function" or something like it. And the orange ones didn't work, but I could call up Kneeboard on/off, as this only remained white. Check Kneeboard commands in Controls.

Well ffs I would have NEVER figured that out.

This is the first and only Module that I recall having to set the page changing keys on my own.

They have always been the same keys for each and every module that I have and they all came that way.

My KB on/off and mark current location controls have always worked in the Harrier Tutorials. Only the Next Page/Prev Page stopped working.

Thank you @Razor18 to turning me on to this solution. I was all but ready to give up on these tutorials. You just saved me a ton (more) frustration.