VCR Controls Needed DESPERATELY

DERacing

DCS, we really need to have the replay function of the sim updated.

A set of on screen VCR type controls that we can toggle on or off would be awesome!!!

It cannot be that hard to do as there are many other sims out there that have the capability and have had for years.

Taking screenshots, videos etc would be so much easier.

I have found that although I fly in VR, if I do my replays in non-VR mode, using only one screen instead of the 3 that I have, I get some really great screen shots and videos.

However, not having better control over this is cumbersome. I dont know how some of the producers out there suffer through the current system other than actually recording everything in real time via OBS, Shadowplay or some other system.

I'll give an example. I run the Nascar Racing 2003 series, still today, as well as iRacing. In both, there are the VCR controls, a drop down list of available cameras, ability to select a target car to focus on, locking track view of the target car, etc.

This is one of the biggest drawbacks to the module and it doesnt appear to have had any improvements for several years after looking at the dates of the videos, tutorials and shots of the system.

One other option that would be nice is the ability to remove the on screen overlays. Screenshots can be ruined because of an ill placed JSTAR report, SRS overlay, Chat box, etc. One of the biggest gripes I have is the display of the Jester menu in the F-14 that comes on and never clears off after the selections are completed. The ability to turn that display completely off in replay mode would help out greatly.

One of the tricks I found is renaming the .trk file, to .miz, then running the editor to change some of the camera options, renaming back to .trk, then running the replay. Having the mission editor be able to recognize .trk files would also help a great deal, remove the option of possible corruption, ease up the amount of file management needed to get a replay and save a huge amount of time.

DCS is, imho, the greatest sim to date. I have no problem with purchasing the modules even in early access. I have quite a few that I purchased and have never even sat in yet. But the replay function really kills the ability to have a nice capture system for the flights.

I am sure the rest of the community would back me on the request. Most of us do not stream youtube, twitch, or other vids and this is something we do for fun, not for profit. And I am ok with all the ones who do. Thank you to each and everyone of them.

Aside from that, thank you all again for the best fighter sim yet!

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

What’s a VCR? :megalol:

Yeah I think the ability to pause, rewind etc during replay would be great.

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

What’s a VCR? :megalol:

Yeah I think the ability to pause, rewind etc during replay would be great.

Ok ok... Fair enough.

BLUE RAY PLAYER for you millennial types! :megalol::megalol:

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

Ok ok... Fair enough.

Betamax for those of us oldies who made the wrong choice way back when.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

Just don't go tooooo far back for us really old guys: 8-Track. Hmm. Kinda what we have now, now that I think of it.

i6700k 4.4mhz, 32Gb, nVidia 1080, Odyssey+, CH Products, Derek Speare Designs button box, Bass shaker w/SimShaker For Aviators

You actually didn’t make the wrong choice. Beta was the superior format. Beta was used for years professionally in both TV and Radio.

The force was just stronger with VHS marketing in the consumer segment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

The force was just stronger with VHS marketing in the consumer segment.

It wasn’t marketing. VHS could record 4 hour American football games. That’s why it won out. :smilewink:

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

It wasn’t marketing. VHS could record 4 hour American football games. That’s why it won out. :smilewink:

tenor.png

Ok ok... Fair enough.

Whats bluray these days? :D:D:D Personal digital Mp4 ( or other video format of your choosing) copies placed in cloud storage, or access to content via monthly subscription for a streaming service.

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

My god you guys...

Jokes aside absolutely yes, rewind is essential, skipping to certain times if possible would be fantastic.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Far from it, but whatever...

Veering off topic but yeah that was a big factor. Sony didn’t want to compromise video quality and for commercial use a 60min tape seemed fine. VHS had different recording speeds/quality which stretched recording time out at the expense of quality. But you could get 4 hours into a tape. The length of an American football game. On the average TV of the time the picture quality difference was negligible really.

They fought each other on recording length but VHS kept the lead.

My god you guys...

Jokes aside absolutely yes, rewind is essential, skipping to certain times if possible would be fantastic.

I’m amazed at the quality some people do in their videos despite all these limitations.

I’m amazed at the quality some people do in their videos despite all these limitations.

Oh yeah absolutely, I guess trailers and such are made with shorter 'missions' to make it less painful. But for longer missions? Having to reload the replay and wait until the right moment (probably using timewarp) every single time you want to take the same shot from a different angle, and worse what if you time warp too far? Too bad, back to square one... I think I'd probably explode...

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

One of the easiest and probably the most effective way to create trailers is to script way ahead what you will record by creating scenarios lasting 30 seconds or one minute top. By doing this, you will have a very short track file you can use at will without pulling your hair because you went too far and missed the spot you were looking for. With a clip of 30 seconds, you can reload it as many times as you want and try every angle you can think of. On the plus side, you will have far less chance to have a corrupted track file.

I found that using this workflow will save you a huge amount of time - of course there's still a lot of work to do before even recording and then by editing all the shots you captured.

3rd Wing | 55th Black Alligators * BA-33

Εις ανηρ ουδεις ανηρ