RIO feature proposal and bug list

captain_dalan

Hey guys, i have this idea. We all know Jester is in early access and will get built upon as time goes by and user (our) feedback comes along. So why don't we make this one thread (a moderator can stick it if appropriate) where we all put in our feedback from our experiences so far and possible features that we'd like to see in our favorite AI RIO (sorry Goose, but we gotta let you go :smilewink::music_whistling: ).

Personally i haven't flown enough to have any remarks or serious critiques of Jester up to this point (i mostly flew a few free flights, cold starts and a bit of BFM, and Jester seams to handle those activities nicely), but i see both here in different threads and on FB groups and comments that people have experienced Jester under performing in BVR or high risk situations.

I hope we can gather enough feedback to provide the guys from Heetblur all the help they can get in making Jester a more effective and immersive companion and backseater! :thumbup:

So....fire away! What are you impressions of Jester up to this point and what would you like too see changed or implemented!!! :pilotfly:

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I'm a bit confused. Is this thread supposed to be about Jester or the RIO pit? :dunno:

I can't say anything about Jester, but I would have a lot to say about the RIO, because I have flown the Tomcat exclusively as a RIO so far. If this is just about Jester I would recommend another thread title, because when I saw this thread I expected it to be about the RIO pit, not about Jester.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm a bit confused. Is this thread supposed to be about Jester or the RIO pit? :dunno:

I can't say anything about Jester, but I would have a lot to say about the RIO, because I have flown the Tomcat exclusively as a RIO so far. If this is just about Jester I would recommend another thread title, because when I saw this thread I expected it to be about the RIO pit, not about Jester.

That's.....actually a good point. Do i need to contact a moderator?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

That's.....actually a good point. Do i need to contact a moderator?

That would be necessary to change the thread titile. But it would already be helpful if you would say here what the topic is supposed to be: the RIO pit or Jester AI?

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

That would be necessary to change the thread titile. But it would already be helpful if you would say here what the topic is supposed to be: the RIO pit or Jester AI?

It's definitely for the Jester AI :thumbup:

BTW, just tried contacting NineLine, but for some reason i can't message him :(

I'd start a new thread, but i don't want to clog an already overflowing forum !

Now that you finally stated what this thread is supposed to be about, it should be alright ;)

I'm out here though, because I have no experience with Jester :pilotfly:

Edit: You can still edit the first post and make it clear there what this thread is about.

Tornado3 small.jpg

One think that's really bothering me, right now, flying in MP, with all human and AI comms going on, is the impossibility of asking Jester to lower the volume of V/UHF radio and RWR... I know, a minor issue, but sometimes that makes really hard to understand communications and building a good SA in general (beside being really annoying for the ears...)

One think that's really bothering me, right now, flying in MP, with all human and AI comms going on, is the impossibility of asking Jester to lower the volume of V/UHF radio and RWR... I know, a minor issue, but sometimes that makes really hard to understand communications and building a good SA in general (beside being really annoying for the ears...)

Uhm, he can't. The knobs for that are in the pilots cockpit: http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#volume-tacan-command-panel

- ALR-67 = RWR

- AN/ARC-182= RIO V/UHF radio

Tornado3 small.jpg

After reading some of the threads originated in the last several days, let me add what seams to be a good idea.

- A picture request (or as that other thread called it, Talk to me Goose) feature. That is a short command that would tell Jester to give use a quick update on the picture!

In watching people play with live RIO's on Youtube, one of the useful things they do, that Jester does not, is airspeed call outs during engagement, because it's not on the HUD and you tend to be focused on the other plane, I'd find this extremely valuable have.

F-14B, F-16, F-18C, A-10C, F-5E, F-86, FC3, BF-109, FW-190, P-51, Spitfire, UH-1,AJS-37 Viggen, MIG-15, MIG-19, MIG-21, AV-8B Harrier, P-47D

Persian Gulf, Caucuses, NTTR, Normandy, The Channel, Syria

Combined Arms, WWII Assets,Super Carrier

TM Warthog, Virpil VFX,BuddyFox UFC, Saitek Pro Flight quadrant & Switch Panel, Odyssey+ VR, Jet Pad w/ SSA, Voice Attack w/Viacom Pro

GeForce RTX2080TI OC, Intel Core i7-7700K 4.5Ghz, 64GB DDR4, Dedicated 1TB SSD

In watching people play with live RIO's on Youtube, one of the useful things they do, that Jester does not, is airspeed call outs during engagement, because it's not on the HUD and you tend to be focused on the other plane, I'd find this extremely valuable have.

That sounds like a pretty neat feature as well! :thumbup:

Not sure if this would be the right thread to ask, however I find Jester sometimes hard to understand - partly due to the fact he sounds like he's in a very empty room that creates an "echo" effect. I'm using Track IR with headphones modeled after the real life David Clark headsets, my sound is set to "stereo" (without headsets my system has 5.1), with no "special effects" like livingroom or concert hall - all disabled.

Is what I hear simply the way it was recorded. I'm doubting it sounds that way in real life.

Here is another one. A radar gimbal limit warning. It would be useful if Jester would warn us if we are close (or how close we are) to reaching the radar gimbal limits while cranking.

The wheel needs a redesign for consistency. Depending on the situation, certain commands change their position on the wheel. I also think the sensitivity governing how far we have to look in a certain direction to indicate an option (with TrackIR) should be adjustable, I find I have to look too far for my preference.

As far as something more resembling a bug, the option to drop tanks should always be there. I have had empty tanks and no option to drop them. I have dropped them myself from the ACM panel, and heard them and visually confirmed their seperation, and Jester has, only afterwards, had the option to drop them.

Jester is pretty remarkable for what he does, but there are some holes;

- maintaining STT lock

- I like the idea of calling for a picture

- an option to ask him to change the TCS zoom level

- LANTIRN pod usage (come on Jester surely they went over this in RIO school)

- sometimes the bandit location calls are way off in BFM

Still all in all I find myself missing him whenever I jump into the Hornet now, particularly in a dogfight.

As far as something more resembling a bug, the option to drop tanks should always be there. I have had empty tanks and no option to drop them. I have dropped them myself from the ACM panel, and heard them and visually confirmed their seperation, and Jester has, only afterwards, had the option to drop them.

You have to make sure Master Arm is on before you ask him to pickle your tanks. The RIO can't selectively jettison anything without this.

RIO slewing radar

Wish RIO would slew the radar left and right automatically to keep my AWG 9 painting the target for my AIM-7 or PH while I S-turn to defeat the other guy's missile.

RIO gives aircraft position at exact moments in BFM, but during fast fights, they're long gone before you turn your head. Wished he gave more info on enemy direction.

Also, wished RIO would automatically re-lock up STT targets that he lost.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

Hi guys!

It could be great to have a "Misc" entry in the Jester menu with a request at Jester to select "Jettison fuel tanks" ,amongst other requests, in order to avoïd to change places in the middle of a fight!

Cheers

Jef

Corsair One 140 Windows 10 Home 64 - i7 9700K 3.6 GHz - nVidia GeForce TRX 2080 - Hotas Warthog - Saitek rudder - TIR5.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi guys!

It could be great to have a "Misc" entry in the Jester menu with a request at Jester to select "Jettison fuel tanks" ,amongst other requests, in order to avoïd to change places in the middle of a fight!

Cheers

Jef

I setup the stations 2 and 7 for jettison before every fight while still on ingress to the battle zone. Then before engaging i flip the ACM cover. If needed, a simple switch roll is enough to drop them :thumbup: