Complete newbie from Norfolk England

dave-uk

Happy New Year to all.

Thank you for accepting me in your forum. I've played FSX with a very old Microsoft force feedback joystick,

I’ve recently purchased a new PC as my young girls consistently fill the small SSD drive, and I need my own (thats what i told the wife anyway)

The spec:

Processor

- Intel® Core™ i7-9700K Unlocked Processor

- Octa-core

- 3.6 GHz / 4.8 GHz

- 12 MB cache

RAM

- 16 GB DDR4 (3000 MHz)

Graphics card

- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super

- 8 GB GDDR6

Storage

- 2 TB (7200 rpm)

- 256 GB SSD

I’m hoping it will cope with DCS world, I’ve seen many videos on YouTube, and I’m impressed. But it looks extremely complex.

I’ve ordered:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Joystick and Throttle for PC

Atolla USB 3.0 Hub Powered, 11-Port USB 3.0 Extension Splitter7 USB 3.0 Data Ports+4 USB 3.0 Smart Charging Portswith Individual On/Of

Logitech G Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

Oculus Rift S PC-Powered VR Gaming Headset, (its Christmas and i deserve it)

I’ll be back with many questions I’m sure

Stay safe all, and happy flying Dave

Utrinque Paratus

I7-9700K OCTA-CORE 3.6 GHZ / 4.8 GHZ

RAM 32 GB DDR4 (3000 MHZ)

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - 8 GB GDDR6

STORAGE - 2TB SSD - 6 TB SATA

Hi dave-uk,

Welcome to DCS and the forums.

That PC (RTX 2070 Super) is good for a 2K (2560 x 1440) screen on high settings @60+ fps.

It will handle VR, you will need to play with the settings tho to get the balance. DCS is great in VR, it's also one of the largest application for VR. So it's always a balance to find eye-candy vs FPS. You need to hold 45fps min on the Rift with it's technology.

Get all setup in 2D first and lean parts of the aircraft you keen on, you will need to bind extra commands for VR. I.E you cannot see the keyboard. Try to find the mouse to click landing gear. This is were I add a modifier button to the throtte, holding this down you can remap all the buttons again. Giving you double the buttons available witch is good for VR, not so good when starting out and learning the basics and remember all the modifier buttons also.:cry:

Help with General hardware setup (PC Hardware and Related Software) section.

VR setup (Virtual Reality) section

Have fun, take your time and get setup.

Don't get frustrated, it's a bit of a learning cure. Post away in the forum. Many here to help, from aircraft questions to pc and vr setup.

Get up to speed quicker by downloading Chuck's Guides

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

A good Christmas gift you have got for yourself there.

Welcome and enjoy the virtual world dcs has got to offer.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Happy new year there!

You definitely set a nice setup to start with DCS. And as you really start with the VR, I recommend to go for full immersion. So when you are binding controls, only set the real functions to the HOTAS and leave rest of the controls out. As you will be using Oculus touch controllers for cockpit interaction. You can rest the left hand controller on your left leg to have quick and easy access to it. And you will learn every aircraft faster as you are moving hands to operate cockpit different parts at correct times, instead fight with memorizing HOTAS bindings behind multipliers etc.

Be careful as well that what DCS modules you buy, as you might go crazy and but more than one....

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Hello and welcome to DCS

If you an airplane pilot, there are lot's of competent Jockeys and Squads around here.

If you a helicopter pilot or you think about getting closer to Low-Level Heaven, DCS is the best you can get. Feel free to ask me about helicopter related stuff. But I don't know anything about things that need a run-up to fly. :cry: :pilotfly:

Always happy landings ;)

Welcome to DCS!

Your box will be able to run DCS just fine. Very nice setup! Don't feel despondent if you feel like you're not making much progress - the DCS-level modules in the game are extremely complex so consider that learning a DCS aircraft will take every bit as long as a real AF or Navy pilot would take to learn a new aircraft to the point of being competent to fly and fight with it.

Never be afraid to ask questions here on the forum, no matter how basic they may seem - everyone started off as an absolute beginner with every aircraft and the forum here is by and large one of the best gaming forums on the net. Always plenty of people willing to help out.

Most importantly, happy flying! :pilotfly:

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thank you for the welcome Gent's.

Thank you David OC, the link you provided are fantastic, I've already downloaded and printed the Chucks A10 tutorial (im offshore, so free to use the office lazer printer) I'll need to learn the basic terminology, as i have to google "binding controls"

Thanks for the tip on the hand controller too Fri13. Two weeks before im home so time to read read and read. frustratingly my purchases will be home before me, and im impatient to get going

Utrinque Paratus

Welcome to DCS!

Your box will be able to run DCS just fine. Very nice setup! Don't feel despondent if you feel like you're not making much progress - the DCS-level modules in the game are extremely complex so consider that learning a DCS aircraft will take every bit as long as a real AF or Navy pilot would take to learn a new aircraft to the point of being competent to fly and fight with it.

Never be afraid to ask questions here on the forum, no matter how basic they may seem - everyone started off as an absolute beginner with every aircraft and the forum here is by and large one of the best gaming forums on the net. Always plenty of people willing to help out.

Most importantly, happy flying! :pilotfly:

Thanks DarkFire, questions will be forthcoming im sure, im just so looking forward to my first flight

Utrinque Paratus

Forgot to ask gent's, i've downloaded the DCS world on my old PC, so ill need to download again on my new PC, but is it better to use Steam? or direct download? also i know you get 2 free aircraft, but the SU 25 is in Russian, could you recommend a jet to learn in and what modules to buy? with it if any like terrain or add-ones needed. Thanks for your time

Utrinque Paratus

Forgot to ask gent's, i've downloaded the DCS world on my old PC, so ill need to download again on my new PC, but is it better to use Steam? or direct download? also i know you get 2 free aircraft, but the SU 25 is in Russian, could you recommend a jet to learn in and what modules to buy? with it if any like terrain or add-ones needed. Thanks for your time

Generally standalone is better if you dont need it to interface with steam (even there I think you could just add the standalone to the library, but not entirely sure on that) Standalone gets the full purchase price to the developer (With 3rd party ED does take a cut) on steam Valve also takes some of the money and new modules/campaigns and updates are a little earlier than on steam, but these days thats not such a long time anymore.

Modules: You're asking this at the right time as theres currently still the winter sale going on running until the 5th on the website. The Hornet and Persian Gulf Map are a great bundle ( https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/bundles/fa-18c_and_pg_map_bundle/ ) But in the end you should decide on the module that you most want to fly, as that is what keeps you coming back, having fun, and learning. Do you want to do Air to Air, Air to Ground. Stick around for a while or be fast in fast out. Is a large amount of Gas (Flight time) important, modern or more old school?

Edited by Etirion

My personal opinion, and that's really all it is, is that I would recommend the stand alone open beta. Why the stand alone? That version tends to get patches earlier than the steam edition. New modules also tend to be released for the stand alone version somewhat sooner than the Steam edition. The delay isn't as long as it used to be but there is a delay.

Why the open beta? Unlike most games the open beta versions of DCS World is in no way a semi-broken highly experimental mess. DCS Beta is much more of a small scale testbed for new features and early patch work. There have been instances where stuff gets broken but it's always fixed quickly and if I remember correctly the beta track has on occasion been required for early access versions of certain modules.

All that being said, if you want maximum tested reliability and are content to wait a little longer for new stuff there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the Steam version.

I believe (not 100% sure about this as I use the stand alone version) that keys bought on Steam can also be used for the stand-alone modules, but the reverse is NOT true. So, if you're intent on spending money it's best to decide one way or the other and stick to the decision. Neither are bad options.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thank you for the welcome Gent's.

Thank you David OC, the link you provided are fantastic, I've already downloaded and printed the Chucks A10 tutorial (im offshore, so free to use the office lazer printer) I'll need to learn the basic terminology, as i have to google "binding controls"

Thanks for the tip on the hand controller too Fri13. Two weeks before im home so time to read read and read. frustratingly my purchases will be home before me, and im impatient to get going

Hey mate! Welcome aboard!

The A-10 guide is getting re-done from scratch, so stay tuned when the new version goes live a few weeks from now. It should answer even more of your questions.

Thanks you gentlemen, fantastic forum, with so much knowledge and advice. I will be downloading and using the ED standalone installation, and not steam. Thank you for the link Etirion, i've bought the FA 18C and Persian Gulf map, and will be buying more, today, i like the idea of old warbirds, Spitfire, and the Normandy plus WWII asset pack. But really want to learn the jets, but as to what type i dont know, the A-10C is a must as ive bought the thrustmeter combo, and it look bloody awesome. Will buy the

F14 Tomcat, F16C Viper...i can see the list growing, but i need to learn slowly. Massive thank you to Charly Owl, your tutorials are perfect for use newbies. The time you’ve spent researching and writing is very much appreciated. I downloaded the A-10C and did some reading last night in my cabin, my heads a little fried, so much to learn, but one step at a time. I’ll be looking forward to the updated version of the A-10 tutorial, and be looking for some simple missions to start with. All the best Dave

Utrinque Paratus

Dave if there is one piece of advice I wish someone had given me when first getting into DCS it is the following - download & install a program called VoiceAttack. It is free & absolutely the bees knees. It effortlessly allows you to control everything (& I mean everything) simply by SPEAKING commands of your choice - no more trying to remember a gazillion keystrokes/button combinations. It means your HOTAS can be left as close as possible to what it's like in the real aircraft, as it should be. Trust me, it will make your DCS life so much easier. :)

Dave if there is one piece of advice I wish someone had given me when first getting into DCS it is the following - download & install a program called VoiceAttack. It is free & absolutely the bees knees. It effortlessly allows you to control everything (& I mean everything) simply by SPEAKING commands of your choice - no more trying to remember a gazillion keystrokes/button combinations. It means your HOTAS can be left as close as possible to what it's like in the real aircraft, as it should be. Trust me, it will make your DCS life so much easier. :)

Thanks Burger, i'll need some headphones with a microphone too then :D I'll take a look at options, but i'll need some that are comfortable with the VR too

Utrinque Paratus

I have a Rift S & just use the built in speaker/microphone. I often see people complaining about the sound quality of Rift S but it sounds fine to me. And the microphone actually seems to work better than my headset did (admittedly it wasn't a very expensive one) - VoiceAttack seems to pick up my commands better & I've not had any complaints in multiplayer.

Thanks Burger. I can't wait to unpack all the boxes waiting for me, one more week and i'll be home then the fun begins

Utrinque Paratus

Hello Dave.

All of my Lock On/DCS was learnt in a cabin off the East coast, A10A then Black Shark

That was 13 years ago. DCS just gets better.

Good Luck.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

i've bought the FA 18C and Persian Gulf map, and will be buying more, today, i like the idea of old warbirds, Spitfire, and the Normandy plus WWII asset pack. But really want to learn the jets, but as to what type i dont know, the A-10C is a must as ive bought the thrustmeter combo, and it look bloody awesome. Will buy the

F14 Tomcat, F16C Viper...

Welcome to the forums!

One advice: take it a bit easy with the amount of modules first.

Some knowledge transfers well between certain aircraft (especially from the same country) but there are also differences. If you switch around too much, you risk getting confused between aircraft. At least, that's what happens to me...

I'd advise to first choose between American / Russian (or European, which are a bit in-between, depending on the aircraft), and first get the appropriate trainer aircraft (either C101 (west) or Albatros (east)). There is a reason why real pilots start with trainers, and besides, they are great fun to fly in DCS.

Modules: Bf 109, C-101, CE-II, F-5, Gazelle, Huey, Ka-50, Mi-8, MiG-15, MiG-19, MiG-21, Albatros, Viggen, Mirage 2000, Hornet, Yak-52, FC3

Welcome Dave UK.

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

Hello Dave.

All of my Lock On/DCS was learnt in a cabin off the East coast, A10A then Black Shark

That was 13 years ago. DCS just gets better.

Good Luck.

You still offshore mate? Southern Sector?

I gave up on the rigs, now on a vessel for tax reasons :)

Utrinque Paratus

Welcome to the forums!

One advice: take it a bit easy with the amount of modules first.

Some knowledge transfers well between certain aircraft (especially from the same country) but there are also differences. If you switch around too much, you risk getting confused between aircraft. At least, that's what happens to me...

I'd advise to first choose between American / Russian (or European, which are a bit in-between, depending on the aircraft), and first get the appropriate trainer aircraft (either C101 (west) or Albatros (east)). There is a reason why real pilots start with trainers, and besides, they are great fun to fly in DCS.

Thanks Zius, i did go a little mad with my wallet, but the sale was on :) I have the C-101, and that will be my trainer for a while, but im sure i'll have a look at all the others, just to see you understand :megalol:

Utrinque Paratus

I took full advantage of the sale, dont tell the wife

DCS: C-101 Aviojet

A-10C Basic Flight Training Campaign

DCS: A-10C Warthog

DCS: Black Shark 2

DCS: F-14 Tomcat

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3

DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Map

DCS: P-51D Mustang

F/A-18C Aggressors BFM Campaign

Normandy 1944 Map + WWII Assets Pack

Spitfire IX The Big Show Campaign

Spitfire LF Mk. IX Operation Epsom Campaign

The Enemy Within 3.0 Campaign

F/A-18C + Persian Gulf Map

DCS: Spitfire LF Mk. IX

Utrinque Paratus

A very good reason for Open Beta is that the majority of MP servers require Open Beta. If not going online you'd miss out. Without a poll I'd guess 90% use Open Beta, it's not a buggy mess, as "Beta" would suggest, it's really not.

About getting trainer planes. Unlike real life, one can crash and burn indefinitely while learning. Go for the planes you're into.

Grim Reapers warrants a mention. A popular youtube guy who has made tons of DCS videos:

-DCS buyers guide playlist

Also shitloads of tutorials for every plane, from assigning keys, taking off / landing, how to operate it's weapons.

https://grimreapers.net/tutorials/

Intel Core i7 3630QM @ 2.40GHz (Max Turbo Frequency 3.40 GHz) | 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz | 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M | 447GB KINGSTON SA400S37480G (SATA-2 (SSD))