Request - Dash Photos

Captain Orso

I have a minor request, that I think can't be that difficult.

Please remove the dashboard photos from the integrity check.

Unless I'm flying in VR (which I actually am) I can tape any number of notes, charts, pictures, emergency condoms, etc to my monitor, that DCS doesn't even know about. The idea that I might sneak some super-cheat check-list or picture onto my cockpit is just ridiculous.

So please remove it from the integrity check. Thank you.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

What cool hand said

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

You wouldn't want to point me to the directions on how to create a customer cockpit manybe? :huh:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

You wouldn't want to point me to the directions on how to create a customer cockpit manybe? :huh:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3307044/

Try the instructions here. You need a photo editor that will stretch/scale a photo in a pure horizontal or vertical direction, I suggest the freeware Gimp, and use the .dds plugin (not installed automatically) to export it.

If you have a photo already ready for use, you don't have to do that part, just replace the photo in the mod.

I'll look for the instructions on how to do it yourself (without a mod) but give me a minite

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Use Notepad++ to open description.lua files

1) Navigate to DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\P-51D\Liveries\Cockpit_P-51D-25-NA\default

2) Open the description.lua

3) Add a new line with the content {"p51d-cpt_photo", 0, "mustang_photo", false};

4) Save

5) Add your cockpit photo (in .dds format) to the folder default

6) Repeat steps 1-5 for P-51D-30-NA

Thanks for the tip, but above it say to use '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\...' and the instructions for the cockpit mod are to put them into '..\Eagle Dynamics\DCS{.openbeta}\..'.

Carrying those instructions over to Saved Games doesn't work.

BTW I've got several photos for the dash board I used to use all the time, before IC started complaining about them.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Thanks for the tip, but above it say to use '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\...' and the instructions for the cockpit mod are to put them into '..\Eagle Dynamics\DCS{.openbeta}\..'.

Carrying those instructions over to Saved Games doesn't work.

BTW I've got several photos for the dash board I used to use all the time, before IC started complaining about them.

No no, don't use the DCS folder in saved games. The instructions in my post above are where you should go.

If I said Saved Games that was a mistake in my part

So, I found a cockpit mod which actually installs into '..\Saved Games\DCS...' and used that as an example: DCS: P-51D / TF-51D Metric Airspeed Gauge Mod

Prerequisite (which I was already using):

Implement a Liveries folder for your custom liveries. Create a folder named 'Liveries' in '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\'. (You may alternatively use a Liveries folder outside 'Saved Games\DCS' by creating a soft-link named 'Liveries' inside '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\' pointing to the actual folder).

Optional: Using the same folder format as for '..\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World{ Openbeta}\Bazar\Liveries' put all your custom skins into this Liveries folder. DCS will recognize them automatically.

Inside 'Liveries' create folders 'Cockpit_P-51D-25-NA\default', 'Cockpit_P-51D-30-NA\default', and 'TF-51D\default'.

Within each default folder install the 'description.lua' files as per Magic Zach's post from 8:44 (#6) along with the 'mustang_photo.dds' graphics file.

I played around with this a little. If you change the 'default' folder name to something descriptive like 'My Dashboard Picture', it will appear in and Options -> Special -> P-51D where it can be selected as a custom cockpit... but then the picture doesn't appear :( So only hardcoding it through the 'default' folder is successful.

No no, don't use the DCS folder in saved games. The instructions in my post above are where you should go.

If I said Saved Games that was a mistake in my part

Cool-Hand said to use Saved Games, and you said, "What cool hand said" ;)

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

So, I found a cockpit mod which actually installs into '..\Saved Games\DCS...' and used that as an example: DCS: P-51D / TF-51D Metric Airspeed Gauge Mod

Prerequisite (which I was already using):

Implement a Liveries folder for your custom liveries. Create a folder named 'Liveries' in '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\'. (You may alternatively use a Liveries folder outside 'Saved Games\DCS' by creating a soft-link named 'Liveries' inside '..\Saved Games\DCS{.openbeta}\' pointing to the actual folder).

Optional: Using the same folder format as for '..\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World{ Openbeta}\Bazar\Liveries' put all your custom skins into this Liveries folder. DCS will recognize them automatically.

Inside 'Liveries' create folders 'Cockpit_P-51D-25-NA\default', 'Cockpit_P-51D-30-NA\default', and 'TF-51D\default'.

Within each default folder install the 'description.lua' files as per Magic Zach's post from 8:44 (#6) along with the 'mustang_photo.dds' graphics file.

I played around with this a little. If you change the 'default' folder name to something descriptive like 'My Dashboard Picture', it will appear in and Options -> Special -> P-51D where it can be selected as a custom cockpit... but then the picture doesn't appear :( So only hardcoding it through the 'default' folder is successful.

Cool-Hand said to use Saved Games, and you said, "What cool hand said" ;)

Ah shoot you're right. I keep forgetting you can use the Saved Games DCS folder like a mod storage folder. It's probably better there anyways, as my mod will be wiped (or the description.lua anyways) after every update.

So, I guess you figured it out?

Kind of, once you guys pointed me in the right direction.

The only thing that irritates me now (lol) that that I can't get the selection under options to work :D

Thanks again for the help :thumbup:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Kind of, once you guys pointed me in the right direction.

The only thing that irritates me now (lol) that that I can't get the selection under options to work :D

Thanks again for the help

This is an issue that I ran into as well, and I couldn't find a solution. The only way to make it work is to mod the default. It seems DCS will ignore a cockpit livery if it isn't one of the default ones