Just for you, Cold War spotters

GoogleEarth has updated Germany and UK high-res photos, so you can see many of the former (and present) airbases out there, to see what they look(ed) like. Unfortunately many got levelled and are barely recognizable... for example Wildenrath has a nice road/railroad oval running thru... Bitburg, the former "nest of eagles", home of the awesome 36th TFW, is now home for any boor car-tuner... Altenuburg-Nobitz has two lakes nearby which I'm not sure they were there when Fulcrums were operating....

Anyway, enjoy the ride! ;)

Wow, faszinating. Interesting how many of the airbases have built their HAS complexes into small forests.

And the Polyarny area is simply incredible. Alot of subs and ships to see there. I am already happily IDing them :)

Sometimes our age of informations amazes me.

Wow, faszinating. Interesting how many of the airbases have built their HAS complexes into small forests.

And the Polyarny area is simply incredible. Alot of subs and ships to see there. I am already happily IDing them :)

Sometimes our age of informations amazes me.

Hi Mbot, I remember you once asked me my googleearth bookmarks. You still want them? I mapped a lot of NATO and former Soviet bases.

Hi Mbot, I remember you once asked me my googleearth bookmarks. You still want them? I mapped a lot of NATO and former Soviet bases.

Oh I would love to see them. Send you a PM.

Btw, interesting that most major NATO bases in germany only have a single runway. Wouldn't that have made them more vulnerable to air strikes ? Being such a fundation of the defense of germany/europe in the cold war, one would think that these bases were layed redundant.

Well, while you're looking at Nellis AFB, take a peek a bit north and to the west. Plenty of pockmarked terrain there, including something that looks like lines in the sand.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Real men fly ground attack :pilotfly: where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you :D

Oh boy, lots of hi-res Ukarine tiles!!! W00t, found like 5 bases so far with lots of helicopters, su-25s, su-27s and mig-29s (and lots on an-26) Also found some of them "forest" shelters, funny to see taxiways end in a hill with pine trees on top. Wow, hi res ukraine, soo great, back to google earth.

Oh I also found 2 giant phased array complexes for missile threat detection. (look like a flat building in an angle, can be seen left of the little runway on the Crimean penninsula (left of Sevastopyl)

BTW, this is like Starfleet Cartography, they also use direct streams to upload astrometric data, heh, guess we didn't have to wait till the 22nd centure for that.

OK, back to my new addiction (I surely do have many now:p)

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Just checking out RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall. I can see a few F-15C and Es at Lakenheath and a load of KC-135s at Mildenhall along with B-52s and an E-3C AWACS.

Also Edwards AFB is a good place to look at. You can see two SR-71s and three F-22s there along with other types. Took a look at Tyndal AFB hoping to see more F-22s but all I could see were around 50-60 Eagles and 11 F-4 drones. Must be a good bit out of date as there should be at least 16 F-22s at Tyndal by now.

Think I've found a new pastime.

SwingKid's Sevastopol Adventure

Thanks!

I finally had a chance to try Google Earth on a Windows XP computer. Many nice high-resolution photos!

In gratitude for those that posted images, here are a few that particularly interested me. In 2003, I rented a car in Sevastopol to see if I could follow a map to Khersones airport (which I had been told was abandoned and open to "visitors"). I never found the airbase, because all the published road maps of this area are, well, basically liars. I kept getting lost and finding all these-walled of areas instead. Now, I can see what was behind those walls! :)

The red area was described by a local as a "shooting range" - not sure for what, infantry, tanks, airplanes..

-SK

route1.jpg.2fa56485ca22ea25d04ab9dff09cd0ff.jpg

route2.jpg.aa4c0666aa23ec04ad9c5524ceabab75.jpg

route3.jpg.330ff9a905114fa33f02a9619cf95c97.jpg

Thanks!

The red area was described by a local as a "shooting range" - not sure for what, infantry, tanks, airplanes..

-SK

If you look to the left of the small runway, you can see the giant nuke detection radar complex, way more impressive than that small antenna (Size does matter here:p)

EDIT:

At the place called "Dolinskaya" I've found This, now this may look like a normal road, but pay attention to those "cycling paths" and give it a thought. (Hint; it has something to do with aircraft :p)

Here is that missile detection complex I was talking about, near Mukacevo, western Ukraine. And here something familiar, next to the runway in Sevastopyl.

686413346_interestingroadinUkraine.thumb.jpg.f71e793303a6f951d0ef8bc181e34b8f.jpg

192111721_missile-radar(westernUkraine).thumb.jpg.feba5cc86ad1a45091d27b3024e05c9b.jpg

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Severomorsk...

Oh man this is much better than NASA's WirlWind :eek: .

Attachments:

1). Severomorsk overview.

2). Severomorsk airfield close-up(aircraft)

3). 2x Udaloy class vessels(positively identifiable).

4). 2x Sovremenny class vessels.

5). 1x Kirov class.

Cheers,

- JJ.

• Like 1

JJ