SD-10 NERF?

It looks like the last update has nerfed the SD-10 quite a bit. Top speed has been reduced by about 300-400 knots when shot under "ideal conditions," and drag seems to have increased. I'm not going to lie, the SD-10 before the update did seem a bit overpowered. I mean, a top speed of 2700-2900 knots for a MRM is probably a bit too much in my humble opinion. My biggest concern though is why was none of this mentioned in the changelogs? Who is trying to be sneaky here?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nighthawk Imgur is jpegging the hell out of that image, is there a way to post in higher def or say which line is what?
I had same problem in many imgur post. I was operating my Phone (also tried desktop mode) so I thought it might be the phone which is culprit. Now I know it's Imgur's problem.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Well incidentally DCS FIGHTER PILOT it looks like you opened this thread in The right place. It seems the performance of it and eventually all missiles will be done by ED, that’s what was indicated on the Deka forums

Black Shark Den Squadron Member: We are open to new recruits, click here to check us out or apply to join! https://blacksharkden.com

E3FFFC01-584A-411C-8AFB-B02A23157EB6.jpeg

i dont know guys what i see here is driving me to think in a wrong way about ED , Nineline said before that there was some WIP with SD-10 but he never said that Deka is wrong and now they change lifetime battery and other values i am not optimastic of how ED deal with that it looks like they protect their product and dont care if 3rd part is right or wrong i dont like that i though ED is a professional deal maybe i am wrong and even Deka said that they are not wrong even after SD-10 being nerf down something is not right going on

Edited by Chiron

we want simulation, that means that Phoenix's should be scary. It also means that the sd-10 is a substantially more modern missile than the 120 Charlie. so instead of breaking a good missile why not develop a more modern missile? make the 120D, fix the SD10. both sides are happy. this is just a cop-out bow to people that want something that DCS isnt, or at least something I hope DCS isn't

Edited by Exile5121

from what i saw in some public sites and books is not compatible of what ED just did to SD-10 if and i say IF they think that 80 sec is the real time for life battery then why in public sites they are talking about this range ?

range 70-100 km ( 43-52 nm )

mach 4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PL-12

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/PL-12

https://www.ausairpower.net/APA-PLA-AAM.html

http://defenseupdates.blogspot.com/2012/11/sd-10a-and-ld-10-missiles-at-zhuhai.html

http://www.sps-aviation.com/story/?id=909

https://quwa.org/2015/08/21/jf-17-block-i-bvr/

---------------------------------------------------------------

a Book that talk about range and how this missile is Great

https://books.google.com.kw/books?id=3GZaDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA63&lpg=PA63&dq=SD-10+missile&source=bl&ots=fRYAi8h2c9&sig=ACfU3U13xUWsvaoOCsUC3x8L-PY8aqbb0A&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjjmPP65cnpAhUD_KQKHXK5BGAQ6AEwEHoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=SD-10%20missile&f=false

--------------------------------------------------------------

and if u are depending that R-77 is the source of SD-10 then your R-77 is the oldest version ever and it can't be comparable to the currnt R77 cuz i dont think we can launch R-77 from 80 km lol

https://www.airforce-technology.com/features/featurethe-worlds-most-effective-air-to-air-missiles-4167934/

i dont think that with this info and i am not saying its accurate info we are normal people dont have access to a military info but if this public info related to the real military information about SD-10

i dont think we can shoot SD-10 from that range ever and if its ( 43 - 52 nm ) then no way battery life is 80 sec and Deka was right about its 100 sec

Edited by Chiron

Hope they don't nerf and buff missiles based on MP balancing. It's a simulation, not a Rainbow six Siege for god sake.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

They do, everything is balanced in DCS, nothing is like RL, this is a game.

Well the AIM-120 updates have all been in the right direction hec just look at BMS for how far they still have to go even. With the SD10 the thrust drop and timer drop don't make much sense and it'd be nice if we could get a comment probably from chiz or yo-yo why this was made.

Edit Deka's comment on Battery life:

0gRpO4A.jpg

Edited by nighthawk2174

• ED Team

I want to clarify the situation a bit to reduce the amount of insinuations.

We investigated the SD-10 model in CFD and compared the data on the drag coefficient with what would be in the game. After which we wrote our recommendations in Deca.

Let's discuss PL-12/SD-10 zero-lift drag.

attachment.php?attachmentid=236797&stc=1&d=1590241632

Fig. 1 shows in-game drag curve (before corrections) and CFD one. As you can see here is a major error at supersonic speed - decreased zero-lift drag about 30% from CFD and high peak around transsonic.

CFD data is obtained on 3.9M elements good quality mesh using SA-turbulence model. Coeffs referenced to 0.0324 sq.m area.

We sent these results to the Deca, after which we obtain a missile correction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=236804&stc=1&d=1590242500

As you can see, the gap in the supersonic part has decreased by about half. In the transonic region, the peak has grown even more.

This means that the missiles at high altitudes and speeds continues to fly better than the CFD one.

1891744866_1PL12drag.thumb.jpg.a26c20cf4bcd62c54f5cbd8474b8c562.jpg

265355078_1PL12drag2.jpg.5dbe9750e83c66d7f1754ca893949b7f.jpg

Edited by Chizh

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

I want to clarify the situation a bit to reduce the amount of insinuations.

We investigated the SD-10 model in CFD and compared the data on the drag coefficient with what would be in the game. After which we wrote our recommendations in Deca.

Let's discuss PL-12/SD-10 zero-lift drag.

attachment.php?attachmentid=236797&stc=1&d=1590241632

Fig. 1 shows in-game drag curve (before corrections) and CFD one. As you can see here is a major error at supersonic speed - decreased zero-lift drag about 30% from CFD and high peak around transsonic.

CFD data is obtained on 3.9M elements good quality mesh using SA-turbulence model. Coeffs referenced to 0.0324 sq.m area.

We sent these results to the Deca, after which we obtain a missile correction.

attachment.php?attachmentid=236804&stc=1&d=1590242500

As you can see, the gap in the supersonic part has decreased by about half. In the transonic region, the peak has grown even more.

This means that the missiles at high altitudes and speeds continues to fly better than the CFD one.

Question:

Do AIM-120 have a similar issue right now? You can easily make them "kill" things 250+km out, only battery life prevents that. Is the 80 second battery life the limiting factor of AMRAAMs at extremely high altitude in real life or is this a current DCS limitation?

Edited by Max1mus

This doesn’t explain the biggest change being the battery life. Why was that decrease by so much, there are conflicting comments saying Deka stand by the original battery life.

Cause this decision isn’t made by CFD it was changed cause of someone’s opinion or there is updated FACTS saying it was incorrect from the start

Edited by Blinky.ben

This doesn’t explain the biggest change being the battery life. Why was that decrease by so much, there are conflicting comments saying Deka stand by the original battery life

My very uninformed guess is that at altitudes above 40.000 feet weird stuff starts happening and ED needs to use battery life to limit ranges so missiles dont reach targets at Meteor/R-37 ranges there. Im probably wrong.

Would be nice to hear it from ED since these missile changes are an ongoing process that is not logged in the changelog mostly either, which is quite annoying since it requires the community that doesnt want to get left behind to re-test/know people on discord that test and look for possible changes each update.

Edited by Max1mus

• ED Team
Question:

Do AIM-120 have a similar issue right now?

Over the months of this year, we have done a lot of research on the AIM-120B/C models in CFD. Many coefficients have been fixed, somewhere less, somewhere more. Recently, we conducted a study of reduced smoke solid propellant fuel; as a result, we slightly reduced the impulse in the game.

You can easily make them "kill" things 250+km out, only battery life prevents that. Is the 80 second battery life the limiting factor of AMRAAMs in real life or is this a current DCS limitation?

Yes. We have data about 80 second power system in real.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

• ED Team
This doesn’t explain the biggest change being the battery life. Why was that decrease by so much, there are conflicting comments saying Deka stand by the original battery life.

I have not know about work-time of the SD-10 power system.

But I suspect that it should be something like AMRAAM. It makes no sense to do longer because an inertial system produces unacceptable errors.

Cause this decision isn’t made by CFD it was changed cause of someone’s opinion or there is updated FACTS saying it was incorrect from the start

Can't understand. Sorry.

Yes. We have data about 80 second power system in real.

Why is all the talk going on about ramjet motors etc. on newer missiles when the real issue is battery life then? The (NEW, not old) DCS AIM-120C can achieve official ranges given by Meteor manufacturers without any ramjet engine or delayed motor burn of some sort. At least over 40.000 feet.

• ED Team
My very uninformed guess is that at altitudes above 40.000 feet weird stuff starts happening and ED needs to use battery life to limit ranges so missiles dont reach targets at Meteor/R-37 ranges there. Im probably wrong.

What weird stuff you mean?

• ED Team
Why is all the talk going on about ramjet motors etc. on newer missiles when the real issue is battery life then? The (NEW, not old) DCS AIM-120C can achieve official ranges given by Meteor manufacturers without any ramjet engine or delayed motor burn of some sort. At least over 40.000 feet.

Battery life is calculated on the flight range where the missile has a high probability of target intercepting. It makes no sense to make the battery longer, because the inertial missile system will not allow you to reach the interception point.

• ED Team
Speaking of missiles magic INS fix and R family update?

Yes. We have a plan overhaul R-27 family.

What weird stuff you mean?

tempMission.miz.trk

Well, like here for example. A 190km AIM-120C arrives at mach 3+ (higher speed than AIM-54 btw). And this is still a somewhat moderate altitude and speed, F-15 can go higher and faster and the target could also be higher.

Is this normal?

Edited by Max1mus