DCS and Pimax

Wags

Do not kid yourself. Does not work full HD in DCS 2.1, and you think about 8k? Not my stomach hurts with laughter!

Your right. In 2.1 you either have performance and a shimmer mess, or turn on AA and suffer a big performance loss. I fly 1.5 still for that reason

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited about this. The 8K is kind of pie in the sky right now. Yes, the res is better, but not as good as they say because its scaled up. It doesn't even actually give you 200 FOV; it takes the image and stretches it, which is no good for knowing your true position in 3D.

The true hope for hi-res VR in a game like DCS at 90hz is foveated rendering and Pimax won't even include eye-tracking unless they reach their super stretch goal. So they have to get the money and then develop it. I would guess that Oculus and Vive are already deep into the eye-tracking development. If you try to run super high res in VR without foveated rendering, it will absolutely cripple the best equipment on the market.

Believe me, I would love to be wrong. What am I missing?

DCS and Pimax

I'm the same, nicka. I have my doubts but I hope I'm wrong. If I am wrong my CV1 will be for sale and I'll be on board very quickly...otherwise I'll just as happily be waiting for the 2nd Gen Rift/Vive while enjoying my CV1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Sorry guys, I can't get too excited about this. The 8K is kind of pie in the sky right now. Yes, the res is better, but not as good as they say because its scaled up. It doesn't even actually give you 200 FOV; it takes the image and stretches it, which is no good for knowing your true position in 3D.

The true hope for hi-res VR in a game like DCS at 90hz is foveated rendering and Pimax won't even include eye-tracking unless they reach their super stretch goal. So they have to get the money and then develop it. I would guess that Oculus and Vive are already deep into the eye-tracking development. If you try to run super high res in VR without foveated rendering, it will absolutely cripple the best equipment on the market.

Believe me, I would love to be wrong. What am I missing?

There is a guy, who had the possibility to test the prototypes of the Pimax 5K and 8K. He confirmed, that the picture is not stretched and you have the wide field of view in games without any stretching effects at the corners. Here is his summary on his impressions (sorry German language):https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOGnMGQ7gN4&t=134s

To make it short for the 8K:

- no stretching

- no screen door effect

- no god rays

- no ghosting or other effects of low frame rates

- clear picture with possibility to read also small texts

- quality of colors is good, brightness is good

- no problems with tracking

- controllers seemed to be of low quality, but those will be replaced by a new design

The eye-tracking will be developed, no matter if the Kickstarter hits the 3 Mio. stretch goal or not. I think they have a cooperation for this development. Reaching the stretch goals just means that we backers will get it for free. Otherwise we will have to pay for it.

Edited by ram0506

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

To make it short for the 8K:

- no stretching

- no screen door effect

- no god rays

- no ghosting or other effects of low frame rates

- clear picture with possibility to read also small texts

- quality of colors is good, brightness is good

- no problems with tracking

- controllers seemed to be of low quality, but those will be replaced by a new design

The eye-tracking will be developed, no matter if the Kickstarter hits the 3 Mio. stretch goal or not. I think they have a cooperation for this development. Reaching the stretch goals just means that we backers will get it for free. Otherwise we will have to pay for it.

to summarize, CV1 vs 8k there is no one single issue where CV1 have some sort of advantage. Pimax 8K is more or less better in any single aspect so how someone say it is not better?

CV1 don't have support for SLI/CF VR, 8K will have.

Also CV1 don't have eye tracking support 8K will have.

8K will also have handtracking modul so another plus for 8K.

I hate when people trying to convince others in some issues based on fact they did'n even read nothing about tech specs but trolling a lot.

Concern about hardware resources? There is no need to question and compare it with CV1. CV1 is well known as hardware eater and higly depend on super sampeling because of his inferiority in pixel density.

Here is video of Pimax 4K on old i/ on 2.8GHz and GTX 1050 with 2GB VRAM.

CV1 cant imagine to run it on this rig.

to summarize, CV1 vs 8k there is no one single issue where CV1 have some sort of advantage. Pimax 8K is more or less better in any single aspect so how someone say it is not better?

CV1 don't have support for SLI/CF VR, 8K will have.

Also CV1 don't have eye tracking support 8K will have.

8K will also have handtracking modul so another plus for 8K.

I hate when people trying to convince others in some issues based on fact they did'n even read nothing about tech specs but trolling a lot.

true

Concern about hardware resources? There is no need to question and compare it with CV1. CV1 is well known as hardware eater and higly depend on super sampeling because of his inferiority in pixel density.

Just wow, and my thanks for the vid.

Convinces me. That is utterly awesome. The spec is probably worse than my son's laptop.

Have to say that I don't know how Pimax has done it.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Just wow, and my thanks for the vid.

Convinces me. That is utterly awesome. The spec is probably worse than my son's laptop.

Have to say that I don't know how Pimax has done it.

I thought the same...

I am now convinced to move to VR... will start saving for the 8k (may 2018 release?)

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

Well, i have pledged on the 8k on this news. I may be optimistic, but have great faith in results when enthusiasts with skills get down on something.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

I have been playing flight sims since the early 80`s. Allmost all of them. DCS World, In my oppinion, is one of the best if not the best of them. However, played on screen it is still like any other sim. I need more. Flight simming for me was kind of stagnant for some time until I got Vive. WAU! Then Rift, even better(for DCS). Completely new lease on SIMlife. Absolutely no going back. In quick sccession I bought allmost all modules and kept on WAUing. And when I saw the KS news about Pimax8K I jumpped strait onboard an pledged for my unit. Can`t wait. Despite it`s shortcomings at present, VR flight is great and it only gets better. Not seeing all the small text on instruments mostly hurt when learning the module. Once you are familiar with the aircraft, it does not bother me that much. IRL it`s also hard to spot tanksize objects from a fast moving aircraft, so...

What I`m trying to get at is that I`m happy with present and even happier at future. I wouldn`t have spent all this money on modules without VR. BIG SMILE!!!

i9-9900K 4,9Ghz, 2080ti, 32Gb, 1Gb m.2, Index, WinWing throttle, Baur BRD-N, Crosswind pedals, Orbwiever and tm mfd`s, all in a Hornet simpit.

Pimax 8K hands-on in VR Days 10.26

Backed it awhile ago and I'm feeling better about it all the time ........Hope it rings true!

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I have been playing flight sims since the early 80`s. Allmost all of them. DCS World, In my oppinion, is one of the best if not the best of them. However, played on screen it is still like any other sim. I need more. Flight simming for me was kind of stagnant for some time until I got Vive. WAU! Then Rift, even better(for DCS). Completely new lease on SIMlife. Absolutely no going back. In quick sccession I bought allmost all modules and kept on WAUing. And when I saw the KS news about Pimax8K I jumpped strait onboard an pledged for my unit. Can`t wait. Despite it`s shortcomings at present, VR flight is great and it only gets better. Not seeing all the small text on instruments mostly hurt when learning the module. Once you are familiar with the aircraft, it does not bother me that much. IRL it`s also hard to spot tanksize objects from a fast moving aircraft, so...

What I`m trying to get at is that I`m happy with present and even happier at future. I wouldn`t have spent all this money on modules without VR. BIG SMILE!!!

Indeed... can not say it better...

I olso have almost every modulle because of vr... i even bought fc3, i didnt like the non clicable planes, but i bought them just to be able to see them in vr at least 1 time :D

Dcs is a big good simulator, but its gonne grow big thime because of vr i think :) and i like

----------------------------------------------------------

i7 2600K oc 4.7g / asus gtx 1080 gaming x+ / 16gig ram / ssd 500gig / oculus rift / jetseat se / saitek rudder ((next upgrade)mfg crosswind) / logitech warthog hotas + 20cm extention

I guess I am adding this to my "have to have" list now. This really starts to look promising.

• Like 1

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I am still holding strong on not backing this (I will just pay whatever it costs to get the top of the line 8K HMD once it's released and proven with numerous hands on reviews of the final product), but I do have to admit each day I get more and more excited at the prospect of Pimax delivering on what they promise with the 8K. I'd love to have this by mid 2018; when I bought my CV1 a couple months ago I assumed I would be waiting until 2019 for the "next gen big improvement".

Hell, if it comes down to it I will gladly buy another 1080 Ti to run them in SLI to drive the 8K X HMD for DCS.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

I will certainly be keeping an eye on it, will wait till has been out in the public for some time before deciding on my next headset though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

this is my video and and im not backing the 8k yet. the 4k is a nice unit but the difference u will find between the vive and cv1 compared to the pimax units is quality control. if you guys want anymore videos just suggest them to me. my wish atm is that dcs world is natively supported by pimax so i dont have to use oculus software.

this is my video and and im not backing the 8k yet. the 4k is a nice unit but the difference u will find between the vive and cv1 compared to the pimax units is quality control. if you guys want anymore videos just suggest them to me. my wish atm is that dcs world is natively supported by pimax so i dont have to use oculus software.

:thumbup:

:pilotfly:

I remember someone here reporting huge blurriness and picture distortion on edges, bursting the 4k Pimax bubble big time. Your video however proves something totally different. Could you share what are the biggest downsides of this headset then?

What about working with the Windows VR partners? They are better established and have more mature, better backed products. My experience with the Pimax was poor at best. The screens are up scaled from a lower resolution, the lenses and LCDs are of poor quality, the software is amateurish and quite buggy. I don’t understand your decision to pick them as a partner.

+1 to this.

As an Oculus user, I bought the Pimax 4k to see if it was better. It's not. Bad distortion of the projection (turning left/right had a fisheye effect), very bad color gamut, very bad focus everywhere except exact center.

I immediately posted it for sale, but wasn't able to sell it b/c the left eye stopped working. This was after about an hour of use.

I'm VERY excited for the future of VR, but not willing to place a bet on Pimax.

Have the 4k. Don't have the fisheye thing, think it's eye distance dependent. Agree with you on color gamut tough. Mine has also worked fine.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+