F-15 Missing a Real Life sound

FlyGuyF119

From years of being around these type of aircraft there's a sound that its missing from when the nozzle convergent segments. From when the throttles are moved from Idle to MIL etc... Heres a video link to describe what i'm talking about.

Edited by FlyGuyF119
video
  • Like 1

V/R,

Dave "FlyGuyF119"

AG-51

MSI 990FXA-GD65, AMD FX-8370 Eight Core, DDR3 16Gb Ram, MSI GTX 970, ACER S271HL, 1TB SSD, Flight Stick and Throttles X-65F

Would be great. For more detail:

The exhaust nozzle is driven by 13th stage bleed air. The "whine" is produced by the air leaving the Convergent Exhaust Nozzle Control (CENC) exhaust tube. The system is very light weight and actuates the nozzle using flex-shafts. The CENC spins the shafts like an air wrench to open or close the nozzle. On a snap acceleration or deceleration, the CENC “Whines” as the nozzle moves.

• Like 1

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

I'd like to personally thank you for

A.) bringing this up because it is indeed a very distinct sound associated with the Eagle...

And

B.) Answering a question I've had FOR YEARS!

I spent 22 years in the Air Force as a Boome Operator on KC-135s and KC-10s...numerous times I heard that noise but could never corollate it with what was causing it! Someplace I have pics of Eagles taxiing at Kadena and the sound is great.

One question...when doing the nozzle tests, are they running the engine up or manually operating the nozzle?

Edited by Sierra99
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

One question...when doing the nozzle tests, are they running the engine up or manually operating the nozzle?

The motors run in two modes: primary and secondary. When you move the engine control switch to "OFF", you turn off the motors computer, the digital electronic engine control (DEEC). When the DEEC is turned off or fails, the motors are now being controlled by the main fuel control (MFC) which is the motors secondary mode.

Anytime the engine is in sec mode, the nozzle slams shut and will not reopen until power is restored to the DEEC or the fault is cleared. In this case, placing the engine control switch back to "ON" during the DEEC test will open the nozzle.

In sec mode there is ONLY MIL power. No burner is available. And no, the motor doesn't increase in RPM.

Clear as mud?

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

The motors run in two modes: primary and secondary. When you move the engine control switch to "OFF", you turn off the motors computer, the digital electronic engine control (DEEC). When the DEEC is turned off or fails, the motors are now being controlled by the main fuel control (MFC) which is the motors secondary mode.

Anytime the engine is in sec mode, the nozzle slams shut and will not reopen until power is restored to the DEEC or the fault is cleared. In this case, placing the engine control switch back to "ON" during the DEEC test will open the nozzle.

In sec mode there is ONLY MIL power. No burner is available. And no, the motor doesn't increase in RPM.

Clear as mud?

Absolutely. During the test the nozzles move independently of the engine setting. Which was what I was thinking because when they closed there didn't seem to be an appreciable increase in noise.

Thanks for the info..

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

very distinct sound associated with the Eagle...

And PW equipped F-16s as well. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk.

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "

It's a very prominent sound heard around the Nellis flight line - considering all of the PW-equipped Aggressor Eagles & Vipers - and especially when there's a Red Flag exercise in progress. Would be VERY appropriate to add it to the Eagle - especially now that we are about to have a highly realistic version of Nellis AFB!

Curiously, there are already sound files for it in the Sounds/Effects/Aircrafts/F-15C folder - but it isn't implemented in the aircraft.

Quick question as the topic was answered, are you guys also adjusting the anti collision lights as well? They are normally always on and pulse brighter in a slow pattern not as immediate as the ones currently implemented.

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

We can slowdown pulsing, but it is FC level restriction - so they are currently blinking.

So I take it then that you cant set a dim setting to leave on and pulsate that to a higher intensity?

Know and use all the capabilities in your airplane. If you don't, sooner or later, some guy who does use them all will kick your ass.

— Dave 'Preacher' Pace, USN.

I gather this sound is only audible outside the cockpit?

Cheers

In real life - yes, only audible outside the cockpit.

If you're sitting in chocks, you can hear it just a tad. You can really hear it if the Crew Chief is still plugged in. But in flight, no.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chris

We can slowdown pulsing, but it is FC level restriction - so they are currently blinking.

so "someday" we will have a DCS-level F-15C and the lights will be pulsing

right...?

8)

i7-4790K | Asus Sabertooth Z97 MkI | 16Gb DDR3 | EVGA GTX 980 | TM Warthog | MFG Crosswind | Panasonic TC-58AX800U

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And PW equipped F-16s as well. :)

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk.

I prefer the GE; Less delta Ps to check during launch and no need for a fuel bucket upon recovery.

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down."- General Chuck Yeager, USAF, describing his first confrontation with a Me262.

JayRac3r/Lt_Mav YouTube Channel

Also your suppose to throttle up to scav the oil from the sumps then go to cut off. That would also make a small sound from the CENC. The -100's were awesome to work but damn were they a pain to trim!

Edited by FlyGuyF119
spelling error

V/R,

Dave "FlyGuyF119"

AG-51

MSI 990FXA-GD65, AMD FX-8370 Eight Core, DDR3 16Gb Ram, MSI GTX 970, ACER S271HL, 1TB SSD, Flight Stick and Throttles X-65F

Nice last time I messed with a 220 was at hush house looking for a dang air leak blowing onto the fire loops.. that was fun but lots or burnt skin at the end of it all.

V/R,

Dave "FlyGuyF119"

AG-51

From years of being around these type of aircraft there's a sound that its missing from when the nozzle convergent segments. From when the throttles are moved from Idle to MIL etc... Heres a video link to describe what i'm talking about.

There are CENC sound files but they are not audible i guess..

Really quick and very dirty mod.. I wouldn't even call a mod..:D JSGME compatible.Have fun..

May be a sound genius would be able to find a workaround.

Thanks for the video by the way..:thumbup: