Some issues with Sea Dragon Mission 9 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 10-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #1
VC

Default Some issues with Sea Dragon Mission 9

I was playing Mission 9 of the Sea Dragon campaign today, the one where you have to defend the carrier battle group from a swarm of angry Hornets. Overall, well designed mission, challenging and fun, I would like to play it a few times as practice... but... there are some elements that don't make sense:

- take off from Batumi. Huh?! No scramble from the carrier? OK
- wait, Batumi is hostile, there's an AA gun right at the end of the runway, both my wingmen are fireballs on the tarmac before I'm even wheels up, lucky it went for them not me. What the?!
- strike incoming to carrier, tons of Harpoons in the air... I'm nowhere near... because I'm still in transit from Batumi! So... why is the take-off there again?

I got into some action eventually, and all but one of the Harpoons was shot down by the ships, but by the time I was done with a dogfight and chasing some Hornets that were running away, I didn't have enough fuel to make the landing. I called it a close win

Is the mission meant to be like this? Shall I stick it in the mission editor and try to correct some of these issues myself?

Last edited by VC; 10-21-2018 at 08:36 PM.
VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:51 AM   #2
MadDog-IC
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC View Post
I was playing Mission 9 of the Sea Dragon campaign today, the one where you have to defend the carrier battle group from a swarm of angry Hornets.

There are some elements that don't make sense:

- take off from Batumi. Huh?! No scramble from the carrier? OK

Is the mission meant to be like this?
Had a look at it, mission wasn't like this originally, a bug seems to have crepted in and the players flight is no longer locking to the carrier as a take off position, it is going to the next available airfield (Batumi) instead.

After a bit of testing, this behavior is due to:
  • The players flight having 3 aircraft assigned for take off, but the carrier (Kuznitsov) only allows 2 take off positions now instead of the 3 that it should allow, the game incorrectly automatically moves it to the next available airport that can support 3 plane flight (Batumi).
A Work around fix is to:
  • Make the players flight 2 aircraft only.
  • Increase the Players Wingman flight from 1 to 2 aircraft and change its take off start time a minute or two after the actual mission start time.
Also noticed:
  • AI Su-33 can't take off with out crashing, Head wind and carrier forward speed no longer help with extra lift and speed.
Will report and and try to get these things corrected.

Regards, Ian.
Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Gigabyte GTX-780 (388.71), Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).
MadDog-IC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
VC

Thank you for the detailed reply, that makes sense. I might try the workaround. I did notice later in the mission that I have a "wingman 4" that took off from the carrier, but he got off the ship fine. He also ran out of fuel though, and quite a bit before me.

Spotted this "moved to nearest airbase that takes 3" in an earlier mission too, the one where you have to co-ordinate bombing Kutaisi. But in that one it didn't break the mission (actually that one is quite easy to win even with wrong start position).

Keep us updated if this gets worked on or hotfixed
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 AM   #4
MadDog-IC
ED Testers Team

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed reply, that makes sense. I might try the workaround. I did notice later in the mission that I have a "wingman 4" that took off from the carrier, but he got off the ship fine. He also ran out of fuel though, and quite a bit before me.

Spotted this "moved to nearest airbase that takes 3" in an earlier mission too

Keep us updated if this gets worked on or hotfixed
No worries, Thanks for letting me know, I will have to check them all again, mission 10 has the same problem also. ;-(

The positioning of the aircraft on the aircraft carrier is fixed internally already, I can now place them in all 3 spots for the players flight of 3 aircraft and have the 4th wingman spawn 2 minutes later on the longer runway, not to say it will stay that way before release.

Aircraft taking off from long runway in position 3 can carry a little extra weight, as they can gather more take off speed in the extra distance.

The AI su-33 take off is still borked by the boat moving at speed, they only take off if approx 2500-3000kg lighter than they use to be and boat is stopped, so awaiting news/fix on that issue.

The amount of fuel is a problem since the PFM came about, as in real life Su-33 they can't take off at maximum weight (33000kg), 30000kg for pos 1 and 2 with (85-90% fuel and weapons) and 32000kg for pos 3 with (96-100% fuel and weapons) is about the best you can get. As for running out of fuel, there is a tanker in missions for resupply, but AI in general is to dumb to break off attacks and refuel when they are bingo.

Regards, Ian.
Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Gigabyte GTX-780 (388.71), Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
VC

So has either the ship speed or the loadout changed in some of the missions? Or is there just a bug in the interaction at the current speeds/loadouts? I also played Mission 5 (evening take-off F-16 intercept) and had no issues getting airborne, AI followed fine too.

Edit: I noticed the tanker but it's probably not that useful. Mission events unfold quite quickly, especially that air strike, by the time you fly to it and fill up those Hornets are RTB.

Last edited by VC; 10-22-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:34 AM   #6
MadDog-IC
ED Testers Team

Quote:
So has either the ship speed or the loadout changed in some of the missions? Or is there just a bug in the interaction at the current speeds/loadouts? I also played Mission 5 (evening take-off F-16 intercept) and had no issues getting airborne, AI followed fine too.
No change in ship speed doing 50+ KPH, but AI planes taking off, don't get that speed added to there initial speed but more like it gets substracted from there initial speed, so it is like 0 or -50 KPH, Where as if the boat is stationary the ai plane gets more speed to take off, no difference on the stats bar of speed, looks the same on take off, so its a wierd one.

No change in loadouts either, still same overall take off weight.

Checked all missions now, and some AI was most likely light enough to be able to take off under problem conditions, remember one.

I even tried taking off in some of the missions with 100 fuel and weapons around the 32000kg mark and I crashed every time, that would be in mission 5 also, so I don't know how you managed that, well done. Mind you I am running an internal DCS test version so that might be different to your stable or beta.

Regarding the tankers, they have to be put out of the way in general, other wise they always get shot down, I tried to program them so that they come into the path of you returning back to the carrier, later in the mission, hopefully after you have taken out the objectives.

Regards, Ian.

Last edited by MadDog-IC; 10-22-2018 at 10:38 AM.