A-400M Thread

amalahama

Now, finaly they've crossed the river...congratulations!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i5-760 (2.8-3.33), GigaByte GA-P55-USB3, be quiet PurePower BQT L7 530W ATX23, CoolerMaster CM690II Adv, LG GH22LS, HD 500GB WD5001AALS, 6 GB Kingston 1333-999 Blu, Sapphire 1GB HD5850 Vapor-X OC, Scythe Yasya SCYS-1000, display LG E2350VR-SN 23"

It's actually insanely cool this thing. Imagine you work for a company that's been planning a thing like this for years, then finally you get to sit in the freshly made cockpit in an orange suit and finally take it for a ride - and it works!

Looks really nice.

Question: Cool that it is so "cheap" in comparison to Globemaster etc, but will it actually replace those models? I think I read somewhere that it is going to replace Hercules and Transall ?

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

It's actually insanely cool this thing. Imagine you work for a company that's been planning a thing like this for years, then finally you get to sit in the freshly made cockpit in an orange suit and finally take it for a ride - and it works!

Looks really nice...

i don't think they do the pilot job with the idea of becoming test pilots one day , i think they more likely aspire to be pilots and one day because of their skills they are choosen for such job

...Question: Cool that it is so "cheap" in comparison to Globemaster etc, but will it actually replace those models? I think I read somewhere that it is going to replace Hercules and Transall ?

the C-17 has only one advantage it can carry heavy tanks which seems not to be a priority for european armies right now , but the C-17 needs much longer runway to operate from and use much more fuel . however Airbus did the right move to first start by a propeller (when you don't master the technology you'd better do it step by step) .

i don't think they do the pilot job with the idea of becoming test pilots one day , i think they more likely aspire to be pilots and one day because of their skills they are choosen for such job.

Sorry that was not at all what I meant, but of course that is the most likely course. I just meant that it must be quite a feeling to sit down behind the controls of that newly built bird and take it for its first flight. All the buttons shiny new and no worn off paint on the controls and crispy clear new MFDs with a crystal clear window without scratches to look out through etc... :thumbup:

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

Sorry that was not at all what I meant, but of course that is the most likely course. I just meant that it must be quite a feeling to sit down behind the controls of that newly built bird and take it for its first flight. All the buttons shiny new and no worn off paint on the controls and crispy clear new MFDs with a crystal clear window without scratches to look out through etc... :thumbup:

don't know if the A400 cockpit is more modern than the C-17's

don't know if the A400 cockpit is more modern than the C-17's

Man, you're a tough one :D

I still think the cockpit looks very nice and without knowing what other cockpits look like (they where all hopefully brand new one day long ago) I'd still say it seems like it's awfully nice to get the opportunity to fly this pretty thing.

Man, you're a tough one :D

I still think the cockpit looks very nice and without knowing what other cockpits look like (they where all hopefully brand new one day long ago) I'd still say it seems like it's awfully nice to get the opportunity to fly this pretty thing.

as far as i know it's not forbidden to continue the conversation :smilewink:

• 2 weeks later...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win7 Home Premium 64bit, Intel Core i5-760 (2.8-3.33), GigaByte GA-P55-USB3, be quiet PurePower BQT L7 530W ATX23, CoolerMaster CM690II Adv, LG GH22LS, HD 500GB WD5001AALS, 6 GB Kingston 1333-999 Blu, Sapphire 1GB HD5850 Vapor-X OC, Scythe Yasya SCYS-1000, display LG E2350VR-SN 23"

• 2 weeks later...
And now they're thinking of scrapping it...

Source? And who are "they"? Are you alluding to UK SDR?

EDIT: found one source already: http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story.jsp?id=news/awx/2010/01/05/awx_01_05_2010_p0-194004.xml&headline=A400M Talks Concern Airbus&channel=defense

"A400M Talks concern Airbus"

Edited by tflash

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Chill above the A400

http://www.challenges.fr/actualites/entreprises/20100111.CHA0463/labandon_de_la400m_serait_socialement_catastrophique.html (french)

http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2010/01/06/l-avenir-de-l-a400m-est-de-plus-en-plus-nebuleux_1288082_3234.html (french)

a rare catastrophic scenario and no guilty one . i would like to know the name of the one who messed up that way with our taxes not much to blame her/him but just to know how such mess can happen

We will know more after January 14th. A-400M is not the only program with delays, but here it amounts to about 25% of projected cost, and no one seems to be willing to take the burden.

On the other hand I do believe this is a very useful program and every euro you put in true airlift capability is a good one. While UK could opt for more C-130J-30's and C-17, I fail to see how other partner nations could really satisfy their needs with such a mix.

Although Belgium, which currently operates C-130H, could consider C-130J. Anyway what a big, big failure this would be for Europe and more in particular for engineering in Europe.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]