Hall-Sensor mod for CH-Fightertick?

Why would you want to? CH is good...stock, works flawlessly out of the box...no need for mods.

i7-4820k @ 3.7, Windows 7 64-bit, 16GB 1866mhz EVGA GTX 970 2GB, 256GB SSD, 500GB WD, TM Warthog, TM Cougar MFD's, Saitek Combat Pedals, TrackIR 5, G15 keyboard, 55" 4K LED

Ruggbutt did a review here at CombatAce comparing his six year old CH Fighterstick and Pro throttle against a new one and they both worked identically.

But the plastic and the design are so butt-ugly. It looks like something cheap from the 8-bit era. They need to work on that. Too bad I'm so bothered with such unimportant details :)

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I have to say if my x65 dies, I would consider the fighterstick and throttle. I do not like the peddels so will stick with Saiteks.

Bullet

I7 4790K running at 4390 with a gigabyte board with 16 gigs of ram with an Asus gtx 660-ti and 2 tb of hard drive space on 2 wd hard drives. A X-65F Hotas with trackir4 and pro combat peddles. A kick butt home built machine unfortunately running a windows 7 OS.

Looks? Form follows function! The plastic has never bothered me. Lot's of high $ industrial controls are plastic. The plastic used is high grade industrial that will last a very, very long time.

Granted, nobody's questioning that. I'm just saying that whatever the reason is (maybe too many x-chromosomes?), I will never buy a CH product as it is because it doesn't look the part (with it's very dated and sterile design), the finishing of the materials (the plastic looks and feels rough and has this cheap look to me) and the movement has too little resistance. I would rather buy a new HOTAS every two or three years (again the x-chromosomes?), although I don't find time to use them that much at all it seems because my 8 to 10-year old Saitek X36 still performs admirably (the design is extremely dated, but it was very affordable and I find the materials much more pleasing).

Now, I'm not trying to lament about my personal problems and preferences; the point was that if there are more people who are bothered with that (and there must be, since a lot of people bought the TM Cougar over the CH, me included), the CH is loosing a lot of potential customers which is something they should keep in mind if and when they decide to update their consumer line (unless their consumer product division is only a fraction of their business).

BTW, I'm considering selling the Cougar (never plugged in; only taken out of the box twice) because I don't feel like investing into mods since I have to mod the throttle as well (as if the stick mods were not too expensive already) and I don't like the F-16 style of controls anyway so I'd rather get a Saitek X-65 or TM Warthog (FSSB and NXT equivalents). But it seems to be getting out of stock fast so I'm wondering whether to hold on selling it because I'd hate to sell it for peanuts. OK, maybe I am lamenting after all, sorry for being so OT.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Granted, nobody's questioning that. I'm just saying that whatever the reason is (maybe too many x-chromosomes?)...

Sure, we have all personal preferences. Cheers

IMHO Saitek make much nicer looking/feeling throttles than CHs Pro Throttle.

Only reason I never bought Saitek though is because I think the CH Fighterstick makes all Saiteks sticks look and feel like crummy toys. The CH doesn't have the sloppy centering or weak plastic feel of a Saitek stick.

Mind you I haven't tried the new X65 stuck yet, and a good friend of mine loves his.

As a side note though all my Saitek friends seem to need to buy each new model as theirs wear out every 2-3

years.

Exactly why no hall sensor mod is needed. The potentiometers are high quality and need no replacing in the CH gear.

Edited by Crunch

• 6 years later...

disagree wholeheartedly, used everything- CH sucks. They put a warranty sticker over the screw, which is illegal, by the way, they cannot prevent you from doing maintenance on a gimbal,they don't grease their gimbals, and their spring quality is very very low... OH and by the way, based on case law, a gimbal without grease, especially in airplane parts is considered not only defective but gross negligence...

so logic that out.

combine the above with the fact they use 20 year old technology and boom. I mean shoot,there are older stick designs, from companies that don't exist anymore that have better springs, better gimbals, magnetic sensors, and 12 to 16 bit tracking.

there is some fanboy up in this mug. Buy one if you want to waste 100 bucks, they aren't worth more than 40. get an old serial port one and use a 15 pin adapter to usb 2.0, trust me it will work with their software...it hasn't been updated since 2006, and even then it was made it visual basic in 1989 or something./

CH is a dinosaur, the only reason they are a thing is because they've got a stick with 3 4 ways and an 8 way. The only compete there is thrustmaster cougar, x-55 , warthog, or x56.

the trigger on all Ch products should have bankrupted them in 1997. Let them die.

SAAAAALTYY.

You don't need grease on this gimbal, perfectly smooth without.

Love my Fighterstick. Just wish I could use it centre-mounted but the design doesn't allow for that, much more comfortable on the side. The 8 bit encoders aren't an issue at all. The Fighterstick and pro throttle works perfectly.

CH uses fiber additives in their plastics , that's why they are rock solid.

Their gimbal is not very precise because of huge tolerances between parts.

The only thing I would use with CH is its grips.

These are great to fit any frankenstein you'll dream on and will practically last forever...

I did some work some years ago to make a mod that could fit any stick to become force sensing stick (as it is in the real F-16).

If there's an interest - i'll put it back to the sketch board...

• Like 1

Nir Bar

"Schredder"

"In the warrior code there's no surrender,

though his body says stop,his spirit cries...

NEVER !!!"

This guy too use TLE5010.

Since in CH gimbal pot' axis is the pivot for gimbal - removing the pot' the gimbal fall apart, pot axis is used for support the magnet:

F16_pot_priprava.jpg

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4299573/re-ch-josytick-spare-potentiometers#Post4299573

Of course, TLE5010 digital bus is not compatible with CH (8 bits) controller - need new USB controller at least for X,Y axis.

GLV224 sensor work in analog bus, so is "PnP" for original controller.