Printing NATOPS and Pocket Checklist guide

Sn8ke

About to get these two documents printed. Can someone please advise of the correct paper size for each? Especially to pocket checklist.

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

I'll check the pocket checklist when I get home it has different sized pages and tabs behind each arrow on the cover that you might want to use a heavier paper for as well (I will post a picture showing how they are setup once home as well) the full NATOPS is 8.5"x11" or at least what I printed was. It was a fun project to make still havent gotten the full NATOPS bound yet.

20181012_233734.thumb.jpg.bd08a71f179945b21ebe1af849eb9523.jpg

I'll check the pocket checklist when I get home it has different sized pages and tabs behind each arrow on the cover that you might want to use a heavier paper for as well (I will post a picture showing how they are setup once home as well) the full NATOPS is 8.5"x11" or at least what I printed was. It was a fun project to make still havent gotten the full NATOPS bound yet.

Awesome thanks!!

Asus ROG Maximus X Apex//Core I7 8700K @ 5.3Ghz //32GB DDR4 RAM//Asus 3090 RTX//4K monitor w/ TrackIR 5

I don't suppose you have a link to where I can find the pocket checklist? Thanks.

THIS!!!:music_whistling:

I've this one on my stash: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai6cuX3YQI26gs1I1NBV4xcVtf3gCQ

I'm not very fond of printing thick manuals, besides the cost they are kind of heavy and annoying to have open when at the PC ..

.. I used to have an old iPad 3 as e-book/pdf reader. It worked so well that a year ago I replaced it with an 12.9 inch model, that makes much easier to read the small type ... it looks like this when I'm reading a manual:

O6Oyzsg.png

an electronic book is easy to search, and even if it is a scanning with no OCR you can browse it much faster than a paper book:

7RFNt9Y.png

And you can carry the whole library with you, on less that a single big manual would weight:

fr6TDQg.png

But I can understand that the feeling of the paper and turning the page can have its attraction, it's just that I value practicality :)

Cheers

• Thanks 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Alright, the larger pages are 5"x8" and the smaller pages are 4.5"x8".

All pages up to and including the first tab are 5"x8", then they go to 4.5"x8" with the remaining tabbed pages remaining at 5"x8" I recommend printing the cover to the first tab with heavier stock then making every tab and the last page a heavier stock as well.

Hopefully that all makes sense, if not I will try explaining it better and with more pictures. Anyways here are some other pictures the will hopefully help and some files already set to the right size with cut marks.

First I found this picture while researching a different topic in my typography class a picture of an actual F-14D pocket checklist, it was incredibly helpful in understanding how to assemble the pocket checklist.

https://hess.fm/blog/boldface

(Fairly interesting read in my opinion)

The only thing I couldn't get at the time was the larger piece of blue plastic they use for the back cover.

You can ignore the file called changes if you do not want the list of changes made to the document over time, though it might screw up the page ordering as I left them in my copy.

As another note this is 2001 copy of the checklist so not everything will match up with the aircraft we are getting. If anyone has a more time appropriate B model checklist I'd be interested in seeing it.

Thanks for the idea about the iPad Rudel, I think I will put the full size manual on it for convenience.

Hope this helps.

20190121_191345.thumb.jpg.c64e788df43a50ed6676f6cc8784fc36.jpg

NAVAIR 01-F14AAP-1B Tabs Color.pdf

F14AAP-1B Tabs Removed.pdf

Changes NAVAIR 01-F14AAP-1B.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright, the larger pages are 5"x8" and the smaller pages are 4.5"x8".

All pages up to and including the first tab are 5"x8", then they go to 4.5"x8" with the remaining tabbed pages remaining at 5"x8" I recommend printing the cover to the first tab with heavier stock then making every tab and the last page a heavier stock as well.

Hopefully that all makes sense, if not I will try explaining it better and with more pictures. Anyways here are some other pictures the will hopefully help and some files already set to the right size with cut marks.

First I found this picture while researching a different topic in my typography class a picture of an actual F-14D pocket checklist, it was incredibly helpful in understanding how to assemble the pocket checklist.

https://hess.fm/blog/boldface

(Fairly interesting read in my opinion)

The only thing I couldn't get at the time was the larger piece of blue plastic they use for the back cover.

You can ignore the file called changes if you do not want the list of changes made to the document over time, though it might screw up the page ordering as I left them in my copy.

As another note this is 2001 copy of the checklist so not everything will match up with the aircraft we are getting. If anyone has a more time appropriate B model checklist I'd be interested in seeing it.

Thanks for the idea about the iPad Rudel, I think I will put the full size manual on it for convenience.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your contribution! I am slightly confused, however if I am understanding you correctly, all paper pages up to and including the first tab and 5x8, however for the remainder of the manual (After the 1st tab), all pages are 4.5x8, except all the tabs, which remain at 5x8?

A few more questions:

(1) Would you recommend a custom print shop to do the job

(2) How do you shape/cut the tabs themselves? Thanks!

Thank you for your contribution! I am slightly confused, however if I am understanding you correctly, all paper pages up to and including the first tab and 5x8, however for the remainder of the manual (After the 1st tab), all pages are 4.5x8, except all the tabs, which remain at 5x8?

A few more questions:

(1) Would you recommend a custom print shop to do the job

(2) How do you shape/cut the tabs themselves? Thanks!

You are understanding it correctly.

I would suggest that yes, I made it myself while taking Graphic Communication and Print Technology and having access to things like hydraulic cutters and printing presses made it a nicer product in the end.

The tabs I ended up cutting with a craft knife and a ruler, and just freehanding the corners as our corner rounder was not able to do inside curves and the tabs were not deep enough for the outside corners of the tabs.

Glad I could be of help.

You are understanding it correctly.

I would suggest that yes, I made it myself while taking Graphic Communication and Print Technology and having access to things like hydraulic cutters and printing presses made it a nicer product in the end.

The tabs I ended up cutting with a craft knife and a ruler, and just freehanding the corners as our corner rounder was not able to do inside curves and the tabs were not deep enough for the outside corners of the tabs.

Glad I could be of help.

Thanks! With your assistance I am very grateful for, my project of having a good quality pocket checklist is looking very realistic!