BATTERY

GumidekCZ

Yesterday, I did night landing in MP with my friends and I depleted battery soon with some of circuits ON after shutdown. Therefore, I thought, that connecting external power would kick my instruments, lights and ignition back alive. Nevertheless, nothing happened at all.

Did something wrong or it should be like this, or is it bug?

Yesterday, I did night landing in MP with my friends and I depleted battery soon with some of circuits ON after shutdown. Therefore, I thought, that connecting external power would kick my instruments, lights and ignition back alive. Nevertheless, nothing happened at all.

Did something wrong or it should be like this, or is it bug?

External power should get your electrics going again, so either you did something wrong or there is indeed a bug.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I tried using the Instant Action "Take-off" mission. I cut the engine and left all electrical loads ON. The battery discharged and lights & instruments were dead. Then I tried:

1. Start the engine: the engine would not ignite. I would have thought that even with an empty battery, the generator would supply sufficient power to provide ignition (like you used to be able to start the engine of your car with some people pushing).

2. with Ground Electric Power ON

Lights and instruments were still dead.

I still could not start the engine.

3. With ground electric power OFF, I requested repair, hoping that they would swap out the dead battery; but nothing happened.

It seems that a discharged battery is the end of the story. I would state that this is totally unrealistic, and therefore to be considered as a BUG.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

• 4 years later...
On 10/10/2018 at 11:35 AM, LeCuvier said:

1. Start the engine: the engine would not ignite. I would have thought that even with an empty battery, the generator would supply sufficient power to provide ignition (like you used to be able to start the engine of your car with some people pushing).

In fact, you don't need a battery nor usually any ground power at all to run the engine, power is provided by magnetos and those are independent mechanical devices for the same reason, you just need gas on the tank to run the plane, nothing more. And specially on 109 were fly wheel is ran by ground crew cranking up a shaft by hand. A plane is not a car. You need power supply only in planes which run electric starter engines without the hand cranking possibility. So yes, something's going on there.

• Like 2

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

If your batter is depleted you will not start engine in K-4 despite fact that you can crank engine via inertia starter.

First main thing which prevent engine starting is lack of ignition system being energized by battery, remember  that at slow crank engine speed magnetos aren't capable of producing spark, so ignition system needs help there from battery, second thing is fuel pumps, those require electric power too.

Thing that ground power do nothing as well as running repair is obvious bug.

Edited by grafspee
  • Like 1

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor