GPU upgrade advice

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Please keep in mind. IF you can wait, do. Nvidia will be releasing their next Volta architecture in early 2018. These cards will be expensive BUT that means the current cards will significantly drop in price. If you can wait, wait for volta.

ok TraVolta I wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

• 2 weeks later...
Do check how much or little space you have in the case though, cause some cards are monsters, and then obviously check their dimensions too.

Just a final thought, I will be getting 1060 mini from gigabyte @6GB memory. This should be swappable with the 650 and also a 750 PSU, a 9590 vishera and SSD. I have no interest in nevada or normandy. I'll also upgrade RAM to 16 GB from 8 GB. I hope someone could chime in on these before I plunge.

Mini because of my form factor.

err Zotac not gigabyte sorry.

I thought you were just doing a GPU upgrade. Are you now considering a full PC upgrade? If so, that is an entirely different scenario.

Mobo

If you are after a very small form factor, go MiniITX, the only real draw backs are,

1. The components to overclock on those boards are generally present on the more expensive versions (honestly, OC'ing these days is quite pointless beyond the automated OC).

2. Only one PCI-E socket, but SLI is pointless, IMHO because there are always scaling issues, drivers are wonky, at best you'll maybe get 50% out of the second card, and many engines don't even support sli (to include DX12!)

Case

As for the case, I recommend this guy: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4.php

It's pricey but well worth the $. It is designed to accommodate even the largest GPU's while maintaining a very small profile. Also, don't be suckered into thinking a bigger case is better. It's basic thermodynamics, more space to cool = requirement to move more air. Buy some Notctua fans to go inside and your good. BTW, Idk if your military or not, but if you are, keep in mind you will want variable RPM fans so when your in the sand box, you can force your intake fans to move slightly less air than out fans, this way you have a positive pressure environment and you keep the dust/sand out.

Ram

upgrading your RAM depends on what your doing. Going from 8GB to 16GB really doesn't do a whole lot for gaming. However, if you work with file compression a lot, this is where that bump will shine (archiving files, image/ audio compression, etc)

no zotac

I thought you were just doing a GPU upgrade. Are you now considering a full PC upgrade? If so, that is an entirely different scenario.

Mobo

If you are after a very small form factor, go MiniITX, the only real draw backs are,

1. The components to overclock on those boards are generally present on the more expensive versions (honestly, OC'ing these days is quite pointless beyond the automated OC).

2. Only one PCI-E socket, but SLI is pointless, IMHO because there are always scaling issues, drivers are wonky, at best you'll maybe get 50% out of the second card, and many engines don't even support sli (to include DX12!)

Case

As for the case, I recommend this guy: https://www.dan-cases.com/dana4.php

It's pricey but well worth the $. It is designed to accommodate even the largest GPU's while maintaining a very small profile. Also, don't be suckered into thinking a bigger case is better. It's basic thermodynamics, more space to cool = requirement to move more air. Buy some Notctua fans to go inside and your good. BTW, Idk if your military or not, but if you are, keep in mind you will want variable RPM fans so when your in the sand box, you can force your intake fans to move slightly less air than out fans, this way you have a positive pressure environment and you keep the dust/sand out.

Ram

upgrading your RAM depends on what your doing. Going from 8GB to 16GB really doesn't do a whole lot for gaming. However, if you work with file compression a lot, this is where that bump will shine (archiving files, image/ audio compression, etc)

I dont want to but it looks I dont have a choice. the other side is to wait until they go obsolete or just use minimum modules and nothing else but dcs and to snip snip the extra programs and just minimalist approach to a dcs only rig (not even steel beasts), and just proceed with gtx 1060, SSD, ram and power supply. My current 8150 works nicely so far tested it dec 2016 (last gaming days before work travel), not sure now with all things since december popping into dcs it would work though. the GPU is the essential component IMHO because of the graphics being slower. Like cichlid and others said, I shall do this on a trial and error basis bit by bit not all at once. starting with SSD.

Your right, the GPU, in MOST, modern games is the most important factor for gaming. So now that things have changed. What are you planning to upgrade and what are you leaving alone? IMHO, the year is near the 1/2 way point, if you can wait until volta, I really can't recommend this enough. It gives you time to save $ and you will get a better system for it.

In terms of the SSD, I am waiting for Optane. It shows a lot of promise and some may disagree with me but it will be coming out close to the release time of volta so it's best to wait. I am one of those "Knowledge is power" kind of folks. If you find out something isn't as powerful as you thought it would be, atleast now you have the knowledge to make a more informed decision.

If you have some questions and you really want to sit down and talk about this upgrade/rebuild, I have a teamspeak we can talk on, just send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...
Your right, the GPU, in MOST, modern games is the most important factor for gaming. So now that things have changed. What are you planning to upgrade and what are you leaving alone? IMHO, the year is near the 1/2 way point, if you can wait until volta, I really can't recommend this enough. It gives you time to save $ and you will get a better system for it.

In terms of the SSD, I am waiting for Optane. It shows a lot of promise and some may disagree with me but it will be coming out close to the release time of volta so it's best to wait. I am one of those "Knowledge is power" kind of folks. If you find out something isn't as powerful as you thought it would be, atleast now you have the knowledge to make a more informed decision.

If you have some questions and you really want to sit down and talk about this upgrade/rebuild, I have a teamspeak we can talk on, just send me a PM.

Certainly, thank you for the help. I will pop in once I get back and try out things.