Mission 2 Terminology Question

Caster

During mission two, after the bandit turns north you are asked what your fuel state is. The two options are Low or Ladder, but the included guide doesn't define what each of these mean, and I can't find information about "fuel state Ladder" anywhere on google. So two things, can you please add this to the glossary, and what does it actually mean (I'm currently paused in the mission :D )

Fly fast and leave a pretty wreck

IIRC, 'ladder' would be a reference to a pilot's 'fuel ladder,' which is a term based around where they expect to be fuel-wise at a point during the flight versus where they actually are.

Say, for instance, you take off, and your pre-flight planning indicates you should hit waypoint 2 with 9000 lbs of gas, waypoint 3 with 7000 lbs, and so on. This planning is your 'fuel ladder.'

Then, when you are flying, you look at your gas at waypoint 2 and see you've got 9300 lbs. At this point you are 'above ladder,' or in the vernacular, 300 lbs 'fat.' Now say you plug burner for some reason, and hit waypoint 3 but now your gas is at 5000 lb. You are now 'below ladder,' and being 2000 lbs below ladder it's probably fair to say you are 'low' as well.

Not sure how this relates to brevity codes, but that's how I'd treat it in the campaign. A 'ladder' call would mean you are basically 'on schedule' with fuel. 'Low' means you've burned too much and are starting to think about a bingo or heading to a tanker.

IIRC, 'ladder' would be a reference to a pilot's 'fuel ladder,' which is a term based around where they expect to be fuel-wise at a point during the flight versus where they actually are.

Say, for instance, you take off, and your pre-flight planning indicates you should hit waypoint 2 with 9000 lbs of gas, waypoint 3 with 7000 lbs, and so on. This planning is your 'fuel ladder.'

Then, when you are flying, you look at your gas at waypoint 2 and see you've got 9300 lbs. At this point you are 'above ladder,' or in the vernacular, 300 lbs 'fat.' Now say you plug burner for some reason, and hit waypoint 3 but now your gas is at 5000 lb. You are now 'below ladder,' and being 2000 lbs below ladder it's probably fair to say you are 'low' as well.

Not sure how this relates to brevity codes, but that's how I'd treat it in the campaign. A 'ladder' call would mean you are basically 'on schedule' with fuel. 'Low' means you've burned too much and are starting to think about a bingo or heading to a tanker.

This, very good explanation! thanks!

ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

• 6 months later...

Thanks for explaining...

And becasue as simulation we want to make things more realistic, is there a way to know that pre-planning fuel at waypoints? In the Airliners we can have the briefing with that information, but I never saw that in DCS in any plane (I believe...)