So I'm making a Sam Simulator

riboyster

Decided to pursue my dream of recreating Hpasp's Sam Simulator, but in Unity. Just started several days ago, and obviously have a ton of stuff to do, including make my own models and program everything from the ground up. So far I've nearly completed the script I will be using to continuously calculate acceleration forces on the body of the rocket.

I think the next step (aside from making some models and getting them imported) is to work on a script that guides the missiles to target.

Last of all, I think I will work on the interiors and panels with GUI interfaces (think clickable cockpit). That part scares the bejeezus out of me, as I have NO experience with GUIs.

All in all, this is a very rough plan of action, and I'm working at my best pace - slow. I'll try to remember to post updates as they are relevant. If this thing gets big, I'd like to start with a standalone release. Very future plans include incorporating it into DCS. Even if I have to do the scripts from the ground up again in LUA.

Here are some pics - wish me luck!

render.thumb.jpg.3a26c9a5d9d69692bfcb8e6356617c44.jpg

stuff.thumb.jpg.43de3bb173eced8709dcbcd5821245d4.jpg

dvina.thumb.jpg.b5e8f0dc64837182fa906744df116391.jpg

sa21.thumb.jpg.032e3635c1539f023ed335a355626c48.jpg

sa2.thumb.jpg.5ca67a1c78dfc6a009a3c7382d4f33ed.jpg

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Peace through Superior Firepower

EVERYTHING YOU'LL EVER NEED FOR LOMAC:

http://flankertraining.com/ironhand/news.html

Subscribed... all the best M8!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I hope you become an official module in DCS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I hope you become an official module in DCS

That would be a dream come true. If I can manage that with this, you are going to f****ng lose it when you see what I have planned for my next project (also hoping to run in DCS some day). I'll start giving hints if this ends up being amazing. No need to get ourselves too excited just yet.

Good luck! SAMSim with a 3D cabin would be great.

That's the endgoal, bud.

SITREP:

Not much progress in the past few days. Time has been somewhat limited. Was able to get some work done on the Fan Song SNR, but only minor details. Also, found out that I forgot to write code that tells the missile how to fly if pointed toward the ground (duh). One day at a time so far..

I am not a professional developer or modeler, so my models will not be anything near accurate until I have the resources to buy some.

-Thanks

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

Updates Updates:

Not much done this week. Pacing myself so far.

Missile is working in the game engine. T/T mode (the easiest) is working. Really want to model the erratic behavior of missile in flight while tracking. That is proving to be pretty difficult, so I put it on the back burner.

Got stage separation working, as well as fuel/mass calculations while in flight. Obviously, it's eating fuel while it's burning, which means it's getting lighter, and therefor accelerating more quickly. Nailed that problem in a day, no big deal. Narrowed the drag coefficient down to what I believe must be realistic (if the physics engine in said game engine is accurate). Looking forward to getting some footage of the missile being launched in realtime (particles are nearly done, as well. At least as realistically as I can at this point).

Made a model for the missile after it's payload has been detonated, and am working on getting forces applied to it during the explosion that send it spiraling (as seen in youtube vids). This has been giving me trouble for some reason. I either have to set the thing to rotate a given degrees per second, or have a force applied at a time mark. The prior requires a function to be called for every frame, and the way I have my explosion function set up does not allow for that. Will take several days to figure out.

More work on SNR. Planning on having it fall apart when hit by an ARM, or fragmentation from an explosion.

Here are some updated pics. Will get to some ingame launch vids at some point. No cabins or control panels yet.

1.thumb.jpg.c48ffdb3577efaad67c9cd786348ad22.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.3e2eb909459830e97473fb2729fded39.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.759059d26be39da8e09770679c722c00.jpg

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
Whatever you do, don't do terminal homing (proportional navigation) immediately from launch, like they do in DCS. Sooooooo aggravating.

How do you mean?

Just started working on this again, after a break. Homing and flight profiles are working wonderfully.

The next big hurdle will be to reproduce the crazy coarse steering provided by the fins, while maintaining reasonable accuracy.

Small code teaser in attachments.

sim.thumb.jpg.3168b381ff52084159a6b49d0460fc87.jpg

-SnakeShit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]