[FEATURE REQUEST] Airborne tanker bank angle control while refueling - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #1
GGTharos
Veteran

Default [FEATURE REQUEST] Airborne tanker bank angle control while refueling

Currently a tanker will only bank to 15 degrees while performing air refueling. This makes refueling patterns unnecessarily large.

The request is to add two parameters:
  1. Racetrack width (nm or km) to the racetrack orbit action.
  2. Maximum Bank Angle (15,30,45,60) parameter to the refueling action.
  3. Refueling airspeed should be a fixed IAS speed, not TAS/GAS etc.

The bank angle is the maximum bank angle allowed during refuelling to attempt to stay in the pattern. Meaning, the tanker will use as much bank as it needs, smoothly - meaning, calculate the necessary bank and only vary it very little if necessary. The AI should ignore small deviations in favor of smooth flying.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Last edited by GGTharos; 12-06-2018 at 04:34 PM.
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Worrazen

Agreed, having a smarter refuel AI and felixbility in ME is something that would keep people trying and not flat out avoid air refueling.

I try it every now and then and lose patience quickly. Well, I just don't have a good enough joystick maybe.

Also the airfuel AI isn't holding exactly the same airspeed, it glitches up and down (a 100 km single waypoint) - I think this is a general default AI thing that probably happens with all AIs IMO. I've seen AI A10-C do really bizzare things that A10-C should never be able to do.

Last edited by Worrazen; 12-06-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Worrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
Eddie
Veteran

Very much needed. I’d also suggest the ability to set a fixed IAS for the tanker, rather than TAS which can lead to significant changes in IAS with winds aloft.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
GGTharos
Veteran

Good point Eddie, amended.

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump
I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda
GGTharos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 PM   #5
Worrazen

Well yes it's probably not realistic that it would hold exactly the same IAS point zero zero zero zero in real life but the glitch makes it go like 5-10 knots up and down so that's quite significant. I think it may have to do something with terrain underneath, but I ran it on a super flat spot in Caucasus, even tho I set it to ignore ground.

If the variation realism is built-in, then I guess an option to enable a cheat to fix it could be a solution, disabled by default.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:49 AM   #6
Frederf
Veteran

Tanker needs a database of receiver parameters per receiver type. So slow plane shows up and tanker slows down and fast plane shows up and tanker speeds up. A static ME setting for transfer parameters is no good. When no receiver then tanker should fly programmed speed (need orbit task which isn't G/S based) or calculate its own best endurance.

Would be nice to link a tanking task to a trigger zone and just have it try to remain inside it.
Frederf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #7
Eddie
Veteran

Indeed, that would be the gold plated solution Frederf.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote