Foxx Hotas deskmount review

I finally received my deskmounts today , after 7+ weeks . I have to say , they are worth the wait . Everything about them , from design to execution to packaging , bespeaks a dedication to delivering a quality product . Even the supplied ball-end hex key is of a high grade , instead of the throw-away type one might reasonably expect . Each sub-assembly came individually bagged to prevent marring in transit .

The uprights come pre-assembled , and include a very heavy industrial-grade toggle clamp , rather more robust than i was expecting . I double-checked the bolt torque on the sub-assemblies and found them all tightened to spec .

The only assembly left to the customer is to bolt the mounting plate sub-assembly to the upright , using the supplied hex key , and installing the bottom upright end plate using a pair of plastic push-pins . The two mounts took less than 5 minutes to assemble in total .

Coarse adjustment of the clamping force is done via sliding the toggle plate into position and tightening the two mounting bolts . Fine adjustment is made possible by the use of a threaded and lock-nutted stud that mounts the lower clamp jaw . I left about 1/8" of the thread visible , slid the toggle mount into a position from which i could not lock the toggle , and then screwed the jaw down until i could lock the toggle and clamp the desk very securely . This leaves the stud with a minimum protrusion , allowing maximum security and stability . The installation and adjustment of both mounts totalled less than 10 minutes , with the end result being very sturdy mounts .

Vertical adjustment of the mounting plate is easily done from a blind sitting position , as the channels guide the hex-key into the screw very effectively . I do recommend keeping your finger-tips on the bosses when loosened to keep them from sliding out of the horizontal rail . If they do , they won't fall past the vertical upright end-plate , but you may then have to further loosen the screw to re-install them . The adjustment takes about a minute per mount .

On Foxx's recommendation , i ordered the stock mounting plate with a view to allowing upgrading the Hotas if i elect to do so . For the CH hotas , this means mounting with velcro supplied by Foxx . I don't know where he sourced the stuff , but that is the heaviest , most industrial/aerospace grade velcro i have ever seen , and with a powerful adhesive .

I am very happy with the results , having at last a center-mounted stick , and being enabled to use my right-hand trackball on the right for the first time :) And the deskmounts look so much better than the cobbled-up sidestick

mess that previously drew frowns from the wife !

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I should add that the deskmounts allowed me to exactly replicate the virtual cockpit stick and throttle positions of the Hornet . This , in combination with the pilots' hand , arm and leg movements give an almost eerie level of VR immersion . I don't know what my reaction would be if a piece of shrapnel struck the virtual pilot in the leg :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

They are gtg.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the detailed review!

Hang in there Tronorail, I'm working diligently to get every order out as soon as I possibly can :)

Hey, I didn’t mean to come off like I was calling you out or anything. I just wanted to share my excitement. I’m sorry that it seemed like I was complaining. :)

Edited by Tronorail

All good ! I did not read complaining (and surely Foxx didn't either) , and I understand the excitement :) I'm confident you be as pleased as i with the end result !

Edited by Svsmokey

Received my Foxx mounts yesterday. Unfortunately it came missing a the base plate for my TM Hotas stick, and a few gashes on the sides of the base plates. Mounts were wrapped in just plastic bags. Had not for the missing plate and gashes, I would agree with your assessment.

Ouch ! Very sorry to hear that !