View distance setting

Rex854Warrior

Hello,

Just a small question for the developpers, in the Persian Gulf night screenshots in particular, you can see building from very far away, much further then with the view distance set on extreme in game, is there a hidden parameter or someway to extend the view range further then extreme ?

Compared to the screenshots, Dubai looks alot worse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=191926&stc=1&d=1534100238

That's the screenshot available on here :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/

And what it looks like with the extreme view range, terrain shadows are On, shadows on High and terrain textures are on High :

attachment.php?attachmentid=191927&stc=1&d=1534100238

(Yes the lighting wasn't the same but you can still see the flat buildings (ugly textures on the ground give it away), the lack of lamposts and the lack of shapes at long ranges).

It would be nice to have a way to make the game look like those official screenshots, even if performance would suffer.

Regards,

Rex.

EDIT : with similar lighting,

https://imgur.com/a/imkmGq8

DCS-PG-Night-Lighting-04.thumb.jpg.6e646e61ba9bf3496ee2e0d06325bc67.jpg

Screen_180812_205114.thumb.png.cde2e650df4b673ef2fc3100d51b7a71.png

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

good comparison shots!

i really hope, that the lighting is still very much WIP and that we'll get there eventually.

you maybe want to drop those screenshots in this discussion also:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215472&page=6

Hello, very interesting comparison.

Did you take a look at "graphic.lua" in the root directory of DCS? I can't open it now cause i am on my phone but i remember that you can change some distance settings manually. I have opened this file twice in order to change the screenshot quality

This comparison clearly shows how far ahead the night lightning is in ED‘s internal test branches compared to the released game. The major differences are all those countless light dots for the roads and buildings and the illuminated sky at full moon.

And I would rather not want to accuse ED of intentionally using false advertising, as this is is going to be implemented real soon now, to match the official screenshots on the webpage, won’t it? It‘s probably WIP.

Edited by Manuel_108

And I would rather not want to accuse ED of intentionally using false advertising, as this is is going to be implemented real soon now, to match the official screenshots on the webpage, won’t it? It‘s probably WIP.

Did I do that ? It isn't the intent of this post.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hello, very interesting comparison.

Did you take a look at "graphic.lua" in the root directory of DCS? I can't open it now cause i am on my phone but i remember that you can change some distance settings manually. I have opened this file twice in order to change the screenshot quality

I am playing with it, trying to get a good balance of performance and looks, the only thing missing for me at this point are the lamposts.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
Hello,

Just a small question for the developpers, in the Persian Gulf night screenshots in particular, you can see building from very far away, much further then with the view distance set on extreme in game, is there a hidden parameter or someway to extend the view range further then extreme ?

Yes, in graphics.lua:

line 336: Extreme = 1.5; -----set this higher to force greater render distance, e.g 3.0 would be twice the render radius.

(naturally just be prepared for a drop in performance if you force this value higher)

Yes, in graphics.lua:

line 336: Extreme = 1.5; -----set this higher to force greater render distance, e.g 3.0 would be twice the render radius.

(naturally just be prepared for a drop in performance if you force this value higher)

I have tried it and while it indeed increases the range at which the buildings are rendered, the same is not true for lights. Light poles, house lights dissapear first and even the sort of light halo around cities dissapears at some point too.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Forgot to mention, also try boosting lamp scale/brightness in terrainoptions41.lua (Config\terrain)

line 60: lampsScale = 2;

this might get things looking a bit closer to how the ED screenshot looks.

Thank you very much, this worked and already looks better.

There is really one last thing that I need to tweak and it's the LOD for lights, tried to mess around with the terrainoptions file but it doesn't seems to do what I want.

Edited by Rex854Warrior

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 7 months later...

Could it be that ED tweaked all quality related parameters beyond the boundaries which would result in really bad performance and then captured the video frame by frame to make it look more appealing? I was never able to achieve this high video quality output as shown in the Persian Gulf final trailer.

• ED Team
Could it be that ED tweaked all quality related parameters beyond the boundaries which would result in really bad performance and then captured the video frame by frame to make it look more appealing? I was never able to achieve this high video quality output as shown in the Persian Gulf final trailer.

I had my settings at "Extreme" visibility, but there were no tweaks beyond that.

Keep in mind that when you zoom in, you will see alot more detail in the distance compared to the "normal" FOV, like in-cockpit etc.

"Could it be that ED tweaked all quality related parameters beyond the boundaries"

I would word it differently myself...

I'd say they placed boundaries in a way that would keep people from getting into too much trouble with trying to set things at the max... but anyone that's determined still has the ability...

So... I wouldn't say they went "beyond the boundaries"... they just used different ways to change their settings.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)