Loosing controls bindings all aircraft

Anyone else set up there control bindings only to find they come back another time to fly and the bindings are all skewed. Usually what I get is duel bindings for switches and buttons that are duplicated on the stick and the throttle. For example if I have view up slow bound to the hat switch on the stick and it is say button 20 then button 20 on the throttle will be assigned to the same control. I think I moved the default location for the control saves. Can someone tell me what the default location is for the controls to be saved at? Not sure that has anything to do with this issue it's just a thought. Anyone else ever have this happen? I have the Thrustmaster A-10 Warthog stick and throttle. I don't use the target software and this happens on all of the aircraft that I have.:helpsmilie:

The control config is at Saved Games\DCS World\config\Input

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

What Pinefang describes is unfortunately "normal" when you start using a new module. That's because ED has included default bindings that cause this behaviour. If you you delete the duplicate bindings and then delete or move the "...diff.lua" files that contain your binding changes/additions/deletions, DCS will not find these files and it's like in a new module.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Okay guys, great info. one more question. LT says to put the bindings in the DCS World folder but what if I am flying out of the Open Beta would those bindings go in the open beta folder or do they still go n the DCS World folder? Great info LeCuvier, thank you.

When you save your bindings after a change/add/delete, DCS automatically saves them in a folder under ...\saved games. Open Beta and Stable Release have separate folder trees. For example, the Bf-109 structure in OB on my PC: "C:\Users\hans\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\Bf-109K-4\joystick" and in the joystick folder there are files like "VPC-MongoosT-50 {7F204EB0-8E49-11e7-8001-444553540000}.diff.lua". These files record all additions and deletions of bindings for the respective game controller. Do not try to edit these files with a text editor!

The file name above is automatically assigned by DCS. When you do a "save profile", you can define a file name of your choice. These profile saves are always for one (the selected) game controller. For example I have a profile file "My_VPC_T-50_Base_TMWH-Grip_20180107.diff.lua". It's a good idea to save the profiles for all your game controllers once you have completed your bindings. You can use them to restore your bindings if DCS has screwed them up (which happens occasionally).

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

I've noticed this from time to time too, it seems to happen more with the Spitfire than other modules, but that's anectodal I haven't done any testing to prove it

It normally happens on Multiplayer, I can't think when I've lost the bindings in SP.

Anyway what happens is all the bindings go to default like a new module, as LeCuvier explained

Shutting down and restarting DCS has always cleared the fault and brought back all the keybinds

This has only started in the last week or 2, it will be interesting to see if more people start to experience it

Again as LeCuvier states it's a good idea to copy your bindings and save them elsewhere in case DCS manages to corrupt them, especially if you've invested a lot of time setting them up

• 2 weeks later...
So LeCuvier I'm confused, once I make my bindings and I save it to say F-14b.diff.lua. Where exactly do I save that file to so DCS doesn't change it. Thanks again.

I think he means keeping a copy of it elsewhere. I suppose you can change the attribute to be read-only, but DCS will probably throw an error?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So LeCuvier I'm confused, once I make my bindings and I save it to say F-14b.diff.lua. Where exactly do I save that file to so DCS doesn't change it. Thanks again.

I save it to the same location under Saved Games where the automatically generated files are. But I give them a different name. So if ED changed the automatically generated files you can re-load your own files and save them back to the automatically generated files. This is obviously not a nice process and in my opinion ED should clean up the software so we don't get these undesirable changes. One solution I'd recommend is a user-controlled option that can be ticked to prevent these changes.

If you want to be absolutely sure ED does not change them you can of course save them to a folder that ED doesn't access.

I'm personally rarely affected by the problem because in most cases ED restores the default bindings. I have rigorously removed these defaults from the "default.lua" files in the respective "...\joystick" folders.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier