Agm65F

Hiddenxreaper

I’m a little confused on the mini update wags said TRACK WHT/BLK should only toggle symbology, NOT seeker polarity. In addition to symbology color, it also will set the seeker to bias locking of white point targets (WHT) or black (BLK). TRACK does NOT indicate seeker tracking state.

What does setting the seeker bias locking white or black point targets mean?

I believe this means that if your target is cold, it should, in theory display as black; if your target is hot, it should display as white. The TRACK WHT/BLK should change whether your seeker will lock a cold target or hot target. At least that's how I understand it. Someone else can probably tell you more with better accuracy.

If the crosshairs are white, the seeker should attempt to lock onto a white-against-black (hot-against-cold) contrast, if the crosshairs are black, the seeker should attempt to lock onto a black-against-white (cold-against-hot) contrast. At least that's how it should operate in reality, we may not see the functionality perform as such until the new IR rendering system comes into play.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

If the crosshairs are white, the seeker should attempt to lock onto a white-against-black (hot-against-cold) contrast, if the crosshairs are black, the seeker should attempt to lock onto a black-against-white (cold-against-hot) contrast. At least that's how it should operate in reality, we may not see the functionality perform as such until the new IR rendering system comes into play.

This!

thank you, makes sense!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

If I take a car that's been in an air conditioned showroom and roll it out onto a blacktop that's been baking in the florida sun for 7 hours and look at it with a FLIR camera I will see that the blacktop, aka the background, is much warmer than the car.

This is a gross oversimplification of the physics of IR imaging but it illustrates the concept. The background is not always colder than your target of interest.