The Specular Lighting Thread: For Skin Artists

-Rudel-

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AO?...there is AO in DCS?as I understand, AO in DCS is fully pre-baked in textures...anyway, doesn't seem to work like that...you can test yorself and will see how the green and blue channels do nothing (from pure white to pure black) and red does both things, specularity (shine) and metallicness at the same time (black perfect matte, white extreme shine and metallicness) so I can't make a high shiny surface without being metallic.

Take a look at my MODS here

under PBR, Red Controls A.O.

The issue you might be having is if Aircraft Use a JSON File, then none of the channels are standardized and can be reversed or off set due to specular contrast and output, etc etc.

The Spitfire uses a JSON FILE to convert a Specular File to a PBR Input Values.

SO,

RED = AMBIENT OCCLUSION (WHITE = NONE, BLACK = SHADOW)

GREEN = ROUGHNESS

BLUE = METALLIC

The Issue you are having an Issue w/ is the JSON applies a Contrast and Output value to those channels.

So White = Metallic may actually be inverted (White = Dieletric), like the F-86F JOSN Does.

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

And using the users Spitfire problem on the previous page.

PBR has Nothing to do w/ Deferring Shading,

Deferred Shading and Lighting is just a different method of which shaders and lighting on the object are applied (after the rendering pass for example.)

PBR is a Rendering Standard, that Renders Objects Realistically based on Real World Properties. (ROUGHNESS (aka Micro Surface), METALLICNESS (Reflectivity) for Example),

Where Previously DCS World Used Specular Power, Specular Width, Specular Color, Glossiness, Reflection, Reflection Focus/Blur to Render and Object Surface (Of Which were hardcoded into the Model before exporting from 3DS Max).

Look at the Spec file and it will tell you everything you need.

A 1.5.7 Specular File will not render the Same in 2.1, due to the Changes of the Rendering System.

CHANNELS_RED.jpg.93c5bd4bd90c91d8220df0444830e29e.jpg

CHANNELS_GREEN.jpg.7152d69a3e6b262122e7fd8699c9baee.jpg

CHANNELS_BLUE.jpg.eb77ad938b8fd7697c9d47155febe9ec.jpg

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

thanks for the reply mate but, not sure if I didn't express myself correctly or what but I know it uses PBR, the problem is in the last update for the 2.1 (thus PBR) specular maps don't have same propieters than before...I made a fix for the su-27 speculars here where I could adjust INDEPENDENTLY metallicness (with the blue rgb channel) and specularity (with green channel)...since last update this is no longer possible and only red channel seems to work for BOTH things at the same time so when you increase one, also increase the other...thus, you cant have high specularity without an extreme metallicness...I wonder if this could be a bug from the MAX model materials??

thanks!

In DCS 2.1+ the solution maybe alter the JSON file for use with you livery only or move to roughmet materials.

I was having problem with my skin, solved using roughmet maps: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193673

The only problem is that roughmets must be activated with default livery to work correctly, so you must create and provide roughmets for this too (maybe only the P-51 is already roughmet by default) with a proper description.lua.

BTW, Skatezilla is a guru in this, surely can be more helpful than me:D:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193596

MainMenulogo.png.6e3b585a30c5c1ba684bc2d91f3e37f0.png

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

ACER Predator XB281HK: 28" TN G-SYNC 4K@60hz

ThrustMaster Warthog Hotas, TPR, MFD Cougar Pack, HP Reverb Pro

Are you using Spec or RoughMet?

I have no idea what "RoughMet" is mate??:cry: so I guess Spec, as the only thing I edited is specular DDS files...

under PBR, Red Controls A.O.

The issue you might be having is if Aircraft Use a JSON File, then none of the channels are standardized and can be reversed or off set due to specular contrast and output, etc etc.

The Spitfire uses a JSON FILE to convert a Specular File to a PBR Input Values.

SO,

RED = AMBIENT OCCLUSION (WHITE = NONE, BLACK = SHADOW)

GREEN = ROUGHNESS

BLUE = METALLIC

The Issue you are having an Issue w/ is the JSON applies a Contrast and Output value to those channels.

So White = Metallic may actually be inverted (White = Dieletric), like the F-86F JOSN Does.

About the red channel A.O., just to make thing clear, are you talking about "ambient occlusion"?? if so, how is that supposed to work in a texture file?¿?¿?:huh: sorry but it has no sense to me as AO is a method for indirect illumination and has nothing to do with textures other than pre-bake it in those textures which also makes no sense to me when we are talking about "specular maps" and not the diffuse maps...could you please explain this a bit more?.

Also, exactly what is "ROUGHNESS"??I guess is the level of specular "shine" right? but without a metallic finish, like a very polished plastic??

Also, I don't think the channels are inverted as pure black makes a perfect matte material so white is the way to go to make shines/metaliicness, etc.

Have no idea about the JSON file, will have to take a look at that...

In DCS 2.1+ the solution maybe alter the JSON file for use with you livery only or move to roughmet materials.

I was having problem with my skin, solved using roughmet maps: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193673

The only problem is that roughmets must be activated with default livery to work correctly, so you must create and provide roughmets for this too (maybe only the P-51 is already roughmet by default) with a proper description.lua.

BTW, Skatezilla is a guru in this, surely can be more helpful than me:D:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193596

I will have to see what is that "roughmet materials" thing as I have no idea...is a different way of applying speculars to surfaces??...btw, the problem you had with the viggen is EXACTLY what Im facing now in the su-27, it looks good in the sun side but the shadow side look waaaay to metallic so I will have to see how did you fixed it, thanks a lot!!:)

Ok, I'm having an issue when triying to enable the roughmet material in DCS...after reading pretty much all what is available about it, I just decided to make a test just to "enable" this new way of doing speculars but for some reason, it doesn't work fine.

This is what I did:

-Used some custom specular maps of the su-27 and renamed all them as Su27_Tex0X_RoughMet where "X" is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 for different files and Su-27_detail_RoughMetal for the metal parts.

-Dropped those files in to the su-27.zip file as Skatezilla said that in order to be able to enable the roughmet slots, you need to also give first roughmet textures for the default diffuse textures of the plane, thats also why I named them that way as the diffuses are named as "Su27_Tex0X".

This is how the su-27.zip file looks like:

1508328992-sfdths.jpg

pretty much like the p-51D folder I think.

The problem is once I load DCS to test how the custom speculars DDS files look in the roughmet system, ALL of the skins I have (even the default ones) look like if files are messed, I mean, like if they were named wrong and DCS is applying a tex01 file to a tex02 material type but thing is, THEY ARE CORRECTLY named and the specular files for the tex01 are correct for the 01 type material so I have no idea whats going on...at the same time, you can clearly see that roughmet system is being applied as the speculars look like Skate said it would (darker due to the red channel being dominant) so no clue whats wrong...also, the diffuses are the files being messed and not necessarily the speculars (roughmet), how is that possible?? I didnt make any change to the diffuses!!:huh:...this is how they look:

1508328262-dcs-2017-10-18-13-59-35-85.jpg

1508328260-dcs-2017-10-18-13-59-50-10.jpg

1508328259-dcs-2017-10-18-14-00-15-97.jpg

what am I doing wrong?...thanks!!

Edited by watermanpc

Did you update the description.luas to have roughmet lines?

Step Four:

Liveries Description.LUA

As with Speculars, any Custom Livery that does NOT have a RoughMet Defined will continue to use the default one the sim loads first.

I have experienced some issues where the incorrect RoughMet is loaded for some materials, So I Defined the Default one in the Livery's LUA to Eliminate the Problem.

ie Note the "True", telling DCS To Scan Other Mounted Folders.:

{"F-18EFG_001", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"F-18E_001_DIFF_RoughMet", true},

If you would Like a Custom RoughMet for a Livery, you must define it in the description.lua as follows:

{"MATERIAL NAME", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"TEXTURE NAME_RoughMet", false},

For Example:

{"F-18EFG_001", 0,"F-18E-01-BOEING-DIF", false},
{"F-18EFG_001", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"F-18E-01-BOEING-DIF_RoughMet", false},

Edited by SkateZilla

Well, I only edited one description.lua, the "air force standard", now it looks like this:

livery = {

{"su27_tex01", 0 ,"Su27_tex01",true};

{"su27_tex01", 3 ,"empty",true};

{"su27_tex01_BN31", 0 ,"Su27_tex01",true};

{"su27_tex01_BN31", 3 ,"Su-27_numbers_red",true};

{"su27_tex01_BN32", 0 ,"Su27_tex01",true};

{"su27_tex01_BN32", 3 ,"Su-27_numbers_red",true};

{"su27_tex02", 0 ,"Su27_tex02",true};

{"su27_tex02_compos", 0 ,"Su27_tex02",true};

{"su27_tex03", 0 ,"Su27_tex03",true};

{"su27_tex03_compos", 0 ,"Su27_tex03",true};

{"su27_tex03_compos", 3 ,"Su-27_decol",true};

{"su27_tex04", 0 ,"Su27_tex04",true};

{"su27_tex04", 3 ,"Su-27_decol",true};

{"su27_tex05", 0 ,"Su27_tex05",true};

{"su27_tex05", 3 ,"Su-27_decol",true};

{"su27_tex06", 0 ,"Su27_tex06",true};

{"su27_tex06", 3 ,"Su-27_decol",true};

{"su27_tex07", 0 ,"Su27_tex07",true};

{"su27_nose_numbers", 0 ,"Su-27_numbers_red",true};

{"su27_tail_numbers", 0 ,"Su-27_numbers_red",true};

{"su27_tail_numbers_top", 0 ,"empty",true};

{"su27_tail_numbers_down", 0 ,"empty",true};

{"su27_detail", 0 ,"Su-27_detail",true};

{"su27_detail_compos", 0 ,"Su-27_detail",true};

{"su27_tex01", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex01_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex02", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex02_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex03", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex03_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex04", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex04_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex05", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex05_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex06", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex06_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex07", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex07_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_detail", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su-27_detail_RoughMet",true};

}

name_ru = "ВВС России (стандартная)"

countries = {"RUS"}

I used "true" for the roughmet for this skin because as it's a default one I guess this is the way to do it correctly right?

The thing is I guess in order to make every skin to use roughmet you will need to edit every single description.lua, which I didn't do, BUT 3 things to note here:

1-Even if I don't edit the lua file of an skin to use roughmet, shouldn't it just use the default "spacular maps" system instead of look messed??

2- If the "air force standard" skin has its own roughmet dds files correctly installed inside the su27.zip file, has its correctly edited description.lua file (check if its really correct above) and it's one of the default skins which is needed to make roughtmet to run I guess that at least this skin should work fine right?, but its not the case :huh:.

3- For some reason, ALL skins are messed once I drop the roughmet files inside the su27.zip folder, even when they have their own "normal" specular maps (no roughmet) and have an UNedited description.lua which I find odd...should'nt they remain unaffected??

So basically, I'm just trying to make ONE skin to use roughmet ("air force standard" skin in this case) which is also one of the default ones (so roughmet should be enabled) and I also edited its description.lua as you can read above...as I said something is "working" as skins are now messed and I would also swear that roughmet is working due to the way the the skins look but the DIFUSES are messed (vertical stabs are pasted in wings, wings are pasted in nose, etc.) how is all this possible?

thanks!!

no, if you enabled RoughMet Channel w/ RoughMet for default Textures,

Every Livery must be updated to use RoughMets.

Outside of Telling the Engine which RoughMet to use on each livery via descriiption.lua, the Engine will not know which one as the diffuse texture names change w/ each livery, so there's no match.

Edited by SkateZilla

Ok, you mean that if I use roughmet for DEFAULT textures then I have to also make ALL other skins to use also roughtmet right?...but then how can I use roughmet ONLY in one particular skin?? you said it was possible but also said that: "RoughMet Slot isnt Loaded for liveries unless the default Diffuse Textures also have their own RoughMets, so when the Textures Folder is Scanned it enables the slot/texture channel."...then it has no sense to me or there is a contradiction unless the only way to make roughmet to work is using it for default textures (to enable it as you said) and also edit ALL other skins to also use it so the textures don't mess right?...sorry but this is quite confusing :cry:

I would love if you could make an example with the su-27 to make it use roughmet in one skin, please.

thanks!!

In Order for the Sim to Enable RoughMet's, the Default textures Must have them,

Once RoughMet's are enabled, it's enabled on the MODEL, therefore all Liveries,

If a Livery Description File does NOT have RoughMet's defined, then they will not load correctly, as they are linked via Texture Name, and each livery has a different file name.

So The Liveries Must all be updated to use default RoughMet's correctly by adding them to the description lua.

Try using "false" for the roughmet files as they are in the same folder.

on ma mobile

Thanks, tried that way but then all the skin look with the placeholder textures with the text "missing texture".

In Order for the Sim to Enable RoughMet's, the Default textures Must have them,

Once RoughMet's are enabled, it's enabled on the MODEL, therefore all Liveries,

If a Livery Description File does NOT have RoughMet's defined, then they will not load correctly, as they are linked via Texture Name, and each livery has a different file name.

So The Liveries Must all be updated to use default RoughMet's correctly by adding them to the description lua.

Ok, I tried doing the following:

-Moved ALL the skins from the Bazar/liveries/su-27 folder EXCEPT the 5 default ones (AF Standard, AF Standard early, AF Ukraine Standard, Kubinka AFB and Lypetsk AFB). This is for testing purposes so I dont have to edit all my numerous skins to make tests, so no other skin is messing things.

-Realized that I forgot to include roughmet dds files for one of the default skins included in the su-27.zip file (ukranian one) so I included that one also.

-Named all them accordingly to the particular "sintax" for that skin (uaf/vit/for...), for example "Su27_tex01_for_RoughMet" or "Su27_tex05_uaf_RoughMet" among others.

-Edited ALL the description.lua files for every of those default skins adding the roughmet lines accordingly to their specific nomenclature, for example for the uaf skin:

{"su27_tex01", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex01_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex02", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex02_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex03", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex03_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex04", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex04_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex05", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex05_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex06", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex06_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex07", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex07_uaf_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_detail", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su-27_detail_uaf_RoughMet",true};

-Added the non roughmet dds files for speculars to all description.lua files (all of them pointing to the same files as they are shared for all the skins) looking like this:

{"su27_tex01", 2 ,"Su27_tex01_SPC",true};

{"su27_tex02", 2 ,"Su27_tex02_SPC",true};

{"su27_tex03", 2 ,"Su27_tex03_SPC",true};

{"su27_tex04", 2 ,"Su27_tex04_SPC",true};

{"su27_tex05", 2 ,"Su27_tex05_SPC",true};

{"su27_tex06", 2 ,"Su27_tex06_SPC",true};

{"su27_tex07", 2 ,"Su27_tex07_SPC",true};

{"su27_detail", 2 ,"Su-27_detail_SPC",true};

Sadly, while the problem improved a bit (now some parts of the plane have correct textures) they are still messed!!! :gun_rifle: and even flicker swapping with other textures when I move the camera:

1508364401-dcs-2017-10-19-00-01-44-05.jpg

moving camera slightly:

1508366040-dcs-2017-10-19-00-01-46-05.jpg

the russian knights skin looks especially wrong, don't know why...

1508366037-dcs-2017-10-19-00-02-16-38.jpg

I have done lots of combinations but nothing seems to work...don't know what else to try if deleting all skins from the skins folder except the ones in the zip file, using one roughmet file for each one and adding the lines for pointing to them in every description file doesnt work then the only thing I can think othat might be wrong is the serial numbers or something like that, but I don't know how can I add roughmet files for those textures...

thanks all!

Edited by watermanpc

For Viggen I haven't declared the specular in default livery, the naming convenction is only needed for the default roughmet in textures folder, just for make the sim aware of their presence and load them.

Maybe these description.lua can help, you can compare with the AJS-37 present in DCS install:

-Default livery "37"

Roughmet in textures folder

livery = {

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_T", 0 ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_T",false};

--Roughmet

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_T", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_T_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_L_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_R", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_R_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_L", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"LNS_VIG_WING_L_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_R", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"LNS_VIG_WING_R_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_PYLONS_02", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Pilon_01_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_Pylons_01", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Pilon_02_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_WING_PYLONS", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Pilon_03_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_OUTER_PYLONS", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Pilon_04_Roughmet",true};

{"LNS_VIG_XTANK", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC , "ln_vig_xtankr_Roughmet", true};

}

name = "#1 M90 F15 Hälsinge Flygflottilj"

--countries = {"USA", "RUS", "FRA", "UKR", "SPN", "NETH", "TUR", "BEL", "GER", "NOR", "CAN", "DEN", "UK", "GRG", "ISR", "ABH", "RSO"}

-Default livery "Bare Metal"

Roughmet in Livery folder

livery = {

--Diffuse -----------------------------------

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_T", 0 ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_T",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L", 0 ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_L",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_R", 0 ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_R",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_L", 0 ,"LNS_VIG_WING_L",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_R", 0 ,"LNS_VIG_WING_L",false};

--Specular -----------------------------------

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_L", 2 ,"LNS_VIG_WING_L_S",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_R", 2 ,"LNS_VIG_WING_L_S",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L", 2 ,"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L_S",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_R", 2 ,"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L_S",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_T", 2 ,"LNS_VIG_FUSELAGE_T_S",false};

--Pylons -------------------------------------

{"LNS_VIG_PYLONS_02", 0 ,"Pilon_01",false};

{"LNS_VIG_Pylons_01", 0 ,"Pilon_02",false};

{"LNS_VIG_WING_PYLONS", 0 ,"Pilon_03",false};

{"LNS_VIG_OUTER_PYLONS ", 0 ,"Pilon_04",false};

{"LNS_VIG_PYLONS_02", 2 ,"BaseSpec",false};

{"LNS_VIG_Pylons_01", 2 ,"BaseSpec",false};

{"LNS_VIG_WING_PYLONS", 2 ,"BaseSpec",false};

{"LNS_VIG_OUTER_PYLONS ", 2 ,"BaseSpec",false};

--[[ Material Names are as follows:

LNS_VIG_PYLONS_02 (Pilon01.psd)

LNS_VIG_Pylons_01 (Pilon02.psd)

LNS_VIG_WING_PYLONS (Pilon03.psd)

LNS_VIG_OUTER_PYLONS (Pilon04.psd)

--]]

--Roughmet

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_L", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet2",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_WING_R", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet2",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_L", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet4",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_R", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet4",false};

{"LNS_VIG_EXT_FUS_T", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet2",false};

{"LNS_VIG_PYLONS_02", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet",false};

{"LNS_VIG_Pylons_01", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet",false};

{"LNS_VIG_WING_PYLONS", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet",false};

{"LNS_VIG_OUTER_PYLONS", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC ,"Roughmet",false};

{"LNS_VIG_XTANK", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC , "Roughmet2", false};

}

name = "#2 Bare Metal F7 Skaraborgs Flygflottilj"

--countries = {"USA", "FRA", "UKR", "SPN", "NETH", "TUR", "BEL", "GER", "NOR", "CAN", "DEN", "UK", "GRG", "ISR", "ABH", "RSO"}

ACER Predator Orion 9000: W10H | Intel i9-7900X OC@4.5Ghz | 8x16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | Sapphire GTX1080TI | Intel 900P 480GB | Intel 600P 256GB | HP EX950 1TB | Seagate Firecuda 2TB

Thanks for the reply Automan!, finally I could solve the issue...there were 2 problems:

1- Faulting code for numbers and such, adding the next few lines is needed:

{"su27_tex01_BN31", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex01_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex01_BN32", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex01_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex02_compos", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex02_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_tex03_compos", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su27_tex03_RoughMet",true};

{"su27_detail_compos", ROUGHNESS_METALLIC,"Su-27_detail_RoughMet",true};

2- I made a "sneaky" mistake that had been driving me crazy until I noticed it, it was a damn typo mistake:

"Su27_detail_RoughMet" instead of "Su-27_detail_RoughMet"

Everything works fine now! :)

Anyway, after testing with the roughmet, I wonder a few things now:

1- Is there any VISUAL improvement by using this new tech?

2- Having to edit ALL skins descriptions.lua files in order to make them work once you "enable" roughmet is a total pain...I assume when 2.5 arrives, ED will get rid of the old specular system replacing it with the roughmet one right? so we don't have to mess with both things (though all skins will have to be edited to work with roughmet)

3- Exactly what is the purpose of the red channel in roughmet?, I mean, A.O. baked in textures is not the same as baking it in the red channel of the roughmet??

thanks all!!

EDIT: I have just noticed something...how is it possible that the su-27 description.lua's dont have any code for the default (non roughmet) Specular maps and they work fine?¿?¿?¿?:huh:...other planes have code for the specular maps in order to use them (the number "2" in the second attribute if I'm no mistaken)...I mean, shouldn't be necessary to include in the description.lua something like this?:

{"su27_detail", 2 ,"Su27_detail_SPC",true};

however there is no such code in the su-27 luas for any of the skins and when roughmet is disabled they use specular maps correctly...how is that possible??

Edited by watermanpc

EDIT: I have just noticed something...how is it possible that the su-27 description.lua's dont have any code for the default (non roughmet) Specular maps and they work fine?¿?¿?¿?:huh:...other planes have code for the specular maps in order to use them (the number "2" in the second attribute if I'm no mistaken)...I mean, shouldn't be necessary to include in the description.lua something like this?:

{"su27_detail", 2 ,"Su27_detail_SPC",true};

however there is no such code in the su-27 luas for any of the skins and when roughmet is disabled they use specular maps correctly...how is that possible??

All the texture naming are already embedded in the EDM model file. Description.lua for the first default skin is more or less a placeholder.

In description.lua should be declared only definitions for textures different from default ones and present in the respective livery folder: the only exception is for roughmet for now

Gives the AO a more dynimc lighting effect in the channel.

on ma mobile

All the texture naming are already embedded in the EDM model file. Description.lua for the first default skin is more or less a placeholder.

In description.lua should be declared only definitions for textures different from default ones and present in the respective livery folder: the only exception is for roughmet for now

Ok, thanks both mates!!:)

Anyone knows if there is any way to achieve "self reflections" with the speculars right now in DCS?? I mean this:

1508878076-mig29-01-large.jpg

I guess the answer is no, as guess this is something in the 3d engine but just in case...it would be the icing on the cake for planes material rendering and the definitive step to full material rendering realism for DCS imho...