F/A-18C Hornet LCD MDIs and grayscale FLIR/MAV/AG radar picture

DCS still reads whatever is still in the directory, apparently. I use OVGME and I haven't run into any issues like that. Let me know how it goes.

I tried to use ovg but either mine is not setup correctly anymore or i was doing it wrong because it kept telling me that your zip file was not a valid archive.

But i am about to go in game now so will let you know.

I tried to use ovg but either mine is not setup correctly anymore or i was doing it wrong because it kept telling me that your zip file was not a valid archive.

But i am about to go in game now so will let you know.

My zip file just contains the needed files, it's not OVGME ready. If you want to use it with OVGME, copy the original zip file with all the textures, put my DDS files in there and use that. You also need to make a separate filepath for the materials.lua file, since it goes to a different directory.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Tried it again, made a copy, pulled it completely out to my desk top. still no luck...all black.

i am starting to think that maybe its a conflict with displaysReadablityModifiedV2.5 mod. i just remembered that i have that mod installed for VR.

Tried it again, made a copy, pulled it completely out to my desk top. still no luck...all black.

i am starting to think that maybe its a conflict with displaysReadablityModifiedV2.5 mod. i just remembered that i have that mod installed for VR.

Possibly. I don't know man, this looks very weird. I can't reproduce it at all.

After installation, you should only have one zip file in your \Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\ folder, that contains the normal textures, except for the ones replaced or added by me.

Have you tried without the materials.lua file?

What files does the VR readability mod changes?

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys - Does anyone have a JSGME copy of this. I have tried backing up a copy off my game drive & adding the 4 files to the Zip file, I see the 4 files added & replaced the original 4. But I still get the stock MFDs & kind of at a lost as to how next to fix this to get the LCD screens.

Kindly let me know if you can help!

Hey Guys - Does anyone have a JSGME copy of this. I have tried backing up a copy off my game drive & adding the 4 files to the Zip file, I see the 4 files added & replaced the original 4. But I still get the stock MFDs & kind of at a lost as to how next to fix this to get the LCD screens.

Kindly let me know if you can help!

Hey there. I actually have it running with OVGME on my PC, but uploading it as JSGME/OVGME compatible would require me to upload the entire texture zip, which is around 180(?)MB and my upload speed is really bad. It would take hours and likely fail halfway (yeah, it's that bad).

What I can suggest is that we talk on Discord or in PMs and I can walk you through it, if you'd like.

Otherwise, for now, I can expand on the instructions:

1) Go to \DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\ and make a backup copy of FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip, in order to be able to switch to the original textures. Place the backup folder somewhere else, for safekeeping, don't keep it in the original directory.

2) Open FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip (not the copy you made for safekeeping, the one in \DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\) and drop the four DDS files in there. Replace when prompted. You'll have the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip in the correct file path, with all original files present, except for the three of that are replaced by mine and one new file, not present originally.

3) Backup and replace the materials.lua file, located in \DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\.

2*) If you want to use it with JSGME/OVGME, you can instead replace the DDS files in the copied FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and use it, after you place it in the appropriate file structure, of course (\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\).

3*) Same for the materials.lua, place it in the appropriate file structure (\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\) and it can be used with JSGME/OVGME.

If you still can't make it work, I'd be happy to help you through it, either through PMs or by talking on Discord, just send me a PM :).

Edited by Harker

-

@ =4c=Nikola & Harker - I still get the green MFD Screens.

I have followed the instructions to the T as per above direct to the DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip, where I made a copy, backed it up off my C Drive & also made a JSGME copy also. I see the 4 new files om the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip file.

However when I start DCS, I still get the stock Vanilla MFDs, not the LCDs as per the Mod. This one is super frustrating for me, I am totally lost as to why this is not working. Arrgh!

@ =4c=Nikola & Harker - I still get the green MFD Screens.

I have followed the instructions to the T as per above direct to the DCS\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Textures\FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip, where I made a copy, backed it up off my C Drive & also made a JSGME copy also. I see the 4 new files om the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip file.

However when I start DCS, I still get the stock Vanilla MFDs, not the LCDs as per the Mod. This one is super frustrating for me, I am totally lost as to why this is not working. Arrgh!

I'm sure it's a small overlooked step. Do you have Discord? I can talk around 19.00 UTC and after.

You're placing my files in the zip file that remains in the DCS installation directory, right?

-

Ok Guys, I got it to work, I was running F/A-18C HORNET pit V1.41 mod by Bummer, so I took the 4 files & added them to /Mods/aircraft/FA-18C/Liveries/Cockpit_F-18C & it works like a charm.

Thank you. Any one needs help, feel free to ask me, it works passes IC.

Ah, I see, Bummer's mod was probably overwriting mine. If you replace the same files in his mod with mine, you'll get his cockpit with my screens (which is pretty close to what I use myself, with some extra personal touches).

I'm curious, do you pass IC even if you use my custom file, the one about the display reflections? Should be something like cpt-displays-refl_RoughMet. I'm asking because I created this file from scratch, it wasn't part of the original file structure. Do you mind posting a screenshot that shows the screen reflections? Either using the sun or the cockpit flashlight should do it.

Anyway, happy you got it working :)

-

• 3 months later...

FYI, the new Open Beta patch (2.5.6) breaks this mod, at least as far as it making the MFDs look like clean black LCDs. The AMPCD screen is untouched, interestingly, but now the left and right DDIs have these weird baked-in cockpit reflections and green undertone that's apparent whenever they're in direct sunlight.

FYI, the new Open Beta patch (2.5.6) breaks this mod, at least as far as it making the MFDs look like clean black LCDs. The AMPCD screen is untouched, interestingly, but now the left and right DDIs have these weird baked-in cockpit reflections and green undertone that's apparent whenever they're in direct sunlight.

Thanks for the heads up. It seems that since 2.5.6, simply placing files in a folder with the same name as the zip folder does not override the original ones, only additional files are used, so, if I'm not mistaken, you're still seeing my custom Roughmet (reflection effect) on the DDIs.

For the mod to work correctly, it'll have to use the original installation method of taking the files contained in the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES folder and placing them inside the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip, overwriting the originals. Make a backup of the original FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and store it somewhere safe.

You can still convert the mod to be used via a mod manager, by going into the mod folder and replacing the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES folder (that only contains my textures) with FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip (that contains my textures, plus all of the rest of the Hornet's default textures). The files not present in FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES should still work the same as before.

I'll update the mod description with the new instructions.

-

Thanks for the heads up. It seems that since 2.5.6, simply placing files in a folder with the same name as the zip folder does not override the original ones, only additional files are used, so, if I'm not mistaken, you're still seeing my custom Roughmet (reflection effect) on the DDIs.

For the mod to work correctly, it'll have to use the original installation method of taking the files contained in the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES folder and placing them inside the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip, overwriting the originals. Make a backup of the original FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip and store it somewhere safe.

You can still convert the mod to be used via a mod manager, by going into the mod folder and replacing the FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES folder (that only contains my textures) with FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES.zip (that contains my textures, plus all of the rest of the Hornet's default textures). The files not present in FA-18C-CPT-TEXTURES should still work the same as before.

I'll update the mod description with the new instructions.

Thanks, that solved it.

• 2 months later...
Does this mod work with 2.5.6? When i try to install the mod the DDI's are black and white but other cockpit textures are black and i cant see through the canopy.
It works, I updated the description with new instructions for 2.5.6. Make sure you follow the them carefully, the OVGME/JSGME drop-in method doesn't work anymore right off the bat, because having a folder with the same name and location as the zip file doesn't work since 2.5.6.

Can you please describe your steps one by one?

-

It works, I updated the description with new instructions for 2.5.6. Make sure you follow the them carefully, the OVGME/JSGME drop-in method doesn't work anymore right off the bat, because having a folder with the same name and location as the zip file doesn't work since 2.5.6.

Can you please describe your steps one by one?

Nevermind, found my problem. The planes texture file was compressed and i tried to extract it and then compressing it again but that somehow broke the file. Ended up not compressing it after extracting.

Nevermind, found my problem. The planes texture file was compressed and i tried to extract it and then compressing it again but that somehow broke the file. Ended up not compressing it after extracting.
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

-

Latest patch borked this mod. I followed your instructions for OVGME to the letter and when you load the F/A-18, you get the green digital camo texture of death all over the place. It happens whether you have the new Special options for baked-in reflections set to None or Static. I suspect it has something to do with ED's recent fix for the F/A-18's cockpit lighting (RWR buttons, flap and gear indicators were super dark prior to the latest patch).

Edited by Chuck_Henry

Latest patch borked this mod. I followed your instructions for OVGME to the letter and when you load the F/A-18, you get the green digital camo texture of death all over the place. It happens whether you have the new Special options for baked-in reflections set to None or Static. I suspect it has something to do with ED's recent fix for the F/A-18's cockpit lighting (RWR buttons, flap and gear indicators were super dark prior to the latest patch).

Hey there. There should be no issue with the mod. The only relevant change ED made is when they introduced the clear textures without static reflections. The new relevant texture is named "f18c_cpt-displayglass_cl_refl.dds". The old, default texture (the one I'm replacing) is still named "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl.dds", so there's no change there. Just make sure to not choose the Clear canopy option.

One thing that you may want to try. Since I'm adding a new custom Roughmet texture, we have the default texture with an additional Roughmet texture, while the "cl" variant does not have a Roughmet texture. It could be that this is what's causing the problem in your case. Just make a copy of "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_RoughMet.tga", rename it to "f18c_cpt-displayglass_cl_refl_RoughMet.tga" and place it in the zip, so now both options have the same amount of files.

Alternatively, could it be what Tumev posted above?

Let me know how it goes.

-

Hey there. There should be no issue with the mod. The only relevant change ED made is when they introduced the clear textures without static reflections. The new relevant texture is named "f18c_cpt-displayglass_cl_refl.dds". The old, default texture (the one I'm replacing) is still named "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl.dds", so there's no change there. Just make sure to not choose the Clear canopy option.

One thing that you may want to try. Since I'm adding a new custom Roughmet texture, we have the default texture with an additional Roughmet texture, while the "cl" variant does not have a Roughmet texture. It could be that this is what's causing the problem in your case. Just make a copy of "f18c_cpt-displayglass_refl_RoughMet.tga", rename it to "f18c_cpt-displayglass_cl_refl_RoughMet.tga" and place it in the zip, so now both options have the same amount of files.

Alternatively, could it be what Tumev posted above?

Let me know how it goes.

Turns out it was the compression issue. I thought I had set 7zip to not compress files at all, but it was in fact doing so. The mod is now twice as large but it works just fine now. Cheers!

Turns out it was the compression issue. I thought I had set 7zip to not compress files at all, but it was in fact doing so. The mod is now twice as large but it works just fine now. Cheers!
Seeing as it's apparently an issue, I'll add it to the description, that a simple drag and drop from zip to zip is the safest way. Which is weird, because I'm unzipping and then placing it back in, all the time on my PC.

Still, glad it's fixed!

-

How do I modify the files so they only the AMPCD is updated? Basically keep the top 2 CRTs unmodified, but update the AMPCD?

I like the legacy aspect of the F/A-18, but as i fly VR the AMPCD is completely useless. Your mod makes it readable. I think this way it works be a compromise.

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11