My startup procedure

derelor

In case anyone is interested here is a document containing some my checklists/procedures. I made these notes a while ago when I learned the sim using the training missions.

I decided to publish them to help new members learn this fantastic sim. The checklists are best used in conjunction with the training missions and the flight manual, but they may still be useful as a reference after learning the specific topics. Be aware that the current version of the flight manual unfortunately contains some errors. I started a list with all the errors I found here. I hope ED will update the manual in an upcoming patch!

These are the topics contained in the document (more to follow):

• Startup
  • Taxi and Take-off
  • TACAN
  • Landing
  • Use of AN/AAQ-28 LITENING-II AT targeting pod (TGP)
  • Attack using GAU-8/A Avenger 30mm gun
  • Attack using unguided rockets (in CCIP mode)
  • Employment of unguided (free-fall) bombs using CCIP and CCRP
  • Employment of PGM (LGB/IAM)
  • Employment of AGM-65 Maverick Air-to-Surface Missile
  • Air-to-Air employment using AIM-9M sidewinder missiles

Open issues (please help me resolve them):

• AIM-9M: What exactly is "circular scan and consent to self track" mode ?
    manual p. 387: "The first depression enters scan mode which allows AIM-9 slewing. The next depression commands circular scan and consent to self track, ..."
  • AGM-65: According to the manual TGM-65D/H can also be loaded on a LAU-88 triple rail launcher, but not in the game. See this thread.

Please let me know if there is anything I can improve!

I gained my knowledge mostly from the included training missions, the flight manual, forum posts and video tutorials on YouTube. Big thanks to the community!

Have fun and enjoy this great sim!

Update 04. June 2011:

v1.2: updated startup for DCS A-10C v1.1.0.8

Update 26. June 2011:

v1.3: small improvements and addition of "unguided bombs"

Update 16. August 2011:

v1.4: updated startup for DCS A-10C v1.1.0.9, small fixes

derelor-a10c-all_in_one-v1.4.pdf

derelor-a10c-all_in_one-v1.4 - (dark gray).pdf

Edited by derelor
added v1.1 and individual pdf files
  • Like 5

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

My scramble startup procedure (may skip of few steps or summarize :) - I don't have a cockpit in front of me so this is just by memory.):

All switches on the battery/generator panel UP (except emer-flood if it is day).

Oxygen, cabin pressure, bleed air, CDU power switches up.

Fuel pumps, APU on.

IFCCC JTRS, CICU on.

Radios on

APU should be full power, start first engine.

Countermeasures on.

Nosewheel steering on.

SAS, radar alt switches on.

As soon as first engine is spooled up, if you have a split throttle you can begin taxiing as the second engine goes through its start cycle. It's 2011, GPS was invented in the 1980s, so who needs a full INS alignment? Do an in-flight align. Yes, you can use EAC with an in-flight align, and yes, in flight align stops at 1.4/10.0 (unless you hold still) and you can still use EAC even at that level of alignment. EVERYTHING works normally, and will continue to work normally. In-flight align will even automatically switch to Nav mode for you. Other than turning it on, you don't even have to touch the CDU during start up. Supposedly the downside in-flight align is that it has a high drift rate- but that is only if you lose your connection to the GPS constellation, and I don't know if that is modelled in game. If it is, it's rare.

T-O trim, set flaps, etc.

Start second engine before you take off, unless you are lightly loaded and want an extra little challenge. Once airborne, complete your startup :)

I will often do a realistic startup, but if there is a mission where we are not flying as a group, I will usually do a variation on this scramble-start. Honestly, there is no need that I have ever seen to do a full INS ground align other than for realism. GPS based in-flight align works just fine.

Edited by Speed

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Great checklists! Best single page checklists I've seen to date.

I'm trying to print them to put them in a 8 x 5 kneeboard binder with all my other checklists and data, but the light gray text doesn't print very well even on the best settings on my photo printer. If you could please use a more contrasting color for the white background, it would be much appreciated.

I'd be interested in any other checklist items you have made as well.

Cheers

Great checklists! Best single page checklists I've seen to date.

I'm trying to print them to put them in a 8 x 5 kneeboard binder with all my other checklists and data, but the light gray text doesn't print very well even on the best settings on my photo printer. If you could please use a more contrasting color for the white background, it would be much appreciated.

I'd be interested in any other checklist items you have made as well.

Cheers

Thank you! Try the v2-versions with a darker gray.

I also uploaded my takeoff and TACAN checklist and may upload some more in the future

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

Fuel pumps, APU on.

IFCCC JTRS, CICU on.

Radios on

APU should be full power, start first engine.

Hey Speed,

when I start IFCCC and CICU before the first engine generator light is out on the panel the entire system restarts itself. How are you accomplishing this? Ground power on perhaps?

And derelor excellent work, nice of you to take the time to help others

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey Speed,

when I start IFCCC and CICU before the first engine generator light is out on the panel the entire system restarts itself. How are you accomplishing this? Ground power on perhaps?

And derelor excellent work, nice of you to take the time to help others

The IFCCC, CICU, CDU, etc may restart, but who cares? They restart and so what? Doesn't do anything bad. You start taxiing as soon as you get a single engine fully started if you have a split throttle, otherwise you have to wait till you get both fully started before you immediately begin to taxi.

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Just wanted to say thank you for making this. The layout is very much the way my mind works and how I take notes. :thumbup:

Have to agree here. These are well done and much nicer looking than my own notes. And just when I was wishing for a TGP and it appeared...awesome!

Thanks again.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Fantastic work, just what I was looking for!

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir