[FIXED INTERNALLY] Static Object <10 mile Visibility Distance

SonofEil

With the latest update Static Object visibility distance has been set to <10nm.

This would make some sense with small items like flags, tires, etc., but it's a serious problem with large objects such as compounds, factories and warehouses. Even when attempting to view static objects on a targeting pod they won't blink into existence until <10nm away.

Tested in both Caucuses and PG.

Is there a config value I can change until this is fixed? It's messed up a lot of my missions.

Attached is a sample mission, Tech Combine placed in the center of the X runways.

DELETE View Test.miz

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

Have you noticed anything strange with the trees as well? I have the tree slider maxed to 100% and the tree draw distance seems to have been reduced as well with the latest patch, both on Caucasus and NTTR.

I haven't done any objective tests but yeah, I causually noticed I can see trees 'growing' out of the ground much closer than in previous updates. That's something that, while I'm not necessarily happy about it, I can live with for the time being. The static objects being invisible until you're practically right over them, on the other hand, breaks about half my missions.

Edited by SonofEil

I've noticed the draw distance for all objects have been adjusted in a negative way also. In VR zoomed in, normally I can see a tanker 20 miles out with PD set 1.5, but now I can only see them within 10 miles. Also, static object vehicles take longer to show when zoomed in.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Problem still persists with today's update.

ED, what gives? This really breaks ground/infrastructure attack missions. Can whatever setting got changed please be reverted?

• 2 months later...

I was creating a refinery attack mission on sirri island, trying to recreate some Iran/Iraq war stuff, and couldn't figure out why the hell none of the refineries or platforms I placed were visible from distance. Looks like I found my answer.

Is this being addressed? Because it sure makes for sucky infrastructure attack missions when you can't see the infrastructure you're supposed to attack.

Yeah guys its been reported. Overall the rendering seems to go from 12km on low view distance settings to 20km on extreme. Which is sub-optimal considering you can easily spot tanks through optics at higher ranges than that. Hopefully it'll get addressed soon.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update Grimes. I'm sure it was intended as a performance-oriented tweak but this has been broken for more than a quarter of the year now.

And yes, it's really bad when flying with optics but it also needs to be addressed when using the old Mk I eyeball. Factories, power plants, etc. should be easily visible from much greater than 20km (like they used to be). It's especially noticeable on barren maps like PG and Nevada.

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I see that nothing has changed after many months. I also have a problem with viewing objects in the TGP A10c.

Today I did some tests, using the FLIR I can not see static objects up to a distance of 9nm.

If I use a static object also present on Fortificatin, the object can be seen from 30nm, if I use the same object that is in static object it will be visible only from 9nm. The thing is very troubling ... I can not even see the FARP at 10 nm ...

Now more than a month I have this problem with A10c FLIR.

ED, do you know this error? Do you intend to do something, or do not care that those who use A10 can not do missions to attack objects on the ground ...?!

Greetings, Duster.

Edited by Duster

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU i7 7700K@4.5ghz * COOLER ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO * MB MSI Z270 Gaming M3 * RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 2400MHz * GPU Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini * SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for S.O. * SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for DCS * HDD 1TB WD Blue x2 * PSU Corsair CX650M * SO Windows 10 pro 64bit * TrackIR 5 * Saiteck x52 Pro

News?...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPU i7 7700K@4.5ghz * COOLER ARCTIC Freezer 13 CO * MB MSI Z270 Gaming M3 * RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 2400MHz * GPU Zotac GTX 1070Ti mini * SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB for S.O. * SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB for DCS * HDD 1TB WD Blue x2 * PSU Corsair CX650M * SO Windows 10 pro 64bit * TrackIR 5 * Saiteck x52 Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I had a feeling that the "Extreme" view range didn't feel "extreme" anymore, more like "High".

This would explain why aircraft have seem to be harder to spot as well.

Can confirm on the static objects as well. (A lot of statics on Blue Flag)

I've also noticed that ground units are a lot more crisp and easier to spot from further away, than aircraft. Especially small ones like a gazelle. Even from a km or two away

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

Often on Caucus bombing runs, you can't even pick out vehicles at less than 6000 altitude.

you can't even pick out armor types until about 2300.

This and the abysmal AI (both retarded friendly and god-like opfor) really are the worst parts about this sim right now. It's nigh unplayable as anything other than a "fly around and look at stuff" sim.

I had a feeling that the "Extreme" view range didn't feel "extreme" anymore, more like "High".

This would explain why aircraft have seem to be harder to spot as well.

Can confirm on the static objects as well. (A lot of statics on Blue Flag)

I've also noticed that ground units are a lot more crisp and easier to spot from further away, than aircraft. Especially small ones like a gazelle. Even from a km or two away

it also explains why you can now set MSAA2 + SAA 1.5 while before it would result in 30 fps, now its costant 60 fps :thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• 4 weeks later...

you can't even pick out armor types until about 2300.

You can't even pick a huge factory in a plain field from ~17 km range until it suddenly spawns under your nose.

This is fine for generic statics, as it reduces load. But in my case it is a manually placed factory, it is a mission objective, so it is very frustrating to have such a small visibility range. :mad:

P.S. Even some map generic buildings are visible much farther in the same mission.