HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I have 1903 installed but no KB4507453 so I downloaded KB4507453 and tried to install it, but an error pops up “this update is not available for your system”...

Anybody has any ideas ?

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

I have 1903 installed but no KB4507453 so I downloaded KB4507453 and tried to install it, but an error pops up “this update is not available for your system”...

Anybody has any ideas ?

Update KB4507453 for Windows 10 version 1903

Microsoft has announced KB4507453 in the Windows support site, and it’s referred as “July 9, 2019—KB4507453 (OS Build 18362.239)” If you’re already running the Windows 10 May 2019 Update on your device, this update will address these problems:

Addresses an issue that may cause BitLocker to go into recovery mode if BitLocker is being provisioned at the same time as updates are being installed.

Fixes a problem that may cause Mixed Reality users to see a tilted world after connecting their headsets.

Addresses visual quality issues some users may have seen with Windows Mixed Reality (WMR) headsets and Steam VR content.

Security updates to Windows Wireless Networking, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows Server, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Kernel, Microsoft HoloLens, Internet Explorer, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Virtualization, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Microsoft Edge, and Windows Cryptography.

What build 1903 do you have? 1903 18362.267 is the newest July 26 2019 one and may already include KB4507453.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Anybody has any ideas ?

I have the same error. I updated to 1903 yesterday before installing the reverb. I think naruto is right and it may already be included in the 1903 build we got.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

So Follow-on-thoughts and review.

I'm coming to this from a CV1. And compared to that there are some serious differences.

Build quality.

I'd say its generally on par with the CV1 with the notable exception of the headphones, these seem very flimsy and poorly designed. Luckily they are detachable, and you have a 3.5mm jack for your own solution, or possibly a "upgrade" from the vendor at some point. The plus side is if they break you just swap em out. The only other thing is the cable, that I immediately zip-tied and my reverb came with a little "clip" for connector to hold it together better. After a few hours use, no issues noted.

Visuals

Compared to the rift CV1 the first and immediate difference is the clarity. Its a huge upgrade. Plenty of people have reviewed it so I'm not going spend much time on it. But more or less its in the same ballpark as looking/reading on my 1080p monitor.

Color: Yup, the dynamic range of color/saturation is nowhere near as good as the rift/OLED panels, its not bad but everything is noticeably flat(er) and I had to re-adjust my gamma settings.

SDE: Yeah its there if you really really look for it. Non issue in Game

Mura: Same deal, I can see it against a perfectly white background, Total non issue in game

FOV: This does seem smaller than the rift and I get more a scuba mask feel than I have in the rift as well, I'm sure I'll get used to it in another day.

Lens/distortion/Aberration: The caveat on the clarity is this, the headset is VERY clear dead center (zone1) there starts to be a noticeable increase in blurriness in zone 2, and zone 3 (outer most zone/peripheral) is pretty badly blurred. This isn't really that different than the rift IMO, except I think its more noticeable because the center is sooo darn clear.

For me there is also a rather distracting chromatic abberation on the outer most zones as well (either blue or brownish tinge). It is NOT present in zone 1, and only slightly in zone 2. You mainly notice it looking at strongly contrasted linear objects (the edge of the main screen in DCS, white wall edges in the Windows house, or the edges of panels in the steamVR house) Its not a huge issue when flying in DCS, but it can pop up on airfields when looking at hangers out of the corner of your eye. That being said its more of an annoyance rather than a deal breaker and I'm sure I'll get used to it quickly. Again, its not present in the majority of view, just edges. Also as a side note, I don't see this in Elite Dangerous at all, not sure why, maybe its too "busy" for me to notice.

I also think this may be related to non-perfect IPD/cheaped out lenses. I'd be curious on other peoples input. I "think" my IPD is about 66-67.

"visual weirdness" So when loading DCS the load screens often flicker and are whacky. I experienced different versions of this with the rift. Its a non-issue IMO, but new users might be taken aback by it. Also, at one point when flying online in a thunderstorm there would be these weird white beams (not the lightning) that would randomly appear. But I think this is a DCS issue and not the Reverb as I only saw it online the one time.

Tracking:

I did have a bit of stuttering at one point in the cliff house, but it rapidly went away. Never had any issues in actual DCS. The only other tracking issue has to do with the mouse thing detailed below.

Controllers Yeah, nowhere near as nice as the occulus controllers in terms of ergo's or functionality. But I basically never really plan to use them as all my VR games are sims.

Performance:

Honestly this had me really worried coming from the Rift which has Waaay less pixels to push. At the end of the day it doesn't seem to be an issue at all with the limited testing I've done. On one online server I saw it dip into the 30's but generally 45 is about as low as it goes. Offline on the nevada map on tanking practice I saw my frame rates as high as the 70's and 80's. This is with generally fairly demanding graphics settings, and using MSAAx2 and either rather high in DCS PD settings (1.8 on the first try) or now PD1.0 and using 180% on steam VR. I have done almost nothing to optimize my frame rates and it runs as good or better than my rift at mostly the same settings on my 2080ti. In fact I'm considering turning things up, which sounds insane but I think have the headroom.

WMR vs Occulus:

This was the other thing I worried about. But if anything I'd say setting up the WMR was easier than the rift. Getting DCS running was a matter of DLing WMR for SteamVR and telling DCS to run. Aside from being too dumb to go through the controller tutorial (had me stumped for about 5 minutes as to what it wanted me to do)

The only real annoyance with WMR is the fact the mouse can "pop out" of the DCS window. It mainly does this if I'm looking down and off to one side (RWR volume knob on the hornet for example). Not sure why its happening, but it does and its annoying since once the mouse is out of the window all the flight controls (stick/etc) cease to work until you pop-back in. I've mapped win-Y into voice attack to see if this helps.

Overall Verdict:

Is it worth it? At the end of the day, the clarity improvement is amazing and IMO pretty much makes the other points raised into the nit-pick category. Just having easily readable gagues/text/MPCD's and not having SDE is a huge bonus coming from the rift from the immersion and flying standpoint. I can now actually spot planes without labels. For me the biggest issues are the weird chromatic aberration, blurriness in zones 2/3 and the mouse popping out of the window thing. Which really at the end of the day mostly fall on the annoying scale, and hopefully at least the mouse thing can be fixed.

Is it Gen2 VR?

This is my personal opinion, but I'd say yes, its the first real Gen2 VR headset out there using my personal old metric of gen2 being near ~30ppd. It seems very close to that based on 30ppd images I've seen. That being said it does have its problems with the lens system, and the software, but they are minor in comparison.

I think this is the first Gen2 headset and I think subsequent headsets (like the Ojo) will improve on it. Also, if samsung can make an RGB oled display with the same PPD and couple it to good quality optics that don't blur at the edges and don't have chromatic abberation, thats gonna be the headset everyone is looking for.

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I have the same error. I updated to 1903 yesterday before installing the reverb. I think naruto is right and it may already be included in the 1903 build we got.

It seems to be, since you have that great clarity on your Reverb. I’ll get mine next week, hope its good!

MSI Z170A Titanium Edition mobo + 6700K CPU

32 GB G.Skill TridentZ memory 3200 MHz

Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB SSD

Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD (3 GB/s) for DCS and +.

HP ZR24W Monitor, EVGA GTX 1080ti FE

Thrustmaster Warthog, MFG CrossWind rudder...

and Oculus Rift CV1.

It seems to be, since you have that great clarity on your Reverb. I’ll get mine next week, hope its good!

I think eagle mentioned that if you don't have the steamVR res will start off as showing 100% as 1440 or something like that. Mine wasn't exactly 2160 but it was within a few % of that. I just wish there was a software fix for the achromatic abberation I'm seeing.

There is an option in DCS VR menu to restrict the mouse cursor to DCS window.

Yeah thats on. It still does it in certain positions. I think its basically when I'm looking/clicking "low" in the scene and its somehow able to interact with the taskbar. Never had the issue with the rift. I also have full screen checked and it doesn't use the full screen.

Yeah thats on. It still does it in certain positions. I think its basically when I'm looking/clicking "low" in the scene and its somehow able to interact with the taskbar. Never had the issue with the rift. I also have full screen checked and it doesn't use the full screen.

This is not restricted to the Reverb. There have been several threads on this subject for people who use other HMDs, like me on my Vive Pro!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Do you press alt+enter after launching dcs in VR? It makes the app go full screen so the mouse doesn't wonder off the VR interface.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Do you press alt+enter after launching dcs in VR? It makes the app go full screen so the mouse doesn't wonder off the VR interface.

That doesn't solve the issue unfortuantely. It happens when trying to click on something that is at the back of the cockpit to the left or right. Stuff on the desktop gets activated at times without knowing it until you take off the VR headset!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I'm coming to this from a CV1. And compared to that there are some serious differences.

Performance:

Honestly this had me really worried coming from the Rift which has Waaay less pixels to push. At the end of the day it doesn't seem to be an issue at all with the limited testing I've done. On one online server I saw it dip into the 30's but generally 45 is about as low as it goes. Offline on the nevada map on tanking practice I saw my frame rates as high as the 70's and 80's. This is with generally fairly demanding graphics settings, and using MSAAx2 and either rather high in DCS PD settings (1.8 on the first try) or now PD1.0 and using 180% on steam VR. I have done almost nothing to optimize my frame rates and it runs as good or better than my rift at mostly the same settings on my 2080ti. In fact I'm considering turning things up, which sounds insane but I think have the headroom.

What is the point of running at 180% on SteamVR ? ie. I run DCS PD 1 and 100%. Looks great

This is not restricted to the Reverb. There have been several threads on this subject for people who use other HMDs, like me on my Vive Pro!

And in those threads is there a solution?

Havent done that. I'll try it.

Just got my second Reverb and I have 1903 with latest July 26 build and I also have to use 188% Steam VR to get a resolution 2204 x 2160. My new Reverb also came with cable clip too and boy oh boy the clarity is awesome. My Experience for number two is night and day from my first Reverb that had issues 10 seconds in.

What is the point of running at 180% on SteamVR ? ie. I run DCS PD 1 and 100%. Looks great

I did try it at PD1.0 and 108% (native res) it looked good, but compared to when I was running 1.8PD some of the shadows had jaggies as did some other things. Given that "Spotting" gets borked when you run higher PD I elected to try it with the steam setting (not an option with occulus). I think 180% might give you something like 1.4 PD.

Anyhow, it looks good at PD1.0/100% it looks better at PD1.0/180% and I have no performance problems. I'll probably start tweaking around I'll probably play with shadows/lighting stuff to see if I can improve that next.

I'll be tweaking mine tonight as well ....Last night went well ....so far so good.

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I took it to mean a total recall/replacement was possible but I wouldn't count on it without an official announcement. HP does seem solidly behind the product so a recall would be easier than trying to contact every owner through the retailers and distributors. Valve basically did that on the Index controllers and I think it would help confidence in the Reverb.

I hope this is the case, I'd trade mine in for a replacement, but I don't want to send it in and then just sit and wait for the new one's to arrive

I did try it at PD1.0 and 108% (native res) it looked good, but compared to when I was running 1.8PD some of the shadows had jaggies as did some other things. Given that "Spotting" gets borked when you run higher PD I elected to try it with the steam setting (not an option with occulus). I think 180% might give you something like 1.4 PD.

Anyhow, it looks good at PD1.0/100% it looks better at PD1.0/180% and I have no performance problems. I'll probably start tweaking around I'll probably play with shadows/lighting stuff to see if I can improve that next.

ok, I will try as well. I don't get much jaggies with MSAA 2x on

(I kept mine down to 100-108 as I didn't notice much difference and figured I was just causing more overhead)

ok, I will try as well. I don't get much jaggies with MSAA 2x on

(I kept mine down to 100-108 as I didn't notice much difference and figured I was just causing more overhead)

The only reason I even tried it was that when I first started DCS it had my old rift settings saved and it ran fine at 1.8PD, which shocked the hell out of me. So when I turned it down to 1.0 I noticed the difference, its not huge, but its there. Then I decided to use steam for the aforementioned spotting reasons.

With Oculus there is Debug Tool to increase super sampling without using DCS PD. I still use it with Rift S.

Well that woulda been good to know a few months back :thumbup:

Just got my second Reverb and I have 1903 with latest July 26 build and I also have to use 188% Steam VR to get a resolution 2204 x 2160. My new Reverb also came with cable clip too and boy oh boy the clarity is awesome. My Experience for number two is night and day from my first Reverb that had issues 10 seconds in.
Are you running mixed reality for steamvr beta? It was only when I changed from standard to beta I got the new resolutions (74%=2160x something close)

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I'm coming to this from a CV1. And compared to that there are some serious differences. ...

...Overall Verdict:

Is it worth it? At the end of the day, the clarity improvement is amazing and IMO pretty much makes the other points raised into the nit-pick category. Just having easily readable gagues/text/MPCD's and not having SDE is a huge bonus coming from the rift from the immersion and flying standpoint. I can now actually spot planes without labels. For me the biggest issues are the weird chromatic aberration, blurriness in zones 2/3 and the mouse popping out of the window thing. Which really at the end of the day mostly fall on the annoying scale, and hopefully at least the mouse thing can be fixed.

Is it Gen2 VR?

This is my personal opinion, but I'd say yes, its the first real Gen2 VR headset out there using my personal old metric of gen2 being near ~30ppd. It seems very close to that based on 30ppd images I've seen. That being said it does have its problems with the lens system, and the software, but they are minor in comparison.

I think this is the first Gen2 headset and I think subsequent headsets (like the Ojo) will improve on it. Also, if samsung can make an RGB oled display with the same PPD and couple it to good quality optics that don't blur at the edges and don't have chromatic abberation, thats gonna be the headset everyone is looking for.

Amen! :thumbup:

:pilotfly: