Low End VR Guys

Harlikwin

So, inspired by this thread, where it turns out that even a rather lower end GFX card seems to work for VR...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222525

I'm curious about other "low end" users and VR, I guess I'd be considering a Rift, since it seems to have lower overall requirements. I've used "samsung phone VR" a few years back, and while cool, I was not impressed with SDE and the overall low resolution, though it was pretty cool from the immersion point of view.

Given that my laptop is pretty marginal performance wise I was planning on upgrading it in about a year maybe more and then sometime later going with a gen2 VR headset. It seems like they are making decently rapid progress with VR. Then again, if a rift and my current system can work OK (I'm not expecting miracles graphics wise). I'm not opposed to getting a rift now, and then upgrading the system later.

Spec listed in the signature, basically its an ASUS ROG G751, about the only thing I can upgrade on it is the RAM and I'm not sure that would do much for performance.

Any comments from "lower end guys". Do it? Wait??

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The only thing that worries me about your specs is the 980... I bought my Rift and used a 1070 and my personal opinion is that was the absolute minimum I would be happy with. (I know the specs say 1060 and folks are running with less than the 1070 but I would not recommend anything less than a 1070 for DCS.)

Pretty sure I would not have been happy with anything less

Obviously, purely my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

What kind of framerates were you getting with the 1070? Since its a laptop, Its not like I can upgrade the GFX card... I'm hoping to go back to actual desktop in a year or so.

In the other thread the guy mentioned it worked ok with a 970m (less powerful than a 980m). I'm just looking for opinions from other low end VR guys.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Rift can be very finicky with laptops on whether it will even work or not.

Based on your specs I would not really encourage you to do it.

I see this a lot over on the Oculus forums.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Rift can be very finicky with laptops on whether it will even work or not.

Based on your specs I would not really encourage you to do it.

I see this a lot over on the Oculus forums.

Yeah, I looked into that a bit and I think I understand at least some of the issues with this specific system. Basically some people have to use a thunderbolt to HDMI adapter to get the Rift to work, some don't as there seems to be different revisions of the system with more updated HDMI depending on the computer. The other thing is the USB3 ports, which it has 2 USB 3 ports required, just on the right side, the left side are USB2.x, which is the other thing screwing people up. Just look for the Blue tab...

Also, are any of the other headsets worth considering? I.e. run better with lower end Video cards?

Also, are any of the other headsets worth considering? I.e. run better with lower end Video cards?

Doubtful.

Samsung Odyssey is higher resolution therefore requires more "oomph" so to speak, although it would have a smaller footprint in installation.

Personally I am afraid you would likely be pulling your hair out getting VR to run acceptably , but do post over on the Oculus forums if you can with your specs and see what kind of feedback you get there.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Well the thing is I'm only gonna use this for DCS, so I figure there's gotta be a few people running it on lower end systems, as per that other thread.

The Minimum "spec" per Occulus is a GTX960 (passmark=5805) or a AMDR9 290X (passmark 4000).

The GTX 980M comes in at 5906 (better than the absolute minimum).

The "recommended specs" are cards with passmarks in the 8000 range. So ~25-30% faster.

And there are folks with G751 laptops running rifts, so I'm reasonably sure I can get it working, how its gonna do with DCS is more my concern. I.e. how much more CPU is DCS gonna gobble. I'm currently getting framrates of 60-80's right now with middle of the road graphics settings, though I'm running training and relatively small missions, and it seems to run fine.

I've got a lappy with a desktop1080, decent CPU, 32 gigs, etc and I'm thinking your going to struggle a little bit. It's crucial that you get your frame rate up and I really kicked my settings in the teeth to make that happen. I suppose expectations are everything but you should be aware that you need to hita minimum floor or it's going to look pretty darn bad with shimmering and other artifacts adding to the low res nastiness. I'd consider trying to hang tough and see if you can get more specific input.

My specs absolute minimum for DCS VR. With tricks like overclocking cpu and gpu, oculus tray tool and project lasso i pushed 45 frames straight forward in the air and 30 FPS on the ground with not much going on in the mission. It's playable and ticking the edge of enjoyable, and hoping by every update that the performance in VR get better. Looking forward on Vulcan API and other things from ED (optimizing VR) to get it better. Meanwhile saving money for a new computersystem. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

What sort of settings gfx wise are you running boehad68?

I ran my Rift on a GTX 780. Not well and with the lowest settings but it did work. I don't recall the FPS.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

how much of a performance improvement did you get with process lasso?

Also curious.

Soon AMD is releasing NAVI 10 7nm GPU in performance range of Nvidia 2070/1080. Point is the price. Such graphics card coming out for 250$.

So if you are struggling with a budget just be patient this will be the best buy option definitely.

Budget isn't so much the issue I could drop 2k on a rig without much issue however there are other life considerations thought and more or less its a 1 year minimum maybe more before I can do an upgrade. At that point I'd like to get a compact desktop which can be top of the line I just gotta wait. I'm also hoping gen2 VR is more of a thing at that point. So, the real question for me is if I can use a rift as a stopgap with the current setup, or if I should just party on with track IR and my laptop 1080p monitor.

I've posts here and on hoggit with guys with 970/980(M) series cards running VR, but they are older posts so I'm wondering what version of DCS they were running. Thats why I was looking for "up-to-date" info.

Budget isn't so much the issue I could drop 2k on a rig without much issue however there are other life considerations thought and more or less its a 1 year minimum maybe more before I can do an upgrade. At that point I'd like to get a compact desktop which can be top of the line I just gotta wait. I'm also hoping gen2 VR is more of a thing at that point. So, the real question for me is if I can use a rift as a stopgap with the current setup, or if I should just party on with track IR and my laptop 1080p monitor.

I've posts here and on hoggit with guys with 970/980(M) series cards running VR, but they are older posts so I'm wondering what version of DCS they were running. Thats why I was looking for "up-to-date" info.

I absolutely love seeing folks get into VR.

As I mentioned earlier though, in your case I would suggest you wait till you have a better rig.

I hate seeing folks give it a try with a system that can barely if even run it, and then getting a bad taste for VR.

Don B

Well Don, I have used "bad phone quality VR" as I mentioned early on, I'm sure the rift will be better than that though. But I read you loud and clear on having a usable setup. Then again, I'm old and crusty and I don't mind crappy grafx because I grew up on way worse. My only real concern is if the framerate will be good enough. And I don't have a great point of ref being new to DCS, my current rig runs great with "higher ish" setting for most things, and I get 75+ frame rates, but I'm running really small missions, mainly training, so I don't know how much of a drop real missions have.

I've got a desktop 1080 and all the other stuff you'd expect to find in a recent high end gaming lappy and I can say for sure that I had to bitchslap my settings pretty hard to get VR up at 45 frames. It's a mark you need to make or you'll be facing more than low res, you'll have shimmer and various other artifacts.

I'm not trying to dissuade you per se, I am saying to beware of what you ask for because your simming world will never be the same after you get in that 3D cockpit. If you're like me it will be a revelation and you wont fly in 2D again outside of joystick setup and other such duties. On the other hand your VR world may be a love/hate relationship as well because of the spec and you find yourself with no real win either way. Of course I can only speak personally in this matter but I do groan when I get in the cockpit and behold all that low res going on all around me; I wouldn't want it to get much worse. Don't get me wrong, I love it, as I said VR was a revelation and I can't see myself returning to 2D flight. But man, it's a big step back from the highly detailed graphics to which we've all become accustomed.

Hi guys,

Interesting thread.

I have the absolute minimum specs....

An overclocked 2600k and a GTX 970 slightly oc.

I play a lot DCS and P3d in VR and it's ok. Not

Perfect by any means.but doable. Clear sky and pretty low settings but I have the immersion.

If you have any questions let me know.

I have the rift btw.

Cheers

Jozeff

Hi Jozeff

What are your settings and what sorts of framerates are you getting?