Best Monotor for Huey? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
Fakum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacleyCole View Post
Whynotweight until the Samsung monitor is released if that is the one you want

I certainly could wait, but right now, Im dead in the water. There is no release date set for that monitor,,,, could be next spring for all I know. There was a comment that it might be released this December,,, but that is a might!

Also, I believe your referring to the LG correct? Not a Samsung?
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-38...gaming-monitor
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / GIGABYTE 3866MHz GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MOBO / Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor (OC to 4.Eight) / G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD / EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Onboard Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ulrawide HD Monitor / Track IR4 / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals / Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (Modded)

Last edited by Fakum; 12-02-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Fakum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
KTFBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fakum View Post
As explained above, my GPU died, I have a store credit at BestBuy, I might as well get the best GPU they have to offer. Also explained above, I have an interest in VR, in which, as I have explained, even if it works out for me, I would NOT be able to use it all of the time, so I would need to use a monitor from time to time. I would need the horsepower of that GPU to run VR pleasantly. I dont necessarily need all of the horsepower to run on a monitor, but it would sure help facilitate adjusting the settings to max, even at 60Hz. The 60hz factor comes into play with the use of TrackIR. Yeah, I would love to run DCS at 144hz, but in reality, no one is getting solid 144hz or 120hz for that matter. Research has indicated that if you are using TrackIR, due to its refresh rates (of 120Hz) and DCS will not currently run at a rock solid 120, the advise is that your best off locking everything at Max 60 hz for smooth gameplay. Make sense now?
No. I use track IR. My max FPS is usually topped out at 90 with spikes up higher when flying at high altitude. I’ve never experienced anything weird from my track IR past 60fps. I certainly think you should get the card you are getting; no doubt. I’m building a rig in the next year and that’s the exact card that’s on my list. What I’m still not getting is spending that much money on a 60hz monitor. You can get a much better monitor, made for gaming, that has much more gaming features, over clocking on the monitor, better response times, much brighter nit rating, etc. for the same price. Put it on a arm mount if the screen doesn’t fill your field of view and pull it closer to you. That’s what I did. I have a 32” that I pull closer to me so that the monitor fills my whole fov. I’m just saying the 1600’vert. Resolution you are limiting yourself to really doesn’t make a lot a sense compared to other options out there.
KTFBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:22 PM   #23
Fakum

I was simply trying to avoid the microstutters associate with TrackIR by locking at 60, so i did not see any point to go with 75, 120, 144 etc. I am keeping an open mind though. Im curious as to what monitor is much better for gaming and costs about the same as the 38 inch from BestBuy that I have my eye on? Thanks
Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / GIGABYTE 3866MHz GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 MOBO / Intel i7-6700K 4.0GHz Processor (OC to 4.Eight) / G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA III SSD / EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid/ Onboard Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ulrawide HD Monitor / Track IR4 / Saitek Pro Flight Combat Pedals / Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS (Modded)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #24
KTFBGB

Quote:
I was simply trying to avoid the microstutters associate with TrackIR by locking at 60, so i did not see any point to go with 75, 120, 144 etc. I am keeping an open mind though. Im curious as to what monitor is much better for gaming and costs about the same as the 38 inch from BestBuy that I have my eye on? Thanks
Basically any gaming monitor you get will be better than the non gaming monitor you posted from Best Buy. If you want to avoid stuttering and have smooth game play then you have to go to 120 or 144. Folks may think they have smooth gameplay on 60hz until they play on a high refresh rate monitor. The difference is night and day. I have heard of micro stuttering with track iR but I have never experienced it. There are other factors to question with that. Like were they running the newest generation track Ir? Did they have it plugged into a USB 3.0? Did they have hardware capable of pushing the frame rates the monitor was capable of? Etc. Etc.

Look at AOC gaming monitors. Look at the HP gaming monitors. You want 120hz min. Honestly with the hardware available its hard to tell the difference between 120 and 144. Look for Gsync. Capable, look for high nit rating. Look for low input lag (less than 5ms). Look for monitor controls like boost or Over clocking on the monitor.

Stay away from 60hz. Stay away from any monitor that is advertised for work stations. The expensive work station monitors are made for graphic designers and professional use of photo shop and similar software where true color and fidelity are most important over performance. Made for different things than gaming.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #25
Fakum

Good advise, I am shifting now towards 120 Hz+. I have NEVER experienced any gameplay myself over 60 Hz, and I developed this 60 Hz mentality based on hours of reading thru threads revolving around DCS and Refresh rates, not just here but on Reddit also. Its kind of a mixed bag of theory. Ok,,, back to the drawing board, seems I have time, I did NOT see any great deals for Cyber Monday at all today anyway.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #26
KTFBGB

also don’t forget that either through user controls on your monitor or through Nvidia if you needed to you can lock the frame rate at sixty if it became a problem for you.I don’t think it will be a problem for you but that’s an option and then you have all of the built-in hardware in your new monitor to handle high frame rate stuff for other things as well as for DCS when they Finally switch to Vulcan
Old 12-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #27
Fakum

HOLY CANOLI!!!!! My anxiety is thru the roof! I can believe it myself,, ,I pulled the freakin trigger on the LG
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ultr...?skuId=6390310
I spent 2 more evening trying to find a 38" or even a 34" that was at the height I am accustom too (1600 min). I was strikin out everywhere except for the other LG that was only 60hz etc. I was on the fence with that one. Anywho, as far as I could tell, the newest LG was still on Pre-Order everywhere I looked. BestBuy site stated it was not in stock, but could be delivered by next Tuesday? I went to BB today and hashed this over with them,,, they said Nope! We can get it,,,,well,,,, I ordered it! it sucked up every bit of the store credit I had, with tax and i purchased the 4 year warranty. Now i have to order the GPU somewhere soon. Oh,,, wife doesnt know yet,, I will have to tell her when she gets home cause I need a credit card now to get GPU,,,, which reminds me,,, how come I dont see a special Thread for those needing a good, compassionate about DCS Divorce attorney????
Old 12-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
KTFBGB

Quote:
HOLY CANOLI!!!!! My anxiety is thru the roof! I can believe it myself,, ,I pulled the freakin trigger on the LG
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ultr...?skuId=6390310
I spent 2 more evening trying to find a 38" or even a 34" that was at the height I am accustom too (1600 min). I was strikin out everywhere except for the other LG that was only 60hz etc. I was on the fence with that one. Anywho, as far as I could tell, the newest LG was still on Pre-Order everywhere I looked. BestBuy site stated it was not in stock, but could be delivered by next Tuesday? I went to BB today and hashed this over with them,,, they said Nope! We can get it,,,,well,,,, I ordered it! it sucked up every bit of the store credit I had, with tax and i purchased the 4 year warranty. Now i have to order the GPU somewhere soon. Oh,,, wife doesnt know yet,, I will have to tell her when she gets home cause I need a credit card now to get GPU,,,, which reminds me,,, how come I dont see a special Thread for those needing a good, compassionate about DCS Divorce attorney????
Awesome! I’m glad you finally saw the light and got a high frame rate monitor. The specs on that monitor are very good and it should last you years before becoming obsolete and you won’t be bottle necking that too of the line GPU you are getting!
Old 12-06-2019, 06:14 AM   #29
EC145 Pilot

Best Buy just had the Oculus Go VR on sale for $150. Most people do not realize this, but it runs DCS just fine using ALVR and a 5g router. I’ve been using mine for several months and will continue to until the next gen units come out. I would rather fly the Huey on that than any flatscreen; it simply makes flying a much better experience because the depth perception is there, as well as the ability to visually scan and pick up peripheral cues and drift the same as I do in an actual helicopter. I’d go so far as to say its a better experience than the multi-million dollar 180 degree projection screen simulator we have at work. I don’t know about jets. I just know for helicopters, VR is visually the best simulation experience I’ve ever had.

Last edited by EC145 Pilot; 12-06-2019 at 06:16 AM.
EC145 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote