Mig-21BIS File Size

VampireNZ

I was just wondering if there was any possibility of slimming down the default-installed MiG-21BIS aircraft file size?

As you can see in the attached pic showing all folders in the CoreMods folder - the Mig-21 takes up 6.0GB, just for some A.I liveries, I don't even own the module!

Granted the F-14 is pretty high also, but at least I own that module so actually use the liveries, and they only amount to 3.2GB.

1358398296_DCSSize.thumb.png.158663b2d5220d91cd9adef391a3142e.png

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Holy m.... Never realized. Should be posted in the Magnitude forum though.

Just having a peak, and for several, a single texture is 264Mb!? Maybe not have them 8192 x 8192 and save 400% or so?

Not sure why, cause other 8192 x 8192 are 'only' 43mb?

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Yes waste of space with those textures sizes....and I play in 4k.

Going to try to resize those big ones....0.5gb skin !!!!

Thanks for heads up.

Edit....after 50% resize in paint down to 2.2gb total folder size!

Edited by aceviper

Yeah you can do that - but you really need to do it in a Mod that you enable every patch...because next update we will be back up to 6GB.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I hear you...and having to download the full size textures at every update.

We need a moderator to move this to appropriate forum and have the devs make it permanent.

Imagine loading up a few of these 8k textures...filling up vram...causing performance issues when full.

These 8k textures are overkill and not needed...the model isnt that high quality.

You can always turn on directory compression — if it's for some assets you will rarely touch, it won't exactly cause any performance issues. Not quite as effective as just getting rid of it completely, but avoids the whole modding/constant replacement problem.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

In one of their season updates they mentioned working on this with the he new cockpit and splitting textures into 2K

Aah that's good to hear, thanks.

@aceviper - Yes I opened this thread in the ED section as it is up to ED to control the size of 3rd party modules in an effort to keep the size of the overall 'sim' down to a manageable level.

I am sure if it was just up to each 3rd party to suit themselves then everyone would think their aircraft 'needed' 8k textures - and the final size of DCS World would be ridiculous.

With new modules, carriers and terrains planned for release, I thought I might keep a closer eye on the total install size, since DCSW resided on my C: drive.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Bump

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes. Nothing has changed since the last time mentioned. Rudel is adjusting model and textures. Once done with that he will look into liveries to see what can be done.

AMD Ryzen 5900X @ 4.95 Ghz / Asus Crosshair VII X470 / 32 GB DDR4 3600 Mhz Cl16 / Radeon 6800XT / Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD / Creative SoundBlaster AE-9 / HP Reverb G2 / VIRPIL T-50CM /
Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

Yes. Nothing has changed since the last time mentioned. Rudel is adjusting model and textures. Once done with that he will look into liveries to see what can be done.

Thanks for the update - if I could give a suggestion as to 'what can be done'. They could be halved in size which would make a huge difference.

Perhaps if the artist would like to maintain his high-def skins then they could be offered as an additional mod download for customers should they desire.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 months later...

I was thinking way back when I was noticing this, of making sub-modules, like optional livery packs to download, so they're not downloaded automatically when installing a fresh free version of DCS. This is something the main core DCS has to first support. If you don't have a livery that's used in a mission or multiplayer the system would need to use some other replacement one and warn you about it, for example.

I did move eventually to a 250GB SSD just for DCS as I took the sim more seriously and reserved more funds so I kinda didn't put this issue up anymore that much, but I can see this being a problem in the future with a lot more space taken by graphics and all the modding and stuff, we'll just have to be used to 1 TB for DCS :)

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 4 months later...

Thank You for finally reducing the texture sizes to a realistic level. Much appreciated.....thou I still think it was all a sneaky ploy to get ppl to buy the module seeing as how it was hogging their M2 drive anyway lol...which I did, and I do quite enjoy it so not a complete loss!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]