The HARM capabilities thread. (AGM-88C)

Freeroamer

Haha!

Why would anyone think the HARM self-destructs if the emitter turns off!?

Target radars blink on and off all the time just in case a HARM is guiding on them. (to disrupt the guidance)

This logic is flawed. Please go watch a documentary on the Wild Weasels or the SA-2 operators of Vietnam. If HARMs self-destructed when the signal was lost no HARM would have EVER scored a hit.

Haha!

Why would anyone think the HARM self-destructs if the emitter turns off!?

Because it does? If it loses the emitter it is homing in on, and cannot latch onto another emitter after x seconds (I don't recall the official time limit) it will self-destruct.

This logic is flawed. Please go watch a documentary on the Wild Weasels or the SA-2 operators of Vietnam. If HARMs self-destructed when the signal was lost no HARM would have EVER scored a hit.

Your knowledge is flawed. The HARM didn't exist until 1983. The Vietnam War ended in 1975.

In DCS multiplayer you can indeed turn the radar off, and ARM will miss. It's done quite often on the DDCS server.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Because it does? If it loses the emitter it is homing in on, and cannot latch onto another emitter after x seconds (I don't recall the official time limit) it will self-destruct.

Your knowledge is flawed. The HARM didn't exist until 1983. The Vietnam War ended in 1975.

Nealius, I'm not aware of the HARM having a self-destruct feature as you describe, however if its power source has expired meaning control inputs can no longer be accomplished, under these circumstances self-destruct could be plausible.

Out of interest, do you have a source for that at all?

i7-4770k | EVGA GTX 980 SC | 16GB DDR3 | TrackIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

DCS: F-16C, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, AV-8B, FC3, A-10C, Black Shark II, UH-1H, F-86F, MiG-21bis, Mirage 2000C, AJS-37, F-5E :pilotfly:

I've found what you think was happening.

There is only one mode out of five where this can happen. "Pre-briefed" is the only mode that may allow it to self-destruct. HARM as Sensor, Equations of Motion, Range Unknown and Self-protect modes do not allow the HARM to self-destruct.

In normal operation the HARM is designed to continue in the direction it last saw the emitter.

"continued homing capability even after the target emitter has been closed down (thanks to the incorporation of a memory in the guidance system)" (this is in reference to AGM-88 A/B/C)

Only source I could find that mentions self-destruct: https://www.vaq136.com/ea6bharm/

HARM is an evolution of the shrike, the point of that statement is that there is public information on U.S. designed ARMs and how they work. Good luck trying to find documentaries as detailed as those on HARM.

So whose logic is flawed? The HARM is by default designed to continue its course or look for a new target if an emitter drops. Hence the INS and later GPS.

Conflating one specific instance, with all instances, is flawed.

Edited by Beamscanner

I knew I read somewhere it had a self-destruct capability, but my logic was flawed to apply it to 'failing to acquire the target' in most cases. I was thinking a little too much of SAMs which tend to self-detonate after losing lock.

Thanks for the source/correction.

T.16000m HOTAS + Pedals || TrackIR5 ||

Win10 64bit || 120+500GB SSD, 1TB HDD || i5 4440 @3.3GHz || 16GB RAM @ 1600MHz || GTX1070 G1 ||

FCIII, L39ZA, AJS-37, Normandy '44, Persian Gulf, Channel

F/A-18C, Bf-109 K-4, WW2 Asset Pack, CA, P-47, F-16

You boys need the Alarm anti-radar missile to compliment the Harm.

Fire it in loiter mode where it climbs to altitude and deploys a parachute above a known target that has shut down. You simply pop-up and wait.

As soon as that radar lights up, the missile fires a secondary motor, homes in on the van and boom big hole in radar coverage.

You boys need the Alarm anti-radar missile to compliment the Harm.

Fire it in loiter mode where it climbs to altitude and deploys a parachute above a known target that has shut down. You simply pop-up and wait.

As soon as that radar lights up, the missile fires a secondary motor, homes in on the van and boom big hole in radar coverage.

The ALARM is not in use with the Hornet nor with any other aircraft we fly in DCS (not even with the Harrier variant that we have).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg