What are the tasks of the Copilot in a Huey?

Rocko

Hi Guys,

with the interactive Copilot coming up, I start thinking what has the Copilot to do in a real Huey, in flight? or whats the checklist for starting up the helicopter from ground.

If someone has a real checklists for both crew members, that would be awesome.

I cannt wait to see this coming alive..........

So IRL it’s not so much pilot, Copilot but more pilot on the controls and pilot not on the controls. The Army uses the term Pilot in Command or PC to denote the pilot in charge of the aircraft the other pilot is just called a Pilot or PI. The norm is actually for the PI to be on the controls most of the time and the PC will just manage the cockpit. However who is and is not on the controls is up to the PC and a lot of the time we try splitting up the flying and managing evenly through the flight.

As for the duties the pilot on the controls

1) fly the aircraft-primary focus outside

2)cross check systems and instruments

3) monitor/transmit on radios as directed by PC

Pilot not on the controls

1)tune radios set transponder and announce changes to the FMS

2)navigate

3)copy clearances, atis and other information

4)cross check systems and instruments

5) monitor/transmit on radios as directed by PC

6)read and complete checklist items as required.

7)set/adjust switches and systems as required

As for the Checklist the only one I can actually find is this https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/9f78cd_ec74ac1a683a41d4a8c792eb63144690.pdf This one seems pretty abbreviated which is probably pretty good for DCS but if you want a lot more detail and clarification on how everything would be done IRL look at chapter 8 in the -10 http:// https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/9f78cd_60998a9ed26b4cbe8a65351e9cc076e9.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Are you ready to take your chopper flying skills to the next level?

Then check out http://www.blacksharkden.com/ Or visit us on Discord https://discord.gg/kaayJ5z and talk to some of our awesome pilots today.

If you have the chance, go read Chickenhawk, which is a book covering a pilots experience during training and action in Vietnam, excellent book.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

in dcs, nothing other than strafing bullets without saying a single word

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Callouts for copilot:

1) Nice landing Sir!

2) I’ll buy the first round!

3) I’ll take the ugly one!

:-)

• Like 1

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

• 4 weeks later...
If you have the chance, go read Chickenhawk, which is a book covering a pilots experience during training and action in Vietnam, excellent book.

Hey so I love Chickenhawk, one of my all time favorite books. There is another book out there that is historical fiction about a Huey pilot in Vietnam, I read it once many years ago and I'm trying to find it again. It reads much more like an action movie than Chickenhawk but I believe the author was a pilot in Vietnam and it is drawn from his experiences. Can you possibly help me with the title? Amazon recommendations based on Chickenhawk just haven't turned it up for me and it's driving me crazy I can't think of the title.

• 3 years later...

Ehh...  Tune radio to whatever channel plays "Fortunate Son".

Crank it up.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 10/26/2019 at 12:38 PM, Gunnars Driver said:

Callouts for copilot:

1) Nice landing Sir!

2) I’ll buy the first round!

3) I’ll take the ugly one!

🙂

LOL I Knew 50 Guys just like you in the Military. Funny very Funny

In My Huey he works the phew phew gun and I operate the launchers. He does whatever I tell him to do and when I tell him Our Huey needs Blinker Fluid for the Nav lights or Our Huey needs a new PU-55Y Cable he goes to Supply for them EVERYTIME. He pays my Bar Tab at the end of the Night. He put pictures of his Girlfriends on My Huey dash that I steal for my nighttime enjoyment. He Sucks but He's all I got and I think all the time I wonder Why he is needed and just what does he Do?

• Like 1