Huey in VR is such a blast!

sirrah

Few years back I bought the Huey module on its release date. Pretty soon after, I gave it up as I just didn't get the hang of it (due to my poor chopper flying skills). Recently I fired it up again, but this time in VR...

Wow! :cheer3nc:

What a pleasant surprise. Flying this thing is so much easier in VR! I even landed it on first time try (and on the spot I was aiming for). The action is so thrilling, tracers all around and AI gunners going like madman with their miniguns! With the latest VR performance upgrades from ED, it seems I now can set civil traffic to max without too much frame drop, which adds a lot to a more "living" world. Unfortunately turning shadows on, still causes too much of a hit on fps.

Anyone any suggestions for some user made "must have" missions?

(sorry, just had to share my positiveness :D)

edit: oh, and is there maybe something like an interactive navigation tutorial/mission? (switching between VR and Youtube is a pita)

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Few years back I bought the Huey module on its release date. Pretty soon after, I gave it up as I just didn't get the hang of it (due to my poor chopper flying skills). Recently I fired it up again, but this time in VR...

Wow! :cheer3nc:

What a pleasant surprise. Flying this thing is so much easier in VR! I even landed it on first time try (and on the spot I was aiming for). The action is so thrilling, tracers all around and AI gunners going like madman with their miniguns! With the latest VR performance upgrades from ED, it seems I now can set civil traffic to max without too much frame drop, which adds a lot to a more "living" world. Unfortunately turning shadows on, still causes too much of a hit on fps.

Anyone any suggestions for some user made "must have" missions?

(sorry, just had to share my positiveness :D)

edit: oh, and is there maybe something like an interactive navigation tutorial/mission? (switching between VR and Youtube is a pita)

It's awesome hey, I couldn't fly the Huey to save myself either until I did in VR, I've got the CV-1 also and am pretty excited about upgrading soon enough. Good times!

Choppers are awesome!

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

I can't agree more. The Huey in VR is truly awesome. Shadows have always been a frame killer in DCS. lol But there are tons of great missions for the Huey. Here are a couple of my favs.

Operation Yayo

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3606142&postcount=79

Snow Desert

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3785698&postcount=93

Operation Suppository Freedom (UH-1H)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=230473

Batumi Dispatch - randomized

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305114/

Coming Soon...
The Fraternity Returns : https://thefraternitysim.com/

I learned to fly the huey in 2d and then found I had a lot of bad habits to unlearn when I went to VR :) amazing the effect of depth perception :)

to add to the missions listed by ElementLT.

huey playground by reflected.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=178909

you can learn to use the FM radio for navigating to medevacs

sling loads.

and several targets to go after in gunship config so it has a little of everything.

so its a good mission to just drop in and do random things.

if you have the Normandy map there is a version of the Batumi dispatch set at Caen.

its good because the Normandy map has loads of close together buildings and some really hard landing spots.

but the performance is not great.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305105/

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

Absolutely! Glad I got the Reverb before I started on the Huey. I switched back to the Lenovo Explorer (1440 x 1440) and tried it and it is a kick in the teeth with poor clarity now. It's definitely like you are in the Huey. Once you see it you can't un-see it. You can't ever go back to less clarity and less of a sweet spot again.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Guess it is time I learned the Huey, have owned it for a while now.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Exactly what I thought last week :P

Thanks for all the mission links. There are so many user files that it's difficult to find those "gems"

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Yeah. The Caucasus map is perfect for helo flying, especially in VR.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

But it's DAMN hard w/o joystick extensions. Almost impossible.

You can use the TMHW for collective, but again, you'll be fighting the bird the whole time. Longer throws for cyclic and collective REALLY REALLY REALLY help. That and VR.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

But it's DAMN hard w/o joystick extensions. Almost impossible.

You can use the TMHW for collective, but again, you'll be fighting the bird the whole time. Longer throws for cyclic and collective REALLY REALLY REALLY help. That and VR.

I do agree, I'm having a hard time fully controlling this chopper. Especially during hovering and especially with the TMWH stick (no extension).

But most of all, I miss the interactive training missions. Why didn't ED ever make them just like they did on all other modules?

I could really use them for navigation and for hoisting stuff (no clue on where to start with the latter one :huh: ). YT just doesn't do it for me, as I need to do things myself to learn them.

Despite the struggles.... It's all still jaw dropping, flying low through the hills of Georgia while shooting stuff :D

System specs:

the only thing I needed to do to my warthog was remove the return spring.

which is free compared to an extension.

the throttle I reversed the axis so I need to pull on the throttle instead of push, like a real collective.

at first I wanted an extension but now I don't think I need one. so all it takes is practise.

a couple of fast pickups at Caen dispatch as an example.

vCaeQNeBnas

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I was really struggling with the Huey using TrackIR, just couldn't get it right at all, I got VR a few weeks ago and WOW! What a difference! Everything just feels right now, the distances all make sense and I can really 'feel' what's going on. I have gone from almost giving up on it to it now being one of my most enjoyable modules :thumbup:

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

the only thing I needed to do to my warthog was remove the return spring.

which is free compared to an extension.

the throttle I reversed the axis so I need to pull on the throttle instead of push, like a real collective.

at first I wanted an extension but now I don't think I need one. so all it takes is practise.

a couple of fast pickups at Caen dispatch as an example.

vCaeQNeBnas

the spring mod is essential and makes it easier to control. But the fine controls just can't be had with shorter stick. Just physics.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

hansangb.

but you said almost impossible :)

which it clearly isn't.

or I'm a better pilot than I think I am...

hansangb.

but you said almost impossible :)

which it clearly isn't.

or I'm a better pilot than I think I am...

No, I'm sure you're good at it. It takes a lot of practice.

But here's an example (pre-VR). I had a lot of trouble taxing on the runway and maintaining a few feet of altitude. It's one of the free flight missions with Blackhawks taxing. I was trying to follow them. Then I got the Komodo cyclic/collective and I was able to maintain a perfect taxi. Almost overnight.

So either I became an expert overnight or it was all due to the longer throws.

It can be done. I did it for a while. But it's soooo much better with longer throw joystick/collective.

I love the Huey module though. It brings a smile every time I'm flying around.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

hansangb.

I'm not arguing with the fact that a longer throw and proper collective are not better.

I'm just arguing with the impression that beginners need to spend 1000 euros on a helicopter rig. to learn the basics.

they don't. they can get good with just a warthog.

frustration at the beginning is totally normal. its staying with it that counts. its where our smiles come from :) overcoming something that we once thought was impossible.

perseverance really pays off in the huey with one hell of a dopamine high.

everyone says "I'm not going to be able to do this" in the beginning. everyone..

even in real helicopters..

in Vietnam jet jockeys were volunteer officers. but helicopter pilots were conscripted warrant officers thought of as inferior by jet jockeys.

to get revenge helicopter pilots would challenge new jet jockeys to hover their helicopters.

and the warrant officers were never short of free beer because no jet jockey could do it.

or turn down the challenge from an "inferior"..

it was that story that made me stick with the huey. (from the book chickenhawk)

I also used the descriptions of the training to train myself.

first hovering, then endless hover taxiing, take offs and landings. with the occasional auto rotation thrown in.

I didn't mess with my controls much at this point because I knew it was me who needed to learn and not something to do with the helicopter or controls.

I removed the spring from my warthog later because I had learned everything but I had stopped getting better. at that point I knew it was the warthog spring and lack of precision holding me back. not my lack of muscle memory/skill.

I'm still getting better with the warthog and no spring, why I have never got an extension. I will when I hit another wall in progression. but then i will need to retrain my muscle memory, which will be a step back.

anyway. sorry all for the essay :) just trying to inspire folks who have it but not flown it much because it is hard at first.

you start off as that new jet jockey being conned out of a crate of beer. don't feel bad :)

peter pilot is a badge of honour amongst rotor heads because we all start there.

why it has a forum section.

if you have the cash, of course buy a full helicopter rig. but its not essential. just damn nice.

I do keep looking at them myself.

VR is a better investment though and good pedals.

for a peter pilot.

but as Paul Harrell would say "you be the judge"

I did that too, for the same reason. Takes me a really long time to get ised to though...

I'm just so used to slamming the throttle forward when my sink rate is too high... not a good idea when throttle axis is reversed :P

System specs:

hansangb.

I'm not arguing with the fact that a longer throw and proper collective are not better.

I'm just arguing with the impression that beginners need to spend 1000 euros on a helicopter rig. to learn the basics.

they don't. they can get good with just a warthog.

frustration at the beginning is totally normal. its staying with it that counts. its where our smiles come from :) overcoming something that we once thought was impossible.

perseverance really pays off in the huey with one hell of a dopamine high.

everyone says "I'm not going to be able to do this" in the beginning. everyone..

even in real helicopters..

in Vietnam jet jockeys were volunteer officers. but helicopter pilots were conscripted warrant officers thought of as inferior by jet jockeys.

to get revenge helicopter pilots would challenge new jet jockeys to hover their helicopters.

and the warrant officers were never short of free beer because no jet jockey could do it.

or turn down the challenge from an "inferior"..

it was that story that made me stick with the huey. (from the book chickenhawk)

I also used the descriptions of the training to train myself.

first hovering, then endless hover taxiing, take offs and landings. with the occasional auto rotation thrown in.

I didn't mess with my controls much at this point because I knew it was me who needed to learn and not something to do with the helicopter or controls.

I removed the spring from my warthog later because I had learned everything but I had stopped getting better. at that point I knew it was the warthog spring and lack of precision holding me back. not my lack of muscle memory/skill.

I'm still getting better with the warthog and no spring, why I have never got an extension. I will when I hit another wall in progression. but then i will need to retrain my muscle memory, which will be a step back.

anyway. sorry all for the essay :) just trying to inspire folks who have it but not flown it much because it is hard at first.

you start off as that new jet jockey being conned out of a crate of beer. don't feel bad :)

peter pilot is a badge of honour amongst rotor heads because we all start there.

why it has a forum section.

if you have the cash, of course buy a full helicopter rig. but its not essential. just damn nice.

I do keep looking at them myself.

VR is a better investment though and good pedals.

for a peter pilot.

but as Paul Harrell would say "you be the judge"

No arguments here. I flew with a TMWH along for a while. Then I added the extensions then the collective. It's a disease, what can I say?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Well this thread has me , a former irl sailplane pilot , joining the dark side and beating the air into submission ! Have to say the huey is much easier to fly than i anticipated , even with my controls , and that i have a much greater appreciation of the DCS "world" than i ever did at 300 knots . Great fun flying over and with trains and other vehicles at their speed ! Best $25 i ever spent :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Well this thread has me , a former irl sailplane pilot , joining the dark side and beating the air into submission ! Have to say the huey is much easier to fly than i anticipated , even with my controls , and that i have a much greater appreciation of the DCS "world" than i ever did at 300 knots . Great fun flying over and with trains and other vehicles at their speed ! Best $25 i ever spent :)

I had to google that. Gliders, I know. But didn't know there was such a thing as a sailplane

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I had to google that. Gliders, I know. But didn't know there was such a thing as a sailplane

A direct translation from the German "Segelflugzeug". :smartass:

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.