PTID and Sparrowhawk - Page 6 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #51
turkeydriver

I recommend all hands here read Black Aces High- about VF-41 during Kosovo if you want to know what its like in an F-14 squad.
turkeydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #52
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger22 View Post
So this has basically come down to what your preferences are to what you like/want. For you the B with all the bells and whistles is the definitive Turkey. For other like me and many others it's 80's/90's A's/A+s that were.

Where the primary role was fleet defence/air superiority, where the tomcat was still very advanced and to many was the supreme aircraft over enemy skies. Not the dying old airframes of the early 2000's that while yes, had more advanced electronics, couldn't do much more than preform long range strike. It pretty much just became a fighter sized B-1B.

So yes, modelling the most advanced variant of an airframe might be nice and fit your wishes, it's not what many think of when looking back on the Tomcat. Heck after all most people will think of the grimey A's of the TOPGUN fame.

Edit -- I'm not accounting the D in this because HB have already addressed this in their future plans and the point of discussion has been around the B.
Even the A and B(A+) where used primarily as Bombcats from the late 90ies Kosovo conflict up to OEF, OIF in the 2000s in the configurations we get (classic A and B with LANTIRN rigged to the frame and display). Only in 2001 CVW-7 the software update to GBU-32 JDAM even started for the B. The older A and B flew in parallel and dropped tons of LGBs and iron bombs.
What we get is exactly the versatile Multi-role Jet the NAVY initially wanted and the Tomcat became over time. It isn't "only" a Fleet Defence interceptor. In its prime it was catering half a dozen roles and was very good at each of them.

- Flying Sims since 1984 -
Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
shagrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:11 AM   #53
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
But they did have PTID, Sparrowhawk, LANTIRN and F-14D...

Just not all or any in 1996

This is digital combat simulator not 1996 real life. The whole point of simulation IMO is too demonstrate hypothetical scenarios, with realistic Capabilities and systems.
So you will have a PTID, but no option to drop the beloved JDAM, as this would require a software update from 2001. Yet with the software update from 2001 we would have a "unrealistic" (as in not available) in 80% of the F-14B's service life?
I prefer Heatblur's approach to focus on the versions that saw a broader range of conflicts, so we can have scenarios closer to real life engagements.

For me it's different, if I try a fictional "what if a F-14B would fight against a Su-33" scenario, versus setting up a fictional "Balkans"-like scenario in the Caucasus that should depict the real life situation in Kosovo in the 90ies.

The B with the rigged LANTIRN opens up a lot of real life scenarios without spoiling older eras.

Win 10 | i5 7600K@4.0GHz | 32GB | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB - Acer XB280HK 28" 4k | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | TM HOTAS Warthog custom build extension | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | TM Cougar MFDs |a hand made UFC and an AHCP | Oculus Rift & controller
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #54
Gypsy31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_03 View Post
I wish we we were getting PTID and sparrowhawk.
You’re not alone Wizard. I made a similar post before.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221818&page=2

It’s evident we all have a different idea of what we would like the product to represent. Aerosoft did a great job representing the F-14A and B throughout the span of her career with options that the user can select which HUD to use or whether the flight model reflects an analogue, with or without the ARI, or digital FCS.

Heatblur’s version looks like it will be an amazing product and I couldn’t be happier that the F-14 is coming out for DCS.
Gypsy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #55
shagrat
ED Translator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy31 View Post
You’re not alone Wizard. I made a similar post before.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221818&page=2

It’s evident we all have a different idea of what we would like the product to represent. Aerosoft did a great job representing the F-14A and B throughout the span of her career with options that the user can select which HUD to use or whether the flight model reflects an analogue, with or without the ARI, or digital FCS.

Heatblur’s version looks like it will be an amazing product and I couldn’t be happier that the F-14 is coming out for DCS.
I prefer two realistic models with actually working systems, than a multitude of cosmetic panel changes with no effect on the plane and weapon systems... ah, right working weapon systems.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #56
Gypsy31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagrat View Post
I prefer two realistic models with actually working systems, than a multitude of cosmetic panel changes with no effect on the plane and weapon systems... ah, right working weapon systems.
Don't we all?
Gypsy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #57
captain_dalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSHADO View Post
Goodness - to say something isn't representative one would have to throw a dart at a calendar on the wall to be specific. No disrespect, but this F-14A/B is "unrealistic" of when exactly?

Feel free to add to this:
1) Early F-14A
2) F-14A TARPS
3) F-14B
4) F-14A with LANTIRN
5) Early F-14D
6) F-14B (U) Upgrade (<--Sparrowhawk is here)
7) F-14D (U)
8 - Very Last F-14As (VF-154 with PTID mostly)
Yeah, exactly!
Personally i would "sell a kidney" for a cruise one or cruse two 1975-1976 early A, with an IRST pod (no matter how funky that thing turned out in actual operating environments), but alas, we aren't getting those. We are getting mid 80's and early 90's birds. So be it, i'd rather have those Turkeys, then none at all......
captain_dalan is offline   Reply With Quote