VR Updates - 30 NOV 18 News

DerekSpeare

Well vulkan should not be far off as last news on this said it was almost done & this was some months ago, I guess that may or may not help overall performance.

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//

Well vulkan should not be far off as last news on this said it was almost done & this was some months ago, I guess that may or may not help overall performance.

Not what the update said. The base engine was converted. But they were going to start on converting ALL the shaders to use vulkan. I believe that's where the hard work comes into play.

So it'll be a while before we see the vulkan in action.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 2 weeks later...

Wags just posted in a VR thread (elsewhere) that it is still work in progress. And that no dates of when it will be released will be made public until they are sure about the date. So it seems it's still chugging along.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Link?

Derek "BoxxMann" Speare

derekspearedesigns.com 25,000+ Gaming Enthusiasts Trust DSD Components to Perform!

i7-11700k 4.9g | RTX3080ti (finally!)| 64gb Ram | 2TB NVME PCIE4| Reverb G1 | CH Pro Throt/Fighterstick Pro | 4 DSD Boxes

Falcon XT/AT/3.0/4.0 | LB2 | DCS | LOMAC

Been Flight Simming Since 1988!

Useful VR settings and tips for DCS HERE

I’m a bit skeptical about Vulkan. In X4 Foundations spacesim which uses Vulkan, I get terrible frame rate inside a busy space dock or asteroid fields. I’m talking 40 FPS with just 2560x1080 res on an overclocked 9900k+2080Ti. Granted it is a different game but we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I’m a bit skeptical about Vulkan. In X4 Foundations spacesim which uses Vulkan, I get terrible frame rate inside a busy space dock or asteroid fields. I’m talking 40 FPS with just 2560x1080 res on an overclocked 9900k+2080Ti. Granted it is a different game but we will see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In another flightsim, there was a pretty marked uptick in FPS for 4K resolution. Just google for it. There are YT vids even.

And Vulkan isn't the magic bullet that will eliminate all HHDs. Horrible Human Decisions. But at least it will get rid of one software API bottleneck.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

• 2 months later...

VR betterment

Thanks to ED for seeing the potential VR has to offer! Today's news says this:

Virtual Reality Update

We see VR as an amazing tool to enjoy DCS World and the future of PC gaming for many. To make DCS World even better, we’ve been working on some great VR improvements that include:

• Optimized VR performance.
  • Touch control that allows direct finger interaction with cockpit controls.
  • Touch control to allow the right and left Touch controllers to act as stick and throttle when positioned correctly in the virtual cockpit and holding down the middle-finger button.

These will provide a much more immersive VR experience, particularly for those flying warbirds and other aircraft that do not require HOTAS controls.

:thumbup:

:joystick:

So where are all the improvements above?

So where are all the improvements above?

Yeah I am especially interested and have been looking forward since that bit of news to the performance improvements in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

VR Updates - 30 NOV 18 News

keep in mind the perf increase from vulkan comes from offloading all the graphics work to the developers and app rather than having dx11 do it.

this means the developers have the opportunity to optimize their code and graphics routines, and most will, but vulkan itself does not guarantee a faster app.

some show large improvements, some barely any. with time and effort, most games will fall somewhere in between.

Edited by etherbattx

You think we would have seen something by now. But, ED doesn't do anything fast. Maybe next year.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath on VR improvements or Vulkan really. I'm sure they will come, but I think it will be slooooow. I'll be pleasantly surprised if either one hits this year.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Kinda teasing that they would announce vr updates in news then not actually do it for ??? who knows how long. Is that something ED do often?

Win 10 64//4.5g i7 Kaby Lake//gtx Titan x pascal//16gb 3200ram//Asus Maximux Hero IX//Oculus Rift//