New Life for the FA-18C/D Hornett

captflyby

I really love this DCS FA-18C.

Historically the FA-18C used the AIM-120C, the AGM-65F Maverick, and the AGM-88 HARM. I'm hoping we will get the latest HARM E model.

The C model Hornet can also have a synthetic aperture ground mapping radar enabling locations of targets in poor visibility, (may already have it and I just don't know it), can have upgraded AN/AAR-50 thermal navigation pod, and both upper multi-function display DDIs can be color w/ moving map (this would be easy to implement in DCS).

In addition, in 1992 (26 years ago) they gave the Hornet's engines 10% more thrust, (not sure if DCS has this thrust upgrade or not), AAS-38A self designated laser for self lase targeting, and the ability to strike targets lased by other aircraft.

I was surprised to find there is many more improvements that can be made to the current Hornet C model and retain its original C designation.

Not saying that will happen in DCS, just that it could if they decided to do so, and still retain the historical C model authenticity and ensuring Christmas time for the Hornet for many days to come.

They may already have these in the works, I don't know. But it is nice to dream.

An AGM-88E would be about as "historical" as a F-22 or F-35 rainbowdashwink.png

The FA-18C Hornet was retired in April 2018.

The AGM-88E AARGM was commissioned in 2010.

US Navy received 100 of them in Sept 2014 for FA-18C/D, E/F & G.

Sept 2015 the E first successful live fire of the E.

Whether the E was historical or not I cannot say.

They were developed, purchased, and fitted for the FA-18C.

I could find no evidence that they were actually used in combat prior to the Hornet's decommissioning in 2018.

Edited by captflyby