A2A Weapons deployment

Orr89

Now I know there isn't any golden written rule for this, however I am really struggling to get my head around the "Window" for deploying Fox 3's.

Maybe I'm just stupid but if I Fox3 on a bandit Hot to me at 8nm with a closure rate of 1000+ I generally expect to hit, however recently this isn't the case.

I've even heard other pilots comment "10nm isn't what it use to be". Now I'm not sure if this is to do with the introduction of the "buffs" to the AIM120c's.

But does anyone have the perpetrators to launch a Fox3 for the F18, I know the system will give you a cue etc and the jet does most of the work for you, but it isn't working.

As far as I can see I'm in the preferred position to Fox and yet the bandit will evade the missile pretty much 90% of the time.

Now I understand there are some outstanding pilots out there but several times I have watched as my missile goes pitbull then just drops lock.

I generally tend to fox approx 15-13nm to try and force the band it to go defensive. Then continue to press and fox again within 7-10nm.

I studied a fair bit of ACM and BFM with BMS in the F16, but BVR is a different beast all together. I've never been the best at it so holding my hand up to you guys for some help.

8 miles is pretty deadly with the current AMRAAM, though factors like altitude play a part.

While the missile should generally be able to maneuver with any target within 8 miles, the seeker has yet to be updated (this is coming later). Most missiles in DCS just kind of go magnetic for chaff. The AI on high difficulty is pretty good at exploiting this, so they tend evade shots they probably shouldn't be able too. I'm sure some good players can replicate that if they're really good at keeping SA and working out geometries. When the missile loses lock it also doesn't track the expected target position, it just flies straight. This isn't very good, but I think it's also being looked at by ED.

If the missile is being spoofed by chaff, there isn't really much you can do. You can try to be sneaky beforehand so that your target doesn't have the SA or time to notch, but if you go into a fight where the enemy sees you already, you just need to keep pressing in as much as you can to land a good hit. Maybe supplement with AIM-9's if you're getting really close.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I generally tend to fox approx 15-13nm to try and force the band it to go defensive. Then continue to press and fox again within 7-10nm

This is a sound tactic, its just that the number of pilots who know how to evade missiles is growing every day.

Missiles in DCS are woefully bad and in the right circumstances can be evaded almost easily if you are in the notch gate, so as you said there is no golden rule, BVR has now evolved in to several 'jousts' as the aircraft get closer to each other.

2 good pilots should be able to dodge all of each others missiles right up until the point that Fox2s come in to play. So to get a higher PK you either have to get as close as possible or you have to target people who are not targetting you.

If they are not painting you with their radar press in on them to get as close as possible and then start throwing sticks at him at around 5nm OR the second he looks at you with his radar when you're inside 10nm.

Keep grinding sir and results will come, S!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

I don't know the Fox codes so I just go w/ AIM 9, AIM 7, 120C etc. In single player flying the built-in missions I see the 7s as nearly worthless. 9s are good and 9X is really good. But my favorite is the 120C.

FOX 1: Semi-active radar guided missiles, such as the AIM-7

FOX 2: IR guided missiles, such as the AIM-9

FOX 3: Active radar guided missiles, such as the AIM-120

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro