Really struggling with transition to landing config - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 12-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #21
Swiftwin9s

BuzzU, define success
Swiftwin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #22
BuzzU

Catching a wire. No bolter or wave offs.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #23
Swiftwin9s

Well carrier qualification requirements for new pilots are 10/12 day traps and 6/8 night traps, does that answer your question?
Swiftwin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 05:07 PM   #24
BuzzU

Yes, thanks.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:46 AM   #25
donkeyrider

It sounds like your issue is that you spend a lot of time tyring to hold 600ft in the downwind.

As other have mentioned two good techniques to minimize the ballooning is to:

1. drop the gear and flaps in the turn; or
2. wait to your airspeed is around 180 knots.

You should also try to anticipate the ballooning and use the joystick to adjust the pitch to offset it.
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:44 AM   #26
SPS48A

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
It sounds like your issue is that you spend a lot of time tyring to hold 600ft in the downwind.

As other have mentioned two good techniques to minimize the ballooning is to:

1. drop the gear and flaps in the turn; or
2. wait to your airspeed is around 180 knots.

You should also try to anticipate the ballooning and use the joystick to adjust the pitch to offset it.
Yes I struggle with altitude combined with the ballooning. I will practice getting gear and flaps in in the crosswind turn. I've been getting gear down OK but not flaps until in the downwind. Then it is chasing the AOA and altitude all the way in.

Thanks for all of the feedback. This thing has been a beast for me to learn to fly.
SPS48A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #27
LTRMcrew

I do not use curve for my throttle. I like having the direct control.

When banking the hornet it needs a lot more juice when in landing config at AoA, off memory i'm talking like 80%ish to maintain altitude. Then need to remember to remove that extra when going wings level. In the groove I'm moving the throttle (again this is muscle memory as I'm at work right now) between maybe 40-80% with "finer" movement in the 50-70% area. The movement is constant so it would be like 50 to 70 to 60 to 70 to 45 to 70 to 80 to 50 to 60 for example. The throttle basically doesn't stand still. I've also found it easier to once set up for AoA to never move the stick pitch forward and back, just don't, resist, as it will muck up the whole balance. Left and right bank ONLY once on AoA.

It's essentially the same movements for AAR (Air to Air Refueling) other than the AoA and dirty bits out. But keep the throttle moving, there's no sweet "spot" only a sweet range. And for the love of god relax your hand. This is by far the most influential but also the hardest thing to remember. When I find myself overcorrecting for AAR I'll think of my grip and sure enough I'm white knuckling it. Relaaaaaaax almost finger tip the stick. I'm not sure which resource I read it from but make much smaller movements than you think are necessary (credit might be @104th_mavrick). I'll repeat in my head "smaller movements than you think are necessary and relaaaaaax".
LTRMcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #28
Notso

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzU View Post
What percentage of success do real pilots have?
Well, of the ones who are still alive, I would say 100%
Notso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:20 PM   #29
earnil

Default Really struggling with transition to landing config

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS48A View Post
Damn, I must have made 200 attempts at landing this thing and can't seem to get it right. I can do OK with a 10 mile final with plenty of time to slow down and stabilized before the threshold, but I am really struggling with standard overhead patterns. There just doesn't seem to be enough time/distance to get this thing slowed down and stable before turning to base. What I find is when I make the brake and pull the speed brake, it starts to slow and when I hit 250 the gear goes down and I am fine. It continues to slow and when under 200 I put down flaps and bam, it balloons up and I have to apply forward stick to keep from shooting up well over 1500 feet AGL and then bam, airspeed drops like a rock and the thing falls out of the sky. There doesn't seem to be much time between the two to manage throttle. If i try to apply power to keep from dropping out of the sky, it just adds to the balloon and off I go into the wild blue yonder. I've even tried a two step flaps process - apply half flaps, delay while it slows, and then apply full flaps. By the time everything stabilizes I am either way downwind with a 2 mile final or into the base/final transition and unstable. I understand stroking the throttle and have tried that, but haven't found the right method to make that work.

Not bitching, just frustrated.

Any hints to get this under control? I have watched every YouTube video I can find.

I'm also having trouble maintaining pitch and altitude in normal flight and turns. Perhaps I have something set up in my joystick incorrectly. I do have a curve in as recommended by others but the Hornet sure appears to have a lot of pitch instability to me.

Comments?

You need to understand 2 important things.

1) Your stick doesn't control you flight control surfaces. It doesn't do pitch up/pitch down. It tells the FCS what you want and the FCS moves the flight control surfaces accordingly.

2) Your FCS has 2 different ways how to interpret what you want

a) in clean config the stick forward/aft tells the FCS what amount of G you want (and so does trim)

b) in landing configuration, the stick tells the FCS what amount of AoA you want (and so does trim)

So stop thinking about this in terms of pitch / speed. It's AoA from now on.

Let's go over what happens during the transition into landing config.

You fly level, clean, at 250kts. Your AoA will be about 4 degs and with stick neutral your FCS is maintaining happily 1G. As soon as you lower the gear and flaps, your FCS switches the modes and starts to worry only about AoA. Now, remember, it's current settings is AoA 4 degs. It's trimmed to 4 degs. But since you lowered your flaps, your wing is now generating much more lift and therefore, if the FCS want's to maintain 4 degs AoA it needs to pitch up. That's where the ballooning comes from.

But, you can use your stick to tell the FCS what kind of AoA you want, so you need to put stick forward to tell the FCS - yeah, I know the trim is set to 4 degs, but I would very much prefer if you maintain about 0 degs AoA (that's level flight with flaps down at 250kts).

Therefore, you need to use stick forward inputs to tell the FCS to decrease the commanded AoA. You're basically overriding your trim settings.

Since you set your engines on idle, the plane starts to slow down. As it slows down, it needs more AoA to maintain the lift. As a result, as you slow down, you will need to ease off the stick forward inputs otherwise you'd start to descent. So just ease on the stick to let the jet slow down while maintaining level flight.

At some point, as you slow down further, you will come to stick neutral position. This is a point where your trim settings match your stick command in terms of AoA.

As you ease of to neutral position, you slowly start to throttle up to stop the deceleration. If you time it well (and you just need to do it for couple of times to get the right feeling) you will end up with stick neutral, throttle somewhere above idle, level flight, AoA about 4 degs. From now on the jet will maintain this flight. If you want to descent, you decrease the throttle, as a result, to maintain stable AoA the FCS will command pitch down movement and you will descent. If you increase your throttle, in order to maintain stable AoA the FCS will pitch up, arresting the descent.

Next step is to trim to on speed trim settings - 8.1 degs. So as you trim up, you will notice that the jet will slow down because FCS is pitching up in order to maintain commanded AoA. You need to throttle up to keep the plane flying level. Ultimately you end up on 8.1 degs, on speed, level flight.

Here's some exercise for you - forget about the boat start with

1) flying straight and level, at 250kts, just lower both flaps and gear and use your stick inputs and throttle to stabilize on level flight. Forget about trim.

2) once you master that, try the same, but using the trim to get on speed. You can start with #1 and then just trim after you stabilize, then try to make it more fluent so that you end up with being able to do in one fluent take.

3) Start to do it in a break

4) Once you master all of that and feel comfortable, you can add the boat and start to try the landings.

Last edited by earnil; 12-10-2019 at 12:36 PM.
earnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #30
BuzzU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notso View Post
Well, of the ones who are still alive, I would say 100%

Well no. Post #21 and #22.